What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Here is what is going on....

Here is why I think they should go. Right or wrong, the FB team is the most visible, and as far as the alumni are concerned, accessible reflection of the University. IF the two admins I metioned got involved, then they do not understand the University wide effect of their meddling. Donors are voting with their dollars because that is the only vote they have.

Sending the message loud and clear that mediocrity, or in this case, sub-mediocrity, will be tolerated reflects poorly on the whole University. I happen to believe Bohn was overruled. These two political ivory tower hacks have created a situation where the University has lost a TON in donations, prestige and reputation. They were in charge, it happened on their watch, they bear the penalty.

I understand everyone's frustrations, as I'm upset as well. However, I'm with Junc on that Distefano and Benson should not be fired over the way the football team is doing. They run the University side of CU, not the sports side, and if it does get confirmed in the press (not internet rumors or speculation) that either of them interfered...then so what? Yes, that's shady of them, and really annoying. Yes, they overstepped what should have been their jurisdiction...that does not mean they should be fired. Are they taking care of the university side of CU? Cech recently came back to CU, so our Chemistry program has some more notoriety. Our engineering programs are still doing well. I don't know too much about the other schools, but I think the two of them are doing okay - they just made a horrible hire in Bohn and may have intefered. The academic side of CU has not been damaged at all by our football woes, and it's preposterous to think so. Sure, some kids that are looking to do their undergrad at a great football school might not apply to CU, but I'm pretty confident that CU's incoming classes will do just fine in upholding CU's academic credibility without those football-crazed kids.

Yes, I would like the entire school to support the athletics more, but I think they are still two different entities, although they do rely on each other in many ways.

Also, Hornbuff is completely right - I forget the other names and arguments, but Mack is NOT a great coach. He is a great program builder though. His Chrissy Sims decision over Applewhite alone shows how moronic he is, but Applewhite still likes Mack. Everyone likes Mack. He's a great recruiter and he knows how to foster relationships. He also knows how to hire assistants.

Hawk knows how to do everything Mack does, except hire assistants. This is all personal opinion, but Hawk has done well in building CU recognition in CO HS. He has doen well in getting peole around the program excited (until this year of course, but that's due to losing). He has done well in developing relationships. He just sucks with the on-field product and hiring assistants, and this is starting to effect his ability to get people excited, get CO HS players, etc.

IF Bohn resigns, than it would be very clear that he had no say in the decision to bring Hawkins back.

If Bohn is fired/not offered an extension to his expired contract than it is very clear that CU admin was not going to shell out the $$$ to get rid of the extension mistake that Bohn made.

I don't see Bohn going anywhere. I expect that he will be back with a new contract. Keeping Hawkins around came down to a few simple things:

1) They did not want to pay Hawk + assistants in excess of $3.5 million to leave in December.
2) They did not have a legitimate replacement coach canidate available. If they did pay to get rid of Hawkins + staff, they were never going to have the $1.5-$2.0 million needed to bring in a big time name. Which meant that we would get rid of Hawkins, and bring in some unknown from an average mid-major team.

The last thing CU can afford is to fire Hawkins and bring in another unknown guy as a replacement. When Hawkins starts next season 2-2 or 1-3 he will be gone. It gives Admin a full season to get donations lined up to make a run at a legit replacement.

I don't give Mack Brown any magic bullets at all. His administration and the Longhorn 'sports nation' works hard and gives a lot to get them where they are. Fortunately for the rest of us, Mack stays loyal to Off Coordinator Greg Davis, who hasn't figured out run-blocking in all his life. As long as Texas has Greg Davis, every team in America has the chance to beat them.

Back