What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- Men's bball officially opens 2021/22 season hosting Montana State (Tues., 11/9, 8:00 PM MT, Pac 12 Mountain)

I gotta say, Da Silva was huge down the stretch when we needed him to play the 5 for a few minutes. THAT is exactly what we need from him - solid D, boxing out, and just doing the little things. I feel like he was trying to do too much the first 2/3 of the game. Don't know if he was trying to live up to Tad's hype or what, but it scared me. I was glad to see last year's Da Silva come back at the end.
I would agree with this. Both he and Clifford did exactly what we needed from them down the stretch.

Lots of good analysis. We could have folded against a pretty good and very experienced team. On the basis of minimal data so far what stands out to me is Clifford and Kee have made significant jumps with even more upside. TDS off night but super versatile on O and D, and glad he grew 2 inches. And Bari, 2 fouls yea!) Take away 6 TOs and he had a good game; he's still looks a bit of an untapped inconsistent star. Both will be major contributors. EP and EB were the solidity we need (Evan never gonna get many calls apparently. His post moves are explosive.) KJ, yep. a bit ball and shot happy but dynamic..gonna be good. Lawson huge upside.. LOB, I'm not disappointed yet. He's hard working, high character with athleticism and skill that is gonna improve and we just need minimal contributions from him this year.

What a fun game!

I agree with all of these post game takes (not as many in game takes though lol).

Some things that I don't think were mentioned:
Simpson was really impressive creating opportunities for others. He had some nice drop passes and kick-outs for open looks.
Kee played great on-ball defense.
DaSilva really did grow four inches.
Battey fired up the crowd late in the game when we needed it to get loud and did everything you want from a leader.
Jabari completely flipped a switch when we were down 11 or 13 and created a bunch of turnovers that allowed us to make that comeback. He was the best player on the court when he wanted to be and reaffirmed how good he is.
Samaki Walker is an impressive looking athlete even today. His shoulders are twice as broad as Jabari's.

Our "bigs" are:
Lovering 7'1
daSilva 6'10
Walker 6'9
Battey 6'8

That said, none of this matters because the game has changed. The days of Centers and low post play are done and gone.
One would have to count badly to get one out of that list of four.

Most important thing we need to discuss: hairstyles. Not a lot of excitement this year. Jabari went full XJ, so he better produce or the comparisons are going to be very annoying. Otherwise, it's mostly business short outside of KJ.

But LOB. I really think that haircut is holding him back.

Our "bigs" are:
Lovering 7'1
daSilva 6'10
Walker 6'9
Battey 6'8

That said, none of this matters because the game has changed. The days of Centers and low post play are done and gone.
I was worried early on cause Battey and Lovering were in foul trouble and that big dude from London looked like he was going to go to town.

I'm finding the KJ "needs to relax and slow down" talk interesting. I'm pretty sure Tad doesn't mind. That's his game. I wouldn't try to harness it. Add a little experience to his very apparent talent and you have a guy who could eventually be able to drop 15-20pts a game on any given night. I see a lot of Remy Martin (ugh) in him TBH.

I didn't talk about Lovering in my post last night. He clearly "gets it". He's gonna be good. He'll struggle at times this year because he isn't strong enough, but he's not Ben Mills skinny, he's young skinny and you can see that his frame is going to add 20-30 pounds of muscle easily. #13 and #3 for Montana State are both big strong dudes, and he did not back down.

I'm finding the KJ "needs to relax and slow down" talk interesting. I'm pretty sure Tad doesn't mind. That's his game. I wouldn't try to harness it. Add a little experience to his very apparent talent and you have a guy who could eventually be able to drop 15-20pts a game on any given night. I see a lot of Remy Martin (ugh) in him TBH.
I was going to make that comparison, maybe a little Tyger Campbell?

Fair criticism of player performance is acceptable. I don’t agree that he was a liability all night, but it’s a fair take. He didn’t have a good game, but gave some minutes to spell the other guys and that’s whatever.

This was a great win. Not an easy opponent to start the season, super happy to sneak a win out and am not bothered it took a big comeback or overtime. Just win. Welcome to college basketball everyone, it’s gonna be a ride. Ranked Ohio State barely beat Akron who they were favored by 16 over. Ranked Houston needed overtime to beat Hofstra who they were favored by 18 over. Ranked Virginia lost to Navy where I don’t even think there was a betting spread. It’s awesome.

Tad agrees. I noticed one atrocious LOB defensive mistake that had Tad like 20' onto the court, but after that I think LOB was pretty good defensively.

Last edited:
I was impressed with Lovering. Good hands, strong fundamentals on his post-up footwork, good court sense & passing.

Freshman big, so I didn't expect much. But he's got the tools to be a great player here.
He can shoot the 3, but it looks like he feels he has a complete RED LIGHT and should never shoot one. He is a good shooter

Most important thing we need to discuss: hairstyles. Not a lot of excitement this year. Jabari went full XJ, so he better produce or the comparisons are going to be very annoying. Otherwise, it's mostly business short outside of KJ.

But LOB. I really think that haircut is holding him back.
By far, the best hair style on the team is Tad’s.

Last edited:
MSU is a possible tourney team. The takes in these game threads never cease to amaze.
Going in, I thought it was going to be one of the tipping point games for our OOC resume. And they're better than I thought they were.

Their 3 at the end of the half and that 45 footer as the shot clock ran out late in the second half just had me, I don’t know a word, consternated. I was like, “Really?” The three point shot can be such an equalizer.

Their 3 at the end of the half and that 45 footer as the shot clock ran out late in the second half just had me, I don’t know a word, consternated. I was like, “Really?” The three point shot can be such an equalizer.
It's a much different game these days. When I see some shots these guys take today, I just think my ass would've been sitting had I tried it. :D Football, it is much different as well.

Bobby Hurley says ”hold my beer”. 😁

Back