What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

GAME THREAD: Dick-Chards @ Buffs

Louisville CO is probably the only one that pronounces the "s".
I was giving my business address to a bank rep in Louisville, KY about a year ago and she didn't believe me that you were supposed to pronounced the 's'. I played it stupid, "why wouldn't you pronounce the 's'? .....you mean to say that Kentuckians try to talk like French people?!?!?!?"

Marilyn Smith Davis is an idot. She prolly moved here from California.

I’ve also been informed that Coloradans uniformly drop the hard “T” in the word mountains. Some even drop the “N.”

No T, No 1st N
We’re headin’ up to the MOW-inns.

No 1st N
Rocky Mout-end High

No T
The Moun-ins are calling & I must go.

What is the rule on “Mountains?”

I’ve also been informed that Coloradans uniformly drop the hard “T” in the word mountains. Some even drop the “N.”

No T, No 1st N

No 1st N
Rocky Mout-end High

No T

I believe I'm option 3, No T, but hard to judge your own speaking patterns.

I was giving my business address to a bank rep in Louisville, KY about a year ago and she didn't believe me that you were supposed to pronounced the 's'. I played it stupid, "why wouldn't you pronounce the 's'? .....you mean to say that Kentuckians try to talk like French people?!?!?!?"
My mom's from Kentucky, and I used to go back every summer. I'm very familiar with "Lou-ville". Louisville was the only town I could remember my freshman at CU along Hwy 36 between Denver and Boulder, so when someone would say they were from Wheat Ridge, Westiminster, Arvada, or whatever, I would say "How close is that to Lou-ville?".

I did receive many strange looks.

Almost as many as when I moved to Hermosa Beach, CA that has the PCH/Supelveda running through it. "How close is that to Supp-el-VEE-da?"

No T, No 1st N

No 1st N
Rocky Mout-end High

No T

My daughter says “Mou-uns.” I give her grief everytime I hear it.

I tend to pick up on regional accents and I consistently hear "mountain". And that word comes up a lot, I live at 9k and spend most recreational time even higher.

Wife confirms same.

Nothing sounded more hick to me when I moved here than some guy saying there was a great hatch on today "on the Pooder"..

Cache la Poudre. Is Poo-draw, not pooder.

Algorithms.

220px-Al_Gore%2C_Vice_President_of_the_United_States%2C_official_portrait_1994.jpg
250px-Juke_joint_drummer.jpg

Byew-na. (y)

Street in Durango is spelled Florida but pronounced florita.
Correct. It’s in the town charter to pronounce it that way. The honkeys that founded the town liked the name but didn’t want people to think it was a Mexican town.

Houston St. in NYC is “how-stun.” And why isn’t “Rodeo Dr.” pronounced “Road-ee-o?

Back