What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S BBALL restarts Pac 12 play visiting Stanford (Thursday, 12/29/22, 9:00 PM MT; ESPNU) & Cal (Saturday, 4:00 PM MT, Pac 12 Network)

Media after last night's W -

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/12/29/mens-basketball-buffs-at-stanford.aspx

"
STANFORD, Calif. — KJ Simpson scored Colorado's last 11 points of the game Thursday night, including the go-ahead bucket and two free throws in the final 18 seconds, to lift CU to a 73-70 road win over Stanford at Maples Pavilion.

Simpson finished with a career-high 31 points as Tad Boyle's Buffs improved to 9-5 overall and 1-2 in Pac-12 play with their fifth straight win. Stanford fell to 5-8, 0-3.

The Buffs trailed by four at the half and by as much as eight early in the second period. They closed the gap to one at multiple junctures after intermission but couldn't get over the hump until Simpson hit two free throws with just more than two minutes remaining to give CU a 69-68 lead.

Stanford then momentarily regained the lead but the Buffs came up with a big defensive stop in the final minute. Simpson then delivered a drive along the baseline to give Colorado a 71-70 lead with 17 seconds left.

CU's Luke O'Brien followed with another key defensive stop, Simpson rebounded and was fouled and he calmly hit two free throws with 3 seconds remaining to provide the game's final points.

Joining Simpson in double figures for the Buffs were O'Brien with a career-high 12 and Lawson Lovering with a career-high 10. Simpson also led CU in rebounds with seven, O'Brien nabbed six and Lovering grabbed five.

Spencer Jones led Stanford with 25 points.

After a less-than-stellar first half effort, the Buffs kept themselves in the game after intermission with rebounding and defense. The Buffs outrebounded Stanford 23-15 in the final 20 minutes and held Stanford to just 30 percent shooting in the second half after the Cardinal had hit 52 percent of its shots in the opening half.

"We really got on them at halftime and challenged them," Boyle said. "Boy did they respond. Our defense in the second half really cranked up."

TURNING POINT: This one wasn't decided until the final minute. The Buffs came up with two critical defensive stops and scored both times on the offensive end to collect the win.

WHAT IT MEANS: The Buffs avoided an 0-3 start in Pac-12 play and picked up a critical road victory in the process. They have a chance for a road sweep when they play at Cal on Saturday.

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs outrebounded Stanford 23-15 in the final 20 minutes to finish with a 33-30 overall edge on the boards … Colorado held Stanford to just 30 percent shooting in the second half after the Cardinal had hit 52 percent of its shots in the opening half … CU finished with 22 points off 14 Stanford turnovers … CU shot 48 percent from the field (27-for-56).

NEXT UP: The Buffs continue their road trip to the Bay Area on Saturday with a 4 p.m. game at Cal (Pac-12 Network). Colorado then returns home next week for a pair of games, hosting Oregon on Thursday in a 7 p.m. game at the CU Events Center and Oregon State on Saturday in a 7:30 p.m. game.
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23/stanford/boxscore/16059

I missed the game. Knowing we won and reading through the posts, in hindsight, posted as the game was progressing is hilarious! I think when Tad retires we should hire @ZandiBuff and @Da Lama for our next HC and AC!!
Tad's career has been amazing.

What I've learned on AllBuffs is that he is not a good recruiter, is terrible at roster management, does not develop players, can't coach offense, is clueless on X's and O's, and is a total idiot when it comes to game management & timeout usage.

He must be the luckiest mother****er on the planet who is also making a living off the prestige and resources that make CU Basketball an elite brand which carries him along on those coattails.

I think Clifford has to be in a rotation with LL, TDS, Hadley, KJ, LOB, Hammond, and some possible minutes of Gabbidon, Ruffin. And still waiting for that QA emergence. We have to trust that Tad/staff have insights we don't on all of this. I am afraid Hadley is going to be neutralized somewhat on the PAC against height. Doesn't he have a 10-12' jumper? So glad to see the pick and rolls with LL. KJ needs help (TDS?!) or teams will lock him down.

I think Clifford has to be in a rotation with LL, TDS, Hadley, KJ, LOB, Hammond, and some possible minutes of Gabbidon, Ruffin. And still waiting for that QA emergence. We have to trust that Tad/staff have insights we don't on all of this. I am afraid Hadley is going to be neutralized somewhat on the PAC against height. Doesn't he have a 10-12' jumper? So glad to see the pick and rolls with LL. KJ needs help (TDS?!) or teams will lock him down.
Hadley has to start actually taking jump shots. No idea why he thinks he's nothing but a post up player.

What I've learned on AllBuffs is that he is not a good recruiter, is terrible at roster management, does not develop players, can't coach offense, is clueless on X's and O's, and is a total idiot when it comes to game management & timeout usage.

He must be the luckiest mother****er on the planet who is also making a living off the prestige and resources that make CU Basketball an elite brand which carries him along on those coattails.
Plus HE DOESN’T KNOW WHEN TO CALL A TIME OUT!!!!

This is why we will lose in Berkeley.

the matchup at center should be fun to watch.
LL going against Theimann, 7'1", 260 senior , who has a ton of experience, but not a great player - except rebounding (12+)

We've looked bad this year, but nothing like this. This is...unreal. We look like a HS JV team.

Clifford's massive air ball 3 at the buzzer tells you all you need to know about him and this game. Takes a great pass, plenty of time, wide open look from the corner, and misses by 5 feet. Don't look at the box score. Trust me.

Plus HE DOESN’T KNOW WHEN TO CALL A TIME OUT!!!!
Sure was a good use of them here in the first half. Didn't need to stop any of that there CAL momentum.

Ir ****ing put Nique on the next bus home - sure as **** doesn't deserve a seat on the plane.

Tad does get his never used first half TO bonus though.

Nique needs to be in a rotation with QA in the "never sees the court" part of the ****ing bench.

Nique needs to be in a rotation with QA in the "never sees the court" part of the ****ing bench.
QA can't be any worse than Clifford. Just can't be. Sh!t, Hurlburt can't be any worse than 2-3 of the dudes getting good minutes.

You basically have KJ trying to do too much because yet again he's getting jack sh!t for help and jack just left the building.

And I agree on the TOs. What the hell are we saving them for?

QA can't be any worse than Clifford. Just can't be. Sh!t, Hurlburt can't be any worse than 2-3 of the dudes getting good minutes.

You basically have KJ trying to do too much because yet again he's getting jack sh!t for help and jack just left the building.

And I agree on the TOs. What the hell are we saving them for?
Well at least we'll get to see how we do without KJ now.

This has to be a huge wake up call for Tad. This line up doesn't work. Do something different. You can't rely one KJ to have got level performance every single game.

Back