1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you like the Olympics?

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by Buffnik, Aug 2, 2012.

?

How much do you like the Olympics?

1. Awesome. I love it.

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. Prettyy cool. I enjoy it.

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Take it or leave it. Some moments, but overblown.

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. Pretty much a waste. When does football start?

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. The suck. I hate this crap.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Love it? Hate it? Something in between?

2. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Usually I love it but for some reason I've only watched a few events this year. I'm just not interested.

3. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Dealt with this in Ridiculous olympic sports love/hate thread.

I will watch a little bit of it as I run across it but don't get excited about the olympics. I'm already waiting for them to go away for another four years and let us get back to normal sports instead of a bunch of hype about stuff that nobody cares about except for a couple weeks every four years.

4. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

The internet has absolutely changed it for me. The whole time delay is garbage. NBC needs to wake up and start airing the events live and then do a prime time replay.

5. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I usually love watching the Olympics - but I've basically been unable to see anything, including replays and highlights, since I lack cable or dish

6. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

The kids were on a swim team this year and fell in love with the sport. As a result, we have watched a bunch so far. Once the swimming ends, I can see the interest dropping as it moves to events that are not as popular in the house. It helps that gymnastics, beach volleyball have gone along with the swimming.

7. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

I finally watched a little last night and then Ryan Seacrest came on the screen and I turned it off.

The Olympics are unwatchable anymore.

8. Buffnik

Yeah, wtf was that? We turned it on, saw Seacrest, heard him say something about Angelina Jolie, and decided to watch some Game of Thrones on demand.

9. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I was saying the same thing last night. I know that the way NBC is showing the Olympics in prime time is no different than they've done for the last 25 years, but now it pisses me off because it doesn't have to be that way. Also the fact that the time difference from Beijing worked out perfectly in 2008 so that many of the events I wanted to watch were live (e.g. Phelps' finals were almost always live in US) makes this year feel worse.

10. Buffnik

What's been tough with the tape delay stuff is that they don't seem to move things around to give the ideal lineup during primetime. If I'm watching live, I can accept that synchro diving is all that's on. But they could re-arrange things so that they show better stuff in a tape-delayed 3-hour window.

11. Bass

Bass Club Member Club Member

these are my first summer olympics post college so i dont have the freedom to watch the events during the day and that sucks. The time difference is killer and by the time they are in primetime, I already know the results but watching America win never gets old for me. Being of Polish decent i have a deep rooted hatred for the russians so seeing the russian womens gymnastics team crying after the US won was the best moment so far.

12. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Obsessed. I also hate China

13. wsp4820

True, but the ladies love them some syncro diving. Why would they put the good stuff early when they can keep you watching for four hours?

I think the thing that I don't like is that if I want to watch the Olympics at night without knowing the results I have to drastically change my daily routine. Can't really go on facebook, can't open up a default web browser, can't go to ESPN or SI to read articles. That's not NBC's fault (it's not like I'd be watching the stuff live if it was on NBC during the day), but I direct my rage at NBC anyway.

14. tante

agreed on my direct-tv guide, if I look at the olympic channels it will say stuff like: XXX London Olympics swimming, tennis, volleyball. I want to know what events and what times. The **** is already delayed, you guys can figure it out.

15. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

It's okay...it's better than baseball and soccer, so it redeems summer sports every 4 years a bit.

16. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Not in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.

17. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Indifferent.

If it's on, I'll watch it but when I'm alone I won't go out of my way to watch.

18. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I get pretty into for the first week, but by the end, I'm keeping track of medals and watching the big events only.

19. wsp4820

True. But, close enough to live that I didn't have to seclude myself in a safe room for five hours to avoid finding out the results.

20. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

If not for the coverage, I'd vote for awesome.

21. DBT

You know what I hate? I hate the over the top emphasis on gymnastics. It isn't that I dislike watching it. It's just that it gets a huge majority of the coverage. I really enjoy the fringe sports. But all NBC does is give brief hilights of them.

22. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

They do the same crap with figure skating in the winter games but then show hardly any bobsled.

23. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

The women love to watch it and they figure the men will let the women pick the channel. They do the same thing with the figure skating. It's all based on getting the women to tune in.

24. Buffnik

You know who likes watching the girls compete at gymnastics? John Henderson.

25. DBT

Yep. Exactomundo.

26. Jens1893

NBC from what I hear also doesn't exactly show what happened and instead tries to create story arcs.

27. tante

Would it kill NBC to have a graphic with the event so I know what it is? 200 meter butterfly finals? Fantastic have a ribbon graphic on top.

28. Jens1893

It'd neither kill NBC not the people producing the pictures. Had similar thoughts watching the swimming and was confused whether this was a final or heat several times myself.

29. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Yep, I've had the same question several times. Probably my fault for not totally paying attention before the start of the race, but they've still got plenty of room for it.

They could also throw in a graphic with the name of the swimmers in each lane, or at least the nation of each swimmer. It gets really frustrating trying to figure that out if you didn't happen to memorize it before the race started. For that matter, it might be nice if they could at least stay with the finish until all 3 medalists finish. There have been a lot of races where they've switched to a tight shot of the winner after the first two finished, especially with the longer races where the gaps get a bit bigger...

30. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

NBC is horrible but I don't care. I watch as much of it as I can for two weeks because a) it comes during a complete sports lull and b) AMERICA! **** YEAH!