What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How I think this all plays out

How I see this playing out:
  • CU wins two games in the next three seasons, Likely CSU both in 2023 and 2024, the latter being an upset win.
  • Dorrell gets fired at the end of 2022 and is replaced by a 'hot' coordinator from a G5 school after a long, drawn out search giving the new coach no more than 2 weeks to fill a recruiting class, causing us to lose all recruits with other P5 offers and even some that don't. We later find out the top 5 candidates to be offered the job turned it down.
  • CU does not get an invite from the B12 forcing us to move to the MWC or worse.
  • RG is forced out through retirement but no other changes are made at the top, in practice or in attitude.
  • Season ticket sales plummet with average attendance just under 30K by end of 2024
  • The portal dries up, in both directions. Most existing players don't leave because no one will take them and no one transfers in because why would they
  • Boosters stop communicating with the AD
  • NIL? The players are lucky to get coupons to Taco Bell
  • CU takes up a permanent spot on the ESPN bottom 10 list, often mentioned in the same breath as Prairie View, Columbia, and UMass
  • I make sick money betting against the Buffs but actually feel sick doing it.

Yes, I'm jaded.

He took a team that was primarily functional, was able to add Peyton Manning and they had a few good years. But that was the topping on the cake, not the foundation. Elway didn't build that foundation.

I look at it much differently as he left the Broncos not only worse than he found them, but he left them profoundly hurting from the foundation on up. Unable to find a QB despite a process that wasted high round draft picks on numerous failures, insisting on using early round draft picks on RBs when OL were needed, and completely missing on several head coaching hires. I'm not going to turn this into an off topic thread, but many of us think Elway was a disaster, despite a super bowl.
Wasn't he responsible for building most of that 2015 defense which is regarded as being one of the best of all time?

bigwheelbike.jpg Pretty much how I see it playing out. Unless and until CU hits rock bottom, the kind of changes needed won't be made, and even then, maybe.

He took a team that was primarily functional, was able to add Peyton Manning and they had a few good years. But that was the topping on the cake, not the foundation. Elway didn't build that foundation.

I look at it much differently as he left the Broncos not only worse than he found them, but he left them profoundly hurting from the foundation on up. Unable to find a QB despite a process that wasted high round draft picks on numerous failures, insisting on using early round draft picks on RBs when OL were needed, and completely missing on several head coaching hires. I'm not going to turn this into an off topic thread, but many of us think Elway was a disaster, despite a super bowl.
That "primarily functional" team he took over was 4-12, had just 2 pro-bowlers and was head coached by josh mcdaniels. Elway drafted Von Miller and every single player on that Broncos 2015 defense(inarguably one of the best of all time) was either drafted or signed by him. He built the foundation that lured Peyton and then signed him. This post is absurd

This thread should come with a warning label: DO NOT VIEW THIS THREAD IF YOU WISH TO RETAIN ANY LAST VESTIGES OF HOPE.

or perhaps for the liberal arts majors: THAR BE DRAGONS THERE or similar.

That "primarily functional" team he took over was 4-12, had just 2 pro-bowlers and was head coached by josh mcdaniels. Elway drafted Von Miller and every single player on that Broncos 2015 defense(inarguably one of the best of all time) was either drafted or signed by him. He built the foundation that lured Peyton and then signed him. This post is absurd
Peyton came here because he thought he could win with the talent in place. He brought players with him who were deep into their career and wanted to win. I am not arguing that point. It's not debateable that they won the Super Bowl.

What I'm saying, is that those methods were not sustainable.
Elway failed to hire a good Head Coach from that point on.
He miserably failed to draft a franchise QB.
And he had epic failures in the draft. Epic.

yes, they won the super bowl. Please move along now, John is proud that you stood up for him!

It is all part of the master plan. Go 0-12 and we will all be begging for any new head coach. Billy joe Jim bob the choir boy who just successfully coached southwest eastern podunk regional state university to a 4-8 record and will take the job for peanuts? SOUNDS GREAT. I call it the art of dorrellian hiring.

It is all part of the master plan. Go 0-12 and we will all be begging for any new head coach. Billy joe Jim bob the choir boy who just successfully coached southwest eastern podunk regional state university to a 4-8 record and will take the job for peanuts? SOUNDS GREAT. I call it the art of dorrellian hiring.
You left out the part where they raise ticket prices after hiring Billy Joe.

Agreed, we have lots of challenges. Here are some other P5 schools with challenges, and the bowls they've been to since 2008, while we've only been to one real bowl.

Oregon St - 5
Washington St - 7
Iowa St - 8
Kansas St - 10
Minnesota - 10
West Virgina - 12

It's clear that everything on the list is an issue. Item #1 is the ONLY thing holding us back from at least looking like these teams. Lack of institutional will to be good. That's it.
West Virgina - not sure if intentional, but I approve of this message.

Only if Billy Joe already has a house in Boulder.

You forgot the part where Kardboard hands out shovels telling the team that we can go farther, dig as a team and win as a team - we manage to go below rock bottom.

This sounds suspiciously like DII Danny making injured players move dirt around the practice field.

Whole theory falls apart right here. Not gonna happen. There’s not a single game on the schedule that you could point to and even feel confident that the team will be competitive for a half, let alone win.

According to TeamRankings, these are CU's win probabilities in the ten remaining games, as of today:

1663271374408.png

Obviously favored to lose in every game, with the easiest game being a 61.8% loss probability for the Buffs, at home against Cal. However, if you combined all the losing percentages from 61.8% vs. Cal to 98.2% at USC and everything in between to come up a probability of losing all 10 games, it works out to 21.5% chance of that happening. So, inversely a 78.5% chance of winning at least one of the remaining 10 games. If there's a silver lining in this dark cloud, that would be it.

But.....he took Chubb with the 5th pick. Josh Allen went 7th.

According to TeamRankings, these are CU's win probabilities in the ten remaining games, as of today:

View attachment 54247

Obviously favored to lose in every game, with the easiest game being a 61.8% loss probability for the Buffs, at home against Cal. However, if you combined all the losing percentages from 61.8% vs. Cal to 98.2% at USC and everything in between to come up a probability of losing all 10 games, it works out to 21.5% chance of that happening. So, inversely a 78.5% chance of winning at least one of the remaining 10 games. If there's a silver lining in this dark cloud, that would be it.

I can't believe you took the time to calculate that.

I double-checked your math, and it looks correct.

View attachment 54247

We already have the Cal game circled for a major opportunity. Some models way undervaluing Cal compared to Colorado could yield a highly favorable line to back Cal.

We already have the Cal game circled for a major opportunity. Some models way undervaluing Cal compared to Colorado could yield a highly favorable line to back Cal.
I like this only because I believe it will take us going winless to invoke change and not continue the downward spiral that makes it harder to climb out.

However, this change has to be KD, RG, and PD, or we achieve nothing. Phil can still be the chancellor if the new President says “open checkbook” (on a CU relative basis..)

You forgot the part where Kardboard hands out shovels telling the team that we can go farther, dig as a team and win as a team - we manage to go below rock bottom.
Which idiot coach was at CU who had the players moving bricks in a wheel barrel ?

I pine for the days of DII danny - 5-7 is a dream world right now.
Hawkins was in over his head and too loyal to his son and his assistants from Boise but at least he cared. He couldn't figure out how to stop them but at least he was bothered by losing.

View attachment 54247

Absolutely impressed with the rigor of your analysis here, but IMO statistics and predictive analysis alone cannot quantify how unbelievably bad this team really is.

And it all goes back to the contract. I get it for Hawkins. He was a commodity when we hired him. But for Dorrell? No one wanted him. ABSO-F*CKING-LUTELY NO ONE. And RG gave him a fully guaranteed contract? F*ck me in the ass with two oversized spoons. There must to be a car wash involved in this scheme. It makes no f*cking sense.

I like this only because I believe it will take us going winless to invoke change and not continue the downward spiral that makes it harder to climb out.

However, this change has to be KD, RG, and PD, or we achieve nothing. Phil can still be the chancellor if the new President says “open checkbook” (on a CU relative basis..)
PD is the lone constant is all the years of suck and should not be allowed to make the next hire before he finally fvcking retires. On his watch CU football has turned to complete dog****. Fvck that guy!

Back