What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is it time for Ballenger yet?

Do you really think anyone would question Hawkins for benching his own son because of horrible play? I think it is more likely for them to question him not benching his own son because of horrible play.

It's hard to say. We aren't 18-22 year olds anymore and we don't know Hawkins or his son very well, except in what we read. We aren't in practice, or in the film room, or in study hall or at the Sinking eating lunch or in.... It's entirely speculative, but the team knows who is the best QB on the roster and who gives them the best chance, despite their limitations whether it's PT, arm strength, height, leadership and knowledge of the playbook. The coaches have to do a better job to keep the games competitive and gameplan around a QB that isn't completing his passes as much as he should or reading the defenses better.

We just have to trust Hawk is doing the best for his team. I remember during the 2-10 season someone asked Hawk if he could win if his players were on the roster. He was infuriated and said they they they were his players. I appreciated that. We used to have a coach that would throw players under the bus for a loss. To me, that is COMPLETE BULL****!

Hawk wants to win more than any of us. Would he want us to win with his son at QB? Of course, but if that doesn't happen then he strikes me as the kind of man that would use it as a way to teach his kid about life. Would it be tough for him to bench his son? Most definitely. Would it be tough for him to let down 90+ players and staff that depend on their livelihoods as well? Again, maybe not as much as his son, but most definitely. Sometimes doing what's right isn't always easy.

Without an OL. We are probably going to see more of the same from Ballenger. He had zero time to make any decisions out there. That's one of the problems with Cody, he's taken so many shots he's got happy feet. He isn't comfortable in the pocket and I don't blame him.

But like you said, maybe he just need a chance.

You keep ignoring the fact that a QB with different skills and tools can help overcome a patchwork offensive line.

Defenses can put 9 men in the box against Cody and ignore the rest of the field because they know he ain't gonna beat em deep and he can't throw the quick slants or screens.

Maybe a QB who can open up the field, can take pressure off the line. What we're doing now is obviously not working, so why not try something different. You can't change players on the line, because you're out of players, our receivers, for all intents and purposes are interchangeable, with our one deep threat on the bench for most of the game (which I'm not going to go into here), and our backs are known quantities. The only unknown quantity, the MIGHT turn things around and take pressure off the line is the QB position. With the O-line in the shambles that it's in right now, if they keep trotting Cody out there they are staring down the barrel of missing a bowl game. There is NO REASON for defenses NOT to stack the line of scrimmage and blitz their brains out with Cody in there.

Changing QB's may not make a difference at all, but it certainly can't hurt to try, because throwing the same crap out there every game and shrugging your shoulders and blaming the offensive ineptitude on the line is NOT an acceptable answer.

Hell, at this point, I just want to see them try ANYTHING different, because right now, the coaches are just beating their heads against a brick wall with the same crap game after game.

EDIT:

Everyone's just shrugging their shoulders and accepting that the QB plahy is bad because of the O-Line. We can't improve the O-Line midway through the season, so the answer is to just accept it and not try something that might change things?

Hawk may want to win and believes he's doing what's best. But if I had someone working for me who kept doing the same thing and kept failing, without changing anything, and falling back on excuses, I'd fire him. I want to see changes to compensate for a bad o-line, and not just excuse everything on a bad o-line. We're not seeing it in the personnel, game planning or play calling.

EDIT 2:

It's been said around here before. I think with a healthy line, Cody would probably be fine. Because of his skillset though, a patchwork o-line hurts him much more than the same line would affect a QB that could make the throws you need to make in that situation and move on his feet.

Last edited:
I've said in my posts that CH is one of the factors that have killed us. But when you take shot after shot, like he did vs FSU and UT, I can understand why he's probably forcing a lot.

You guys ignore the fact that without a OL, you are limited on what you can do as an offense. Look at last years Super Bowl. NE's OL got dominated. And as a result Brady didn't preform. I'm not trying to compare CH to Brady or McCoy. I know he's not in the same league, but he's the best option we have at the moment. Ballenger came in for the fourth quarter and didn't play very well. Why? No time.

I've said in my posts that CH is one of the factors that have killed us. But when you take shot after shot, like he did vs FSU and UT, I can understand why he's probably forcing a lot.

You guys ignore the fact that without a OL, you are limited on what you can do as an offense. Look at last years Super Bowl. NE's OL got dominated. And as a result Brady didn't preform. I'm not trying to compare CH to Brady or McCoy. I know he's not in the same league, but he's the best option we have at the moment. Ballenger came in for the fourth quarter and didn't play very well. Why? No time.

Using Ballenger's 4th quarter playing time is a HORRIBLE argument. He came in COLD, into a situation where the o-line was whipped, and the d-line KNEW they had to pass to get back into the game. Until you see Ballenger for a WHOLE game, no one can say how he looks.

PART of the o-line's weakness is injuries. I happen to think that MORE of the o-lines domination is due to a QB that can't use 80% of the field.

EDIT:

Everyone's just shrugging their shoulders and accepting that the QB plahy is bad because of the O-Line. We can't improve the O-Line midway through the season, so the answer is to just accept it and not try something that might change things?

Hawk may want to win and believes he's doing what's best. But if I had someone working for me who kept doing the same thing and kept failing, without changing anything, and falling back on excuses, I'd fire him. I want to see changes to compensate for a bad o-line, and not just excuse everything on a bad o-line. We're not seeing it in the personnel, game planning or play calling.

EDIT 2:

It's been said around here before. I think with a healthy line, Cody would probably be fine. Because of his skillset though, a patchwork o-line hurts him much more than the same line would affect a QB that could make the throws you need to make in that situation and move on his feet.[/QUOTE]

Great post, agree 100% :thumbsup:

Using Ballenger's 4th quarter playing time is a HORRIBLE argument. He came in COLD, into a situation where the o-line was whipped, and the d-line KNEW they had to pass to get back into the game. Until you see Ballenger for a WHOLE game, no one can say how he looks.

You accuse everyone here of making excuses for Cody. But that's exactly what you've been doing for Ballenger. Sure he came in late. But I didn't see a thing that leads me to believe Matt is the answer.

You accuse everyone here of making excuses for Cody. But that's exactly what you've been doing for Ballenger. Sure he came in late. But I didn't see a thing that leads me to believe Matt is the answer.

Ya got me there.... of course, you're damning Ballenger after 11 MINUTES of mop-up time. I'm damning Cody after 4 awful GAMES, and 6 more GAMES where he wasn't awful, but was anything but spectacular.

I'm not even saying Ballenger is the answer... I'm saying, until we see him, in a full game situation, no one... NO ONE can say whether or not he's an answer.

Ya got me there.... of course, you're damning Ballenger after 11 MINUTES of mop-up time. I'm damning Cody after 4 awful GAMES, and 6 more GAMES where he wasn't awful, but was anything but spectacular.

I'm not even saying Ballenger is the answer... I'm saying, until we see him, in a full game situation, no one... NO ONE can say whether or not he's an answer.

QB isn't the main problem. That's my argument here. Sure he's mobile. But do you really have high expectations of a RS-FR QB to make plays while being flushed out of the pocket?

QB isn't the main problem. That's my argument here. Sure he's mobile. But do you really have high expectations of a RS-FR QB to make plays while being flushed out of the pocket?

Maybe, maybe not. But we aren't getting them now from a RS sophomore, so how much are we really giving up to find out if the RS freshman can do it? :confused:

I don't have high expectations, I don't think Ballenger would come in and lead us to 6 straight wins, there are still other problems on the team. I don't think the Ballenger is going to come in and be the next coming of John Elway.

I do think, because of his skill set, a banged up offensive line presents Cody with more challenges that it would a QB like Ballenger. I do think there's a chance, a CHANCE, that he could come in, provide a spark, and provide the offense with a player that has the tools to, and MIGHT, be able to take some pressure off the o-line.

If they can figure out a way for Cody to start throwing the routes he needs to throw to overcome the line situation, then by all means, stick with Cody. I don't see that happening, but if they can game plan it, go with it!

I really like Ballenger. I think he's going to become a great QB. But i think rushing him onto the field isn't good for his development. He didn't really push Cody during fall camp, and I haven't heard him pushing for the top spot during the season. I think he should get some PT this year. But I don't think we should make him the starter.

I really like Ballenger. I think he's going to become a great QB. But i think rushing him onto the field isn't good for his development. He didn't really push Cody during fall camp, and I haven't heard him pushing for the top spot during the season. I think he should get some PT this year. But I don't think we should make him the starter.

It might... but with everything I've heard about Hansen, and the two guys we have coming in, I'm not too worried about the long-term stability of Ballenger. Of course, that's easy for me to say sitting on a couch though, and not walking the sideline.

who said that? I really don't think he was trying to compare Colt to Cody skill-wise.

But the situations are similar.

The situations are not similar. Colt's worst season at texas will probably be better than cody's best.

This isn't all on cody by any measure,OL,the vanishing act by mcknight and our te's,poor tackling etc....

I think most want ballenger to get the full week with the first team in practice and see how it goes.If he plays bad then put cody back in.His confidence is already shaken,bringing him off the bench if balleneger fails isn't going to kill him.

The situations are not similar. Colt's worst season at texas will probably be better than cody's best.

This isn't all on cody by any measure,OL,the vanishing act by mcknight and our te's,poor tackling etc....

I think most want ballenger to get the full week with the first team in practice and see how it goes.If he plays bad then put cody back in.His confidence is already shaken,bringing him off the bench if balleneger fails isn't going to kill him.

Similar as in how quickly the fans turned on him. If Mack Brown would've listened to the fans, they wouldn't be in the position they are in now.

Again, I'm not saying CH is similar to Colt skill-wise.

Similar as in how quickly the fans turned on him. If Mack Brown would've listened to the fans, they wouldn't be in the position they are in now.

Again, I'm not saying CH is similar to Colt skill-wise.

I know that,people are just tired of hearing the OL excuse.It's not an excuse per say it's reality but the coaches have to come up with something don't they?

We can't keep saying oh well,no chance to win this week because of our OL and injuries.

I know that,people are just tired of hearing the OL excuse.It's not an excuse per say it's reality but the coaches have to come up with something don't they?

We can't keep saying oh well,no chance to win this week because of our OL and injuries.

Excuse? You do realize how important it is to block right? We have a line made up of freshman on the field. You make it sound like it's an easy fix. :lol:

Excuse? You do realize how important it is to block right? We have a line made up of freshman on the field. You make it sound like it's an easy fix. :lol:

What part of " It's not an excuse per say,it's reality" did you not understand?

Oh nevermind,I must be playing the victim again.:lol:

Personally I'd be tempted to give Ballenger a start.

Argument: Why thrash his confidence by throwing him to the wolves?

I seem to remember throwing Cody to the wolves last season and he did fine. What's to say Ballenger isn't a Robert Griffin lacking an opportunity (W/O the wheels of course)

Argument: Stick with Cody, he's the best we've got and will snap out of this.

How many more bad games do we do this? Should we be prepared to tank the season and risk a recruiting cycle to protect future assets?

Argument: Don't change, with this Oline it won't make a difference who plays.

Maybe it's time for the Oline to step up and play Colorado football. Griffin @ Baylor is playing behind a slow, lightly regarded line with some injury issues as well. These kids will not be playing on Sunday unless they take it to the arena.

JMO

I don't know why you wouldn't put Ballenger in after having given him serious reps with the first team in practice. I say let him work on a book of six to 10 players and insert him to get some real PT to see what he's capable of doing. In my opinion this team has peaked with its current quarterback play.

I don't know why you wouldn't put Ballenger in after having given him serious reps with the first team in practice. I say let him work on a book of six to 10 players and insert him to get some real PT to see what he's capable of doing. In my opinion this team has peaked with its current quarterback play.

I agree with that completely.

Get a gameplan of about 10-15 plays ready for Ballenger. Let him practice THOSE PLAYS with the 1st team this week. Get those 15 plays down so everybody is executing them properly in practice.

Then - on Saturday against KSU -- put him into the game in the 1st or 2nd quarter and run those plays. No improvising. He and the rest of the team already know what the plays are - just go execute them.

I hear you 87. But Buff04 keeps on harping on Cody like this is 100% his fault. That's what i don't agree with.

I also believe that Matt Ballenger could become a awesome QB. He has the tools. But i just don't think he's ready. But what do I know.

I say start CH for the KSU game. If he, and our OL, continue to struggle than plug in Matt and hope for the best. I'm not a fan of this, but I can see this happening.

I think there is little arguement to suggest that Ballenger would be any less ready than Cody was to start the year last year. he had half a year more in the system than Cody did when he was the starter, so why does everyone think that he is shellshocked out there. When Matt gets put in, the other team has a big lead, has their ears pinned back and are blitzing. not exactly fair to grade his performance late in the game like that, when the run option is not even a remote possibility.

And even if he has been rattled (which I have not seen), how about hot feet Hawkins, missing two absolutely wide open WR's that would have been touchdowns against FSU??

Cody has had a chance, is ot getting it done, bally deserves a chance. If we get down three scores before giving Bally a chance, then the season is a writeoff by the coaches and Cody needs to sit.

Back