What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- Men's bball officially opens 2021/22 season hosting Montana State (Tues., 11/9, 8:00 PM MT, Pac 12 Mountain)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The team has its 1st official game of the season scheduled for tomorrow evening, as the Buffs (last season - 23-9 overall, 14-6 in the Pac 12) start their 2021/22 campaign hosting the Montana State U. Fighting Bobcats (last season - 13-10 overall, 8-6 in Big Sky Conf. play.)

Obviously a new season, but for basic reference- at the end of last season, MSU ended up #212 in the NET ratings and #184 in Massey, while the Buffs were at #9 and #10, respectively.

There's more detail and links near the bottom of this post, but TV coverage is scheduled for the Pac 12 Mountain channel.

Go Buffs!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more info on MSU:

Roster
- https://msubobcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats (From last season) - https://msubobcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats#individual
Schedule/ results for this season - https://msubobcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - https://msubobcats.com/news/2021/11...d-to-boulder-to-open-season-versus-buffs.aspx

Note- A couple things from the article:
  • "Colorado and Montana State have met seven times previously, but only three matchups have taken place in the previous 90 years. MSU won all three of those contests by tight margins with victories in Boulder on Dec. 21, 1994 (74-72) and Nov. 8, 2008 (85-82 OT), as well as a win in the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse on Dec. 29, 1998 (78-75). "
  • It sounds like MSU is a very experienced team, with their 3 senior leaders (who lead in scoring last season, all at around 14-15 points per game) all choosing to come back for their 5th seasons.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links -

Game Notes
- https://cubuffs.com/documents/2021/11/8/cunotes_montana_state.pdf

Live video - Match is scheduled to be shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to any Pac 12 channel, assume it can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/mens-basketball/event/2021/11/09/montana-state-colorado.
EDIT - Per the preview in the below post, sounds like this game may be free for ALL who have or add the Pac 12 App.

Live Audio - No link(s) I can find right now. Assuming this is like last season, I assume it might (???) be on 850 AM and 94.1 FM, as well as through links on the cubuffs site.

Live stats - No link I can find now. However, if like prior seasons, they should be available at https://admin.cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary .

Last edited:
Official cubuffs preview (looks more like notes in this case) now out - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/11/8/...ially-tip-off-tuesday-with-montana-state.aspx

"
BROADCAST NOTE: Tuesday's game will air on Pac-12 Mountain. The Pac-12 is opening up access via the Pac-12 Now app and on Pac-12.com for all 12 games to ALL fans, with more than 10 hours of basketball available for free. The Pac-12 Now app is free to download and available via iOS, Android, Apple TV and Amazon Fire.

THE SEASON: Colorado officially opens the 119th season of varsity men's basketball by hosting Montana State on Tuesday, Nov. 9.

ABOUT THE BOBCATS: Montana State begins its season regular season after a couple lopsided exhibition wins. The Bobcats routed NAIA Providence (Mont.) 108-63 on Oct. 25 and Yellowstone Christian (Mont.) 116-42 on Nov. 3.

Montana State returns all five starters and eight letterwinners from a team that finished 13-10 in 2020-21 and tied for fourth in the Big Sky Conference at 8-6. The Bobcats came within in one game of the NCAA Tournament last season, losing to Eastern Washington in the Big Sky Tournament final.

Senior guard Xavier Bishop and junior forward Jubrile Belo were named to the Big Sky's Preseason All-Conference Team. Bishop averaged 13.9 points, 3.9 assists and 3.1 rebounds per game last season, earning second team all-conference honors. Belo averaged 14.0 points and 5.9 rebounds in 2020-21, ranking second on the team in both categories. Senior guard Amin Adamu led the Bobcats in scoring last year at 14.7 points per game.

THE SERIES: This will be the eighth meeting between Colorado and Montana State with the Bobcats holding a 6-1 advantage. Montana State has won the last six, with the last coming in an 85-82 overtime decision in Boulder on Nov. 18, 2008. Only three of those all-time encounters have taken place in the last 91 years. Colorado's lone win was the first meeting, a 25-19 decision in Boulder on Feb. 13, 1924.
Tad Boyle is 4-4 as a head coach against Montana State, all coming while he was at Northern Colorado.
"

We should win easily, but these early season games produce a lot of upsets.

Who benefits from an 8 o'clock start? No one. Keeps familys with kids, and out of town folks away. Somebody from Greeley is going to drive 80 minutes each way to watch a 2nd rate opponent, so they can get home at midnight and work the next day? 6 or 6:30.

RG must be too busy fine-tuning the FB team.

Who benefits from an 8 o'clock start? No one. Keeps familys with kids, and out of town folks away. Somebody from Greeley is going to drive 80 minutes each way to watch a 2nd rate opponent, so they can get home at midnight and work the next day? 6 or 6:30.

I will blame RG for any and everything, but this one probably isn't on him. This is a TV thing. First game is at 2 pm (Cal), then 4 (Oregon), 6 (USC) and then 8 (UCLA). Other games are lined up around those times too to minimize bleed.

Official cubuffs preview (looks more like notes in this case) now out - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/11/8/...ially-tip-off-tuesday-with-montana-state.aspx

"
BROADCAST NOTE: Tuesday's game will air on Pac-12 Mountain. The Pac-12 is opening up access via the Pac-12 Now app and on Pac-12.com for all 12 games to ALL fans, with more than 10 hours of basketball available for free. The Pac-12 Now app is free to download and available via iOS, Android, Apple TV and Amazon Fire.

THE SEASON: Colorado officially opens the 119th season of varsity men's basketball by hosting Montana State on Tuesday, Nov. 9.

ABOUT THE BOBCATS: Montana State begins its season regular season after a couple lopsided exhibition wins. The Bobcats routed NAIA Providence (Mont.) 108-63 on Oct. 25 and Yellowstone Christian (Mont.) 116-42 on Nov. 3.

Montana State returns all five starters and eight letterwinners from a team that finished 13-10 in 2020-21 and tied for fourth in the Big Sky Conference at 8-6. The Bobcats came within in one game of the NCAA Tournament last season, losing to Eastern Washington in the Big Sky Tournament final.

Senior guard Xavier Bishop and junior forward Jubrile Belo were named to the Big Sky's Preseason All-Conference Team. Bishop averaged 13.9 points, 3.9 assists and 3.1 rebounds per game last season, earning second team all-conference honors. Belo averaged 14.0 points and 5.9 rebounds in 2020-21, ranking second on the team in both categories. Senior guard Amin Adamu led the Bobcats in scoring last year at 14.7 points per game.

THE SERIES: This will be the eighth meeting between Colorado and Montana State with the Bobcats holding a 6-1 advantage. Montana State has won the last six, with the last coming in an 85-82 overtime decision in Boulder on Nov. 18, 2008. Only three of those all-time encounters have taken place in the last 91 years. Colorado's lone win was the first meeting, a 25-19 decision in Boulder on Feb. 13, 1924.
Tad Boyle is 4-4 as a head coach against Montana State, all coming while he was at Northern Colorado.
"
Crazy statistic that Montana state is 6-1 against CU, and neither does Tad have a winning record against them.

Add on that Montana State is a veteran team against the youth of CU, this may be a far closer game than most realize.

9PM local time weeknight tips are incredibly normal across the college hoops world. Bïtching about 8PM is ridiculous.

9PM local time weeknight tips are incredibly normal across the college hoops world. Bïtching about 8PM is ridiculous.

Ill take a 6pm tip, or even a 5pm tip every day. Allows kids to come, get home at a reasonable hour, etc.

8pm tip also doesnt help the east coast bias given few people are going to stay up till midnight to watch CU play Montana State, so all they will see is either the scoreboard tomorrow saying it was a blow out and not care, or a close game (or loss) and then say "wow, CU must not be good this year". With no eyes on the game, no one to come back with, that was a close game, Montana State was better than I expected.

I get the TV constraints, but what other benefit does a 8pm or later tip have?

Ill take a 6pm tip, or even a 5pm tip every day. Allows kids to come, get home at a reasonable hour, etc.

8pm tip also doesnt help the east coast bias given few people are going to stay up till midnight to watch CU play Montana State, so all they will see is either the scoreboard tomorrow saying it was a blow out and not care, or a close game (or loss) and then say "wow, CU must not be good this year". With no eyes on the game, no one to come back with, that was a close game, Montana State was better than I expected.

I get the TV constraints, but what other benefit does a 8pm or later tip have?
TV provides the most revenue and the most exposure for improving recruiting and the CU brand, and therefore, IMHO, trumps all other considerations.

However, I do think there's a fan advantage to 8PM tips in allowing someone who has to work until 5PM to finish their work day, get dinner and drink a beer or two while still making it to the game for tip. I get that it's late for young kids, but in reality, CU doesn't draw that many family units w/ kids for 7PM tips either -- I'm not convinced it would make a difference.

I don't have the time to mine the data now, but I'd be curious what average attendance from 2016 - 2019 was for 7PM, 8PM and 9PM Mon - Thursday games. My intuition is that the differences are not significant.

Crazy statistic that Montana state is 6-1 against CU, and neither does Tad have a winning record against them.

Add on that Montana State is a veteran team against the youth of CU, this may be a far closer game than most realize.
I'm thinking that too. This one will likely go down pretty close to the wire. Something like 71-65. The keys will be sticking DaSilva on Belo, hitting maybe 28-30% from three (it's not that hard!), rebound like maniacs, and don't let an unflushable turd like RaeQuon Battle or some other bench guy go off and beat you.

TV provides the most revenue and the most exposure for improving recruiting and the CU brand, and therefore, IMHO, trumps all other considerations.

However, I do think there's a fan advantage to 8PM tips in allowing someone who has to work until 5PM to finish their work day, get dinner and drink a beer or two while still making it to the game for tip. I get that it's late for young kids, but in reality, CU doesn't draw that many family units w/ kids for 7PM tips either -- I'm not convinced it would make a difference.

I don't have the time to mine the data now, but I'd be curious what average attendance from 2016 - 2019 was for 7PM, 8PM and 9PM Mon - Thursday games. My intuition is that the differences are not significant.

Agreed TV trumps all, just wish we were in-front of more eyes which 8pmMT doesn't help with. Win, become a program everyone wants to see, it will change.

As far as attendance, I doubt there is too much of a difference, particularly with tickets sold. 8/9pm tip you start to lose the blue hairs too. I also agree with you the scenario of getting off, grab dinner and go to the game. But, I don't work till 5pm, so it doesn't matter to me, and well, the world revolves around me, so you should all comply! :LOL:

"Incredibly normal"? Almost all games start by 7 local time, most are earlier. Look on your betting site. Can you find a dozen incredibly normal games tipping off at 8 local today - except for Cali teams hoping to suk up some east coast viewers with nothing else on. Absolutely no one gains anything by this late CU start and it deinitely cuts into the gate.

We've got a number of things to deal with:

Walker is a star in waiting, but he'll wait forever if he cant't control the fouling. And, if you change your game too much to prevent fouling, your opponent takes advantage. He and DeS could be 'lights out' together.

Lovering seems to have a ways to go. But to me, more on the mental than physical side.

I think EB, bless his heart, needs to relax a little.

Simmons will explode, one of these games.

From BuffZone:

"Former CU point guard McKinley Wright IV put together a huge night in the NBA G League on Monday, scoring 35 points in the Iowa Wolves’ double overtime win against Sioux Falls. Wright went 14-for-24 overall and 4-for-7 on 3-pointers, adding five rebounds, five assists and only two turnovers in 41 minutes. The Wolves won on a Wright 4-point play with 0.2 seconds remaining in the second overtime…Former CU center Dallas Walton started for Wake Forest in its exhibition game last week against Winston-Salem State, going 0-for-2 from the floor with one point and five rebounds. The Demon Deacons open the regular season Tuesday night against William & Mary." (Horne had 15 in his 1st game)

"Incredibly normal"? Almost all games start by 7 local time, most are earlier. Look on your betting site. Can you find a dozen incredibly normal games tipping off at 8 local today - except for Cali teams hoping to suk up some east coast viewers with nothing else on. Absolutely no one gains anything by this late CU start and it deinitely cuts into the gate.

I don't gamble and I don't have a betting site. looking at Virginia Tech's schedule, they have six 9PM weeknight games this year. UNC and Duke have four each. Kentucky and Indiana have three each. yes, it's "incredibly normal". The exceptions seem to be the B1G schools in the CTZ and the Pac 12 schools in the PTZ. No question that 7PM local tips are more common, especially for teams that draw big audiences, but 9PM is normal.

as far as cutting into the gate, again, I'd like to see attendance numbers at CU over the last 4-5 years comparing numbers for weeknight 7PM, 8PM, 9PM tips. You may be right, but I suspect it's not a significant difference.

I'm excited to get eyes on these guys. Keeshawn is looking bigger and quicker in the exhibition highlights. It would be huge for this team if he is a dude this year. I wasn't high on him last year but he flipped the script late in the season and in the tourney.

Dish and Pac12 Network are televising all of the men's games today. So I get to watch a game on an alternate channel. I don't like 9 PM Central time starts and probably won't be awake by the end of the game.

I benefit greatly from these late starts. Having to drive up from Aurora, if I leave at 6, it's a 45-55 minute drive. If I have to make it to a 6 PM tip, I'm lucky if I make it in 80-90.

IT IS NOVEMBER. 7 or 8 start times on weeknights are ideal. Enough time to get out of work, drive up, drink and eat at the Dark Horse. FOH with saying 5 or 6 is better. Go Buffs!

IT IS NOVEMBER. 7 or 8 start times on weeknights are ideal. Enough time to get out of work, drive up, drink and eat at the Dark Horse. FOH with saying 5 or 6 is better. Go Buffs!

If I’m going to the game with tiny people, give me a 6 pm tip.

If watching on TV, give me an 8 so they’re in bed.

So it begins yet again with the sh!t officiating in this conference. SSDD.

Back