What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How I think this all plays out

Buffs find a way to 2 or 3 wins.

They sell it as improvement over the course of the season while playing a very young roster.

Dorrell, Wilson and Sanford all return for 2023.

They sell it as stability.

Phil retires at the end of the academic year. Everyone says all the polite things as they send him off.

Saliman installs a new Chancellor who will lead the Boulder campus. Politically tied to each other, they have to support each other.

New Chancellor tells RG to make a splash hire of a new HC unless the unexpected happens and they have a winning 2023 season.

Unfortunately this all seems very plausible. Except for the splash hire.

NIL money is only one part of the equation for transfers. For the guys who would be transferring to Colorado, it’s not as big of an issue as it would be for the guys transferring from Colorado. We would be targeting guys who are starters at G5 programs looking to get more exposure.
This isn’t a long term rebuild anymore. It can be turned around in 2 years if the right guy is in charge with adequate resources and admin support.
More G5 players to go with our already G5/FCS heavy roster? Cool, cool. That's not how a rebuild works in this new era.

I found this interesting from Howell's chat a few days ago-

• Sep 12, 2022 10:25 AM
    Do you foresee another exodus to the transfer portal should we continue to struggle? Do we have players that other Power 5 programs would be excited about?

• Sep 12, 2022 10:26 AM
    I think the NCAA has set up a situation where there is always going to be a bunch of players leave for the portal, and more so for teams that aren't winning. I absolutely think we'll see 15-20 guys in the portal. But, I think if they were 6-6 we'd see 15-20 guys in the portal.
I'm curious if he's implying that many players can't stand KD no matter what.

Do you foresee another exodus to the transfer portal should we continue to struggle? Do we have players that other Power 5 programs would be excited about?

I think the NCAA has set up a situation where there is always going to be a bunch of players leave for the portal, and more so for teams that aren't winning. I absolutely think we'll see 15-20 guys in the portal. But, I think if they were 6-6 we'd see 15-20 guys in the portal.
I think he’s saying that losing teams will have guys who are talented but don’t want to lose (higher number) AND mediocre/good teams will have less talented players leave to find a chance to play. This plays out even when players like the coach.

I fear you are right.

However, I just don't see 2 wins on the schedule. Arizona, maybe. UofA will be favored in that game though.
Yeah you rarely ever hear this about FCS-FBS games, but Arizona plays North Dakota State Saturday. They need to get the job done there.

RG got the practice facility built, which is the only thing his defenders ever bring up.
hey, he hired Mel before giving him a contract that allowed us to get ****ed and then not delivering on promises to Mel so he ran at the first opportunity. Great win!

Sad Fight Club GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

So, CU's roster becomes the island of misfit toys?

I can see the scenario that Nik posited coming to fruition, but I’m struggling with finding more than 2 wins in this schedule unless something really weird happens with our opponents.
I can also see somebody pointing to a late season game where we don’t get blown out as evidence that Dorrell’s system is starting to work. Using that as justification for keeping him another year and letting him truly implement his system with his guys. Basically the same lie that husker fans told themselves the last five years.

The Office Reaction GIF by NETFLIX

Finding 2-3 wins…

Unfortunately think the retention of HCKD under the flag of “stability” is still the course the AD and administration take…

I have long since abandoned the notion that CU can be competitive on a national basis. I’d like for someone to convince me I’m wrong, but all I see is:

• Lack of institutional will to be good
  • A terrible primary recruiting zone in the mountain time zone
  • Weakening talent pool in its secondary recruiting footprint (California). And an over-mined talent pool as it is
  • No donors of national impact
  • No NiL of impact
  • No recent history of winning
  • Middling conference alignment as it now stands
  • Diminishing financial footing between lower projected media revenue versus other conferences, coupled with an $18 million debt for FY20
  • A terrible coach with a horrible contract
  • Rule changes that make retention of good players very difficult (essentially making CU a farm team for the majors)
  • A town that sometimes isn’t all that comfortable for people of color, mostly unintentional but it’s there nonetheless
So, I don’t know how this plays out, but things look exceedingly bad right now.

I have long since abandoned the notion that CU can be competitive on a national basis. I’d like for someone to convince me I’m wrong, but all I see is:

• Weakening talent pool in its secondary recruiting footprint (California). And an over-mined talent pool as it is
  • No NiL of impact
  • Diminishing financial footing between lower projected media revenue versus other conferences, coupled with an $18 million debt for FY20
  • Rule changes that make retention of good players very difficult (essentially making CU a farm team for the majors)
  • A town that sometimes isn’t all that comfortable for people of color, mostly unintentional but it’s there nonetheless
Can’t say I disagree, but damn……

1663181623286.gif

• No NiL of impact

Fixing the institutional support makes CU football competitive in the medium and long term. No, not equal to the top of the B10 or SEC, but a competitive P5 program that regularly goes to bowls and challenges for one of twelve playoff spots every few years.

• No NiL of impact
Agreed, we have lots of challenges. Here are some other P5 schools with challenges, and the bowls they've been to since 2008, while we've only been to one real bowl.

Oregon St - 5
Washington St - 7
Iowa St - 8
Kansas St - 10
Minnesota - 10
West Virgina - 12

It's clear that everything on the list is an issue. Item #1 is the ONLY thing holding us back from at least looking like these teams. Lack of institutional will to be good. That's it.

John Elway won a Superbowl running the Broncos. This analogy is terrible.
He took a team that was primarily functional, was able to add Peyton Manning and they had a few good years. But that was the topping on the cake, not the foundation. Elway didn't build that foundation.

I look at it much differently as he left the Broncos not only worse than he found them, but he left them profoundly hurting from the foundation on up. Unable to find a QB despite a process that wasted high round draft picks on numerous failures, insisting on using early round draft picks on RBs when OL were needed, and completely missing on several head coaching hires. I'm not going to turn this into an off topic thread, but many of us think Elway was a disaster, despite a super bowl.

There's an article on ESPN insider talking about what's gone wrong for former college football powers (nubs, Miami, FSU, Tenn, VT, and...CU). Here's there conclusion on how CU gets out:

Biggest lesson for the future: Dorrell's future is in doubt because of Colorado's poor start and an unrelenting schedule. The program ultimately has to find an edge and a clear identity. McCartney focused on recruiting California during his tenure and brought in Eric Bieniemy, Darian Hagan, Sal Aunese and other stars for his best teams. Whether it's California, Texas or another fertile region, Colorado needs to find a recruiting niche again. The tricky part is that while another leadership transition might be needed, the program also needs stability after going through significant roster turnover in 2021 and 2022.

Colorado has several advantages, such as its campus, beautiful stadium, football tradition and solid fan base. But until the program stabilizes with the right person at the top, it likely will continue to sputter.

He took a team that was primarily functional, was able to add Peyton Manning and they had a few good years. But that was the topping on the cake, not the foundation. Elway didn't build that foundation.

I look at it much differently as he left the Broncos not only worse than he found them, but he left them profoundly hurting from the foundation on up. Unable to find a QB despite a process that wasted high round draft picks on numerous failures, insisting on using early round draft picks on RBs when OL were needed, and completely missing on several head coaching hires. I'm not going to turn this into an off topic thread, but many of us think Elway was a disaster, despite a super bowl.
Elway was both.

At the start he took a team that had decent talent and had some outstanding years including 2 SBs, winning 1.

You can credit much of that to Peyton but Peyton came because Elway convinced him to come. It is also clear that Elway used that signing of Peyton as a tool to sign a bunch of other players, often at a discount, with the idea that they would have a chance to win big in Denver.

Once Manning was gone the rest of it fell apart. Much of the veteran talent that was brought in at a discount left and Elway did a terrible job in the draft. Biggest issue was that he never found another answer to the QB question but he made lots of other mistakes as well in the draft, with bad free agent signings, and in hiring coaches.

The point of the NFL is to win a Super Bowl. They won a Super Bowl. This narrative is dumb.

Super Bowls won before he ran the team. 2
Super Bowls won after he ran the team. 3

Yes, I'm saying the many of you that think Elway was a disaster are dumb. That does not mean he was perfect, he was far from it.

Rick George wishes that CU football under his direction had anywhere close to the success the Broncos had under Elway. It has been far far far far worse with one minor blip of success in 2016.

There's an article on ESPN insider talking about what's gone wrong for former college football powers (nubs, Miami, FSU, Tenn, VT, and...CU). Here's there conclusion on how CU gets out:
So we need new leadership and stability, right on.

Back