What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread-MEN'S bball hosts CSU (Thurs., 12/8/22 7:00 MT, ESPN2), No. Alabama (Thurs., 12/15 6:30 MT, Pac 12 Net.) and UNC (Sun.,3:00, Pac 12 Net.)

Yup. We need Ruffin to figure **** out to take minutes from Ethan and Hammond. His shot is flat as **** and it pisses @Ruckus off, but that dude can shoot.
Ruffin has figured it out for the most part and continues to get better every game. Keep in mind he's only 11 games into his career. I do think his minutes will increase, but right now it seems that Tad is just being stubborn by playing Wright. There might be a little bit of ego involved with him not wanting to admit he totally whiffed by adding him to this roster.

I don't understand why we didn't throw Quincy in when we were up 25 at the under 8 timeout. If you put him in with time left you have the ability to yank him out when he doesn't play defense up to your standards. You can then give him some feedback and put him back in to close out the game.

Tad owes it to himself to try to make things work with Quincy. Some in game criticism may work better than whatever is happening in practice.

We don't have many more opportunities to have extended garbage time and it seemed silly to play a 7-8 man rotation until there was a minute left.

I don't understand why we didn't throw Quincy in when we were up 25 at the under 8 timeout. If you put him in with time left you have the ability to yank him out when he doesn't play defense up to your standards. You can then give him some feedback and put him back in to close out the game.

Tad owes it to himself to try to make things work with Quincy. Some in game criticism may work better than whatever is happening in practice.

We don't have many more opportunities to have extended garbage time and it seemed silly to play a 7-8 man rotation until there was a minute left.
If Quincy only gets played with the walkons, that means he's not earned more than that. His talent is obvious. But if he won't buy in, Tad can't reward him with minutes. And if getting stuck with the walkons doesn't motivate him.... **** man, there's only so much a coach can do.

My son and I were wondering about this last night. N. Alabama was DONE by the 8 minute TO. There was no run coming and we were up by 21. Tad's decision to basically have 4 starters in down the stretch was odd and borderline stupid. That worry that one of these guys would roll an ankle on a stupid, meaningless play was top of mind. Giving our 2nd group 6-7 minutes of real play down the stretch would've been invaluable.

My son and I were wondering about this last night. N. Alabama was DONE by the 8 minute TO. There was no run coming and we were up by 21. Tad's decision to basically have 4 starters in down the stretch was odd and borderline stupid. That worry that one of these guys would roll an ankle on a stupid, meaningless play was top of mind. Giving our 2nd group 6-7 minutes of real play down the stretch would've been invaluable.
Tad probably had his reasons. Maybe he wanted to see the starters push through and finish the game. Maybe they were working on offensive sets. etc etc. At that point, it is practice time.

If Quincy only gets played with the walkons, that means he's not earned more than that. His talent is obvious. But if he won't buy in, Tad can't reward him with minutes. And if getting stuck with the walkons doesn't motivate him.... **** man, there's only so much a coach can do.
The narrative that the issue with Quincy is work ethic is completely wrong.

Feels like we're overthinking this. I also like that Allen appears to sleepwalk into points. I like that Allen looks to be a good teammate and well-liked. I also like that Tad Boyle is playing the players that can give effort on defense consistently. Is it possible that all of these thoughts can coexist?

Excited for Allen to continue to grow and hope we see a lot more of him as the year goes on and next year

The narrative that the issue with Quincy is work ethic is completely wrong.
I'm not saying it's work ethic. I don't know what it is. But you can't play a guy that hasn't earned the time by showing that he knows what he's supposed to do. It would be surprising if it is purely an inability to grasp his role. Tad has publicly said Quincy is inconsistent and Tad doesn't know what he will get from him day to day. The "why" there is up for debate.

I get that but what I proposed IS something else he can try. Something is not getting through mentally and maybe getting a taste of playing time and then getting yanked will be the motivation he needs.

Agreed. I was saying the same thing. They had completely given up and it was a perfect opportunity to play the guys that don't get any minutes.

I'm not saying it's work ethic. I don't know what it is. But you can't play a guy that hasn't earned the time by showing that he knows what he's supposed to do. It would be surprising if it is purely an inability to grasp his role. Tad has publicly said Quincy is inconsistent and Tad doesn't know what he will get from him day to day. The "why" there is up for debate.
I agree. He needs to earn his way into more minutes. My bigger concern is certain decisions by Tad of late. Listen, I'm the biggest Tad Boyle sunshine pumper there is, but I'm concerned by some things he's done/continues to do of late.

I agree. He needs to earn his way into more minutes. My bigger concern is certain decisions by Tad of late. Listen, I'm the biggest Tad Boyle sunshine pumper there is, but I'm concerned by some things he's done/continues to do of late.
Details!

Just a taste: I think we completely failed to fill needs last offseason. 2 small Ivys vs a front court replacement was a complete miss in my opinion. I also think our lineup and rotations in certain situations is poor. The ASU game was a prime example of this. Things like the fact we had starters in the game until about 2:00 left last night was puzzling as well. The fact our nightly effort is so bipolar and continues to be that way, etc...

Just a taste: I think we completely failed to fill needs last offseason. 2 small Ivys vs a front court replacement was a complete miss in my opinion. I also think our lineup and rotations in certain situations is poor. The ASU game was a prime example of this. Things like the fact we had starters in the game until about 2:00 left last night was puzzling as well. The fact our nightly effort is so bipolar and continues to be that way, etc...
I think going for 2 ivy guards instead of 1 is a concern... but don't forget he did have a big before admissions screwed him. Hadley is a hell of a backup save. As for the ASU game, what lineups would you like him to have played? Every single guard imploded. Then TDS gave the game away too. No one was safe.

I think going for 2 ivy guards instead of 1 is a concern... but don't forget he did have a big before admissions screwed him. Hadley is a hell of a backup save. As for the ASU game, what lineups would you like him to have played? Every single guard imploded. Then TDS gave the game away too. No one was safe.
Tad still has the tendency to leave his 2nd group in too long when opponents inevitably make a run on them. This is what happened against ASU. I didn't need to see Gabbidon, Wright, Hammond, TDS and Clifford in the game for a full 4+ minute stretch as the lead was slashed apart. Take a TO, take 2 if you need to get certain guys a blow and regroup for god's sake.

I'm pretty sure Tad thought Hurlburt could give him minutes this season.

I'm pretty sure Tad thought Hurlburt could give him minutes this season.
Probably, but his game really isn't in the paint. And the minute you saw him on campus in June (Buck 90 and no muscle) I would've been worried. But you're right, what was done was done by that point transfer-wise.

Klintman would have solved a lot of problems. He looks good at Wake.

after a decade, I think it's safe to say that we'll never fully understand Tad's rotation/minute allocation choices

I don't want to spend too much time on the what-ifs, but this team is one piece away from consistently playing at a top 25 level this season – whether that would have been Klintman (assuming we get to keep Hadley in that scenario), Key staying, or having one of Nique, Allen, or an Ivy meet baseline expectations. as a fan it's very frustrating to watch

I agree with the majority here. give Ruffin more minutes and see how he grows. he's the only guy who has earned it, but hasn't really had the opportunity to get in the flow with extended minutes. it's sad to see Nique entering JAG territory, he doesn't even look to be playing hard

we are 0-2 in conference play. continuing with the status quo conservative lineups won't help us this season

after a decade, I think it's safe to say that we'll never fully understand Tad's rotation/minute allocation choices

I don't want to spend too much time on the what-ifs, but this team is one piece away from consistently playing at a top 25 level this season – whether that would have been Klintman (assuming we get to keep Hadley in that scenario), Key staying, or having one of Nique, Allen, or an Ivy meet baseline expectations. as a fan it's very frustrating to watch

I agree with the majority here. give Ruffin more minutes and see how he grows. he's the only guy who has earned it, but hasn't really had the opportunity to get in the flow with extended minutes. it's sad to see Nique entering JAG territory, he doesn't even look to be playing hard

we are 0-2 in conference play. continuing with the status quo conservative lineups won't help us this season
Nique isn’t even in JAG territory. He’s below that. In 6 of 11 games this year he’s had 1 or fewer made field goals, four of those games were 0. He’s shooting 38%, 28 from 3, 45 from FT line. That’s really bad and cannot be the stats from a starter if you want your team to win.

PG is fine with KJ, Hammond, Ruffin, despite some games with horrible turnovers. Missing Key isn’t the issue with this team. Down low is fine with LL, TDS, Hadley. Aren’t getting the offense from LL, but the others make up for it and like I’ve pointed out before, that’s not something you need from a center. Guards and wings score. LL does the other stuff.

And that’s where we get to our problem. No wings have stepped up. Nique, LOB, Wright, Gabbidon, Quincy. That’s the glaring weakness where we need someone who can consistently score to help out KJ/TDS, without being a negative on D.

Today would be a good day for a 'breakout' game by LL.
I think he's played pretty well so far, and against some tough players. Obviously, he needs to gain O confidence and learn how to get to the basket.
Today he is playing against a lot of local kids, hopefully a step down from the P12, and he should be more comfortable.

Back