What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am trying to be patient with Sefo

I don't want Montez to start, but I don't think we'd be screwed on the basis that he is starting over a former two year starter who is a legit Pac 12 QB. If a freshman can take a upperclassmen QBs job who has performed at this level I wouldn't say we are screwed. Probably less than ideal, but we wouldn't be screwed.

No my friend, you have told us all very clearly that talent is not the issue for this team, we need experience more than anything. Why would we go with a frosh quarterback, when what we really need is experience and veteran leadership?

No my friend, you have told us all very clearly that talent is not the issue for this team, we need experience more than anything. Why would we go with a frosh quarterback, when what we really need is experience and veteran leadership?
Yes we do need experience. I know what you're trying to do, it's old. Not convinced you actually understand my argument, but I'm done anyway.

Yes we do need experience. I know what you're trying to do, it's old. Not convinced you actually understand my argument, but I'm done anyway.

I'm not convinced you understand your own argument.

You've spent the last couple days shooting down everyone who has been critical of the talent level on this team, saying that's not an issue, we just need experience and then this is a bowl team. But now you're OK with the idea of starting a true frosh QB if he's more talented than the incumbent. You're making my argument for me without realizing it.

If montez starts over Sefo next year, that is a good problem to have. That means he absolutely dominated in fall camp. If he has that kind of ability, you take the freshman mistakes, because he would be a game changer.

I don't see it happening though. I think Sefo is a good Pac-12 QB. He has areas to improve on, but I think the team is ready to follow him as upperclassmen leader and I think he can fix a lot of his mistakes this offseason.

The Montez love is strong here. I think that means his fate is sealed and he'll be a TE by his second year on campus.

I'm not convinced you understand your own argument.

You've spent the last couple days shooting down everyone who has been critical of the talent level on this team, saying that's not an issue, we just need experience and then this is a bowl team. But now you're OK with the idea of starting a true frosh QB if he's more talented than the incumbent. You're making my argument for me without realizing it.

I understand my argument just fine. Read Shoulder's post below, and specifically the first paragraph, that's what I'm talking about. Where did I say I was ok with Montez starting? Me saying we wouldn't be screwed and being ok with it are not the same.

And are you trying to say that there isn't a significant differ3nce between having a depth chart full of upperclassmen versus one position starting a freshman?

Last edited:
There will be at least three scholarship QBs on campus next year: Sefo, Apsay, and Montez. All of them need to take a big step forward. Apsay needs to show progress. He was a developmental QB take, and we want him to at least get to the level of challenging for the #2 spot. Montez is probably going to be rough. Unless he's a generational talent - and those don't come around all that often - he will RS.

Awini is the most inaccurate QB I've ever seen.

^^This^^

I wouldn't call him "the most innacurate" but he is not a PAC12 level passer.

He is a plus athlete who can throw the ball but is only a QB in an option offense based on running the ball, not something CU is going to do.

I think he ends up as a reciever who might play some wildcat/short yardage sets but he isn't going to be close to a full-time QB.

Appreciate the take, haven't seen him in action since AF years ago. Was cautiously optimistic that they'd had him throwing at the broadside of a barn all year and getting better. Again, unless Apsay or Montez are clear cut better choices I think we are best suited to keep Sefo in role. We cannot afford to continue to rush freshman QBs into playing that could benefit from development.

As posted many times by others, if Sefo can cut down the mistakes he is a very serviceable QB in our system. I do have to remind my self that this is his sophomore year. The sophomore slump is a real thing. Hence Jameis Winston throwing nearly twice as many picks and far fewer TDs.

I understand my argument just fine. Read Shoulder's post below, and specifically the first paragraph, that's what I'm talking about. Where did I say I was ok with Montez starting? Me saying we wouldn't be screwed and being ok with it are not the same.

And are you trying to say that there isn't a significant differ3nce between having a depth chart full of upperclassmen versus one position starting a freshman?

I just find it amusing how loudly you beat the drums for experience and veteran leadership, but are so quick to throw that aside if a more talented option at QB comes along.

There will be at least three scholarship QBs on campus next year: Sefo, Apsay, and Montez. All of them need to take a big step forward. Apsay needs to show progress. He was a developmental QB take, and we want him to at least get to the level of challenging for the #2 spot. Montez is probably going to be rough. Unless he's a generational talent - and those don't come around all that often - he will RS.

I agree on the underclassmen QB's. If Montez doesn't take hold of at least the #2 spot he will be a RS candidate without question. Would love to see Apsay and Awini push Sefo. Think Apsay can be a good QB at this level, but he has a lot of developing to do.

I just find it amusing how loudly you beat the drums for experience and veteran leadership, but are so quick to throw that aside if a more talented option at QB comes along.
All I said is we wouldn't be screwed, you're the one who is taking things from that statement that aren't there

All I said is we wouldn't be screwed, you're the one who is taking things from that statement that aren't there

What do you consider to be "not screwed"? Is a bowl game still possible if Montez starts for us all of next year?

What do you consider to be "not screwed"? Is a bowl game still possible if Montez starts for us all of next year?

If Montez starts all 13 games next year that means in fall camp, he showed better than a JR QB that threw for 3200yds, 28TD's, 15Int's, and 65% completion. If that happens then yes a bowl game is definitely possible.

If Montez starts all 13 games next year that means in fall camp, he showed better than a JR QB that threw for 3200yds, 28TD's, 15Int's, and 65% completion. If that happens then yes a bowl game is definitely possible.

Or it could mean Sefo suffered a season ending injury in camp and he beat out Apsay/Gehrke.

Or it could mean Sefo suffered a season ending injury in camp and he beat out Apsay/Gehrke.

So yes if the worst possible scenario happens to our QB corp and Montez starts all 13 games we would likely miss a bowl game.

damn you're depressing.

Last edited:
So yes if the worst possible scenario happens to our QB corp and Montez starts all 13 games we would likely miss a bowl game.

damn you're depressing.

Sorry to ruin your day buddy. Getting you and tini to admit that we might be kinda screwed next year if we had Montez at the helm is a difficult task. You guys pump sunshine with the best of 'em.

Sorry to ruin your day buddy. Getting you and tini to admit that we might be kinda screwed next year if we had Montez at the helm is a difficult task. You guys pump sunshine with the best of 'em.

Saying we would be screwed in a worst case scenario isn't proving any point. It would be worst case. So yes, by definition we would be screwed.

That would be like me saying, if Sefo wins this Heisman do you think we will have a good year?

The most likely scenario is that things remain status quo, or even slightly better due to another offseason, age, maturity, etc. In that scenario, if Montez came in and won, things would be just fine.

However I don't think that will happen. I expect Montez to redshirt.

Last edited:

Tini does but not shoulder. He's one of the most level headed guys on here.

Would like Montez to get in the weight room, his frame can handle 30 more pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I make it clear that tini is the kool-aide man and shldr is 180 degrees cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that there are legitimate questions about the level of competition that Montez faces, but the numbers are impressive.

[tweet]539495436625518592[/tweet]

also don't criticize montez or his high school or their level of competition on twitter, his HC will find you lol.

Montez at QB next year? I thought size was the major knock on Shane Dillon. Aren't they the same size?

Sefo will be better next year. Should work on his decision making. The only chance CU have to make a bowl game next year is if Sefo starts all of the games. Based on what I have seen of Montez, he is not better than Sefo. I just don't see Montez benching Sefo Hopefully Apsay can step up and provide competition.

NO ONE IS SAYING MONTEZ SHOULD START OVER SEFO!

God people need to read.

The only thing being said is that IF Montez ended up the day 1 starter that would mean we are in a very good position and have a very good QB. (Obviously barring the doom scenario presented by White Rabbit)

Sefo will, and should be the day 1 starter next year.

Montez should and will have a redshirt year.

NO ONE IS SAYING MONTEZ SHOULD START OVER SEFO!

God people need to read.

The only thing being said is that IF Montez ended up the day 1 starter that would mean we are in a very good position and have a very good QB. (Obviously barring the doom scenario presented by White Rabbit)

Sefo will, and should be the day 1 starter next year.

Montez should and will have a redshirt year.

Did not read. Cliffs? Why do you keep advocating that Montez should be the starter?!

Haha, just kidding man. Good take on the situation and I agree that if Montez is the starter it's because he is a unique talent and sharp enough to learn the offense. Sefo could be a great QB if he cut down on the mistakes.

Back