What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

J-Fly Bye Bye?

Maybe at 4:15 today Bohn will announce that J-Fly will stay on at CU on the conditions that all new 2009 music students will be required to take a rap music & video class (101) under the tutelage of Professor J-Fly Smith.

There are many ways they could work out an individual degree and course of study, independent, online, what have you, that would satisfy Josh's desire but only if Josh wants to give it a go. Maybe what he wants requires he is in a more music-oriented town (which is why LA is perfect, if he can't wait two years to start this path.)

JMO.

Does anyone else think this course description could be funny if the right person was reading it out loud?

IMUS 5093 (601) Honoring the Self in Music Education

1 graduate credit, CEU credit option; August 3-4, 9:00 am-3:45 pm
Dr. Sue Williamson, Macky 213

Through small group discussion, students will identify sociological and cultural influences that contribute to music teacher burnout. This workshop will also provide an overview of medical and psychological techniques designed to reduce stress. Participants will create a personalized plan for renewal and health for the upcoming school year.

So does Josh rethink his situation? Because he is going to have to cough up a lot of money to stay in school, whether or not he gives up football. Last time I checked (and I did, recently) USC was running around $50,000 a year.

I believe that Hawk would take him back, kill the fatted calf and ask him to work his butt off. Will Josh want to try? I just see CU poised for an amazing couple of years (and beyond, but I can only predict so far) and have to think on some level he would want to be part of it.

But it won't be easy.

So does Josh rethink his situation? Because he is going to have to cough up a lot of money to stay in school, whether or not he gives up football. Last time I checked (and I did, recently) USC was running around $50,000 a year.

I believe that Hawk would take him back, kill the fatted calf and ask him to work his butt off. Will Josh want to try? I just see CU poised for an amazing couple of years (and beyond, but I can only predict so far) and have to think on some level he would want to be part of it.

But it won't be easy.

He'd have to win over his team mates in the locker room and in the weight room and in the class room.

Even though there is zero legal issue or academic probation involved here, I suspect that the a number of fans would give Josh a hard time for what some might consider more unforgivable: treason.

He'd have to win over his team mates in the locker room and in the weight room and in the class room.

Even though there is zero legal issue or academic probation involved here, I suspect that the a number of fans would give Josh a hard time for what some might consider more unforgivable: treason.

You know, there are a lot of people who just crossed him off after the announcement. But I didn't see him really grilled anywhere. I think we were more hurt and bewildered than angry. At least sounded that way.

If he came back and said, you know, what was I thinking? I have a passion for music, but some of that can wait. I'll find another way. I have a passion for football and I want to be part of this ...

... imagine a great speech.

He could win us all back, okay 75%, pretty quick, if he says half the right things. Because we WANT to believe him. If he stays a buff, he'll be supported, we support our guys even when they waffle on us a little.

.. for what some might consider more unforgivable: treason.

one last point:

he never said that the Buffs weren't good enough for him. He kept it to the "closer to home" and "my music major" theme. So no treason, just a little exploration. If he'd trashed the program or coaches or his team outright, it would be very hard to forgive that. But he kept quiet and that will serve him well.

I dont know what he will do but I doubt USC would want him. He might get a shot a special teams but I highly doubt he could play receiver for them. Fundamentally, nobody's receivers are coached better than USC's. TTech's are coached good too tho.

Dont take that the wrong way, I hope he comes back, we need him. Talent isnt the problem with J-fly. I think he can be as good as he wants to be, but that is the real question imho.

Dont take that the wrong way, I hope he comes back, we need him. Talent isnt the problem with J-fly. I think he can be as good as he wants to be, but that is the real question imho.

It's impossible for me to take it the wrong way: if he says he still wants to be a buff, then I support him. And I want to see him play with all this talent we've accrued (and talent that's regained health) around him.

And it could be a great place for him to come back and work hard and be something...

you know Darrell would be glad to see him.

BB, u and Valdez know your **** so I wont say a word. The only thing with all of this I have to say is, its up to J-Fly how good he wants to be. He has the talent to be great but talent will only get u so far.

This has played out oddly. Given that Josh's Mom had a ton of respect for the staff, especially Hagen (who we all know is a no-nonsense type), and that relationship was integral to DS coming here, any chance there is hardball being played here with the parent's/family's blessing?

By a lot of accounts, Hawk doesn't seem concerned with losing DS over this. Also, it's clear that J-Fly is immensely talented, but maybe not fully committed to football.

So I wonder if J-Fly has come to these decisions on his own and the family is siding with Hawk?

Or maybe, Hawk thinks the doors could bolt open and lots of recruits may bolt so he's unwilling to set a precedent? Clearly, guys can't start leaving now. Get us into the season and if there's some success, there's no issue anymore.

J-Fly told them he wanted to go closer to home and seek a certain major. USC offers that. Not sure ASU offers much of either and it's not unprecedented to not grant a release just because a guy sees greener pastures. It's one thing if a guy is not getting playing time.

In the first scenario, the staff may be working with the family to get this kid to buckle down? If that's not the case, this one sure seems risky to blow up big time as ugly, ugly, ugly. That would be a very bad sign.

And lastly, how could he come back? I just don't see that either.

Let. Him. Go.

This will not end well.

I'm giving Hawk the benefit of the doubt. It's a bit surprising that the faculty review board backed the program. This is the first time I've heard Hawk not giving a full release. Lastly, his Uncle is DS.

It may not end well, but it's becoming clear that there's some information we are missing on this story.

I'm giving Hawk the benefit of the doubt. It's a bit surprising that the faculty review board backed the program. This is the first time I've heard Hawk not giving a full release. Lastly, his Uncle is DS.

It may not end well, but it's becoming clear that there's some information we are missing on this story.

Ds is actually his nephew but u just typed too fast.

First, his "teamates" don't support him.

Second, Hawk and Bohn are sending a message to present and future players.

I don't give a rip if he comes back or not. He's a total flake. He doesn't work hard. He feels entitled for some wierd reason. He must think he's a super star. USC is loaded with super stars. This was a damned good move by Hawkins. No one is bigger than the team.

First, his "teamates" don't support him.

Second, Hawk and Bohn are sending a message to present and future players.

I don't give a rip if he comes back or not. He's a total flake. He doesn't work hard. He feels entitled for some wierd reason. He must think he's a super star. USC is loaded with super stars. This was a damned good move by Hawkins. No one is bigger than the team.

And I think there are a ton of D1 coaches enjoying watching this who won't pick him up either, because it sends the same message to their own players.

Yeah - typed too fast or maybe I just felt that JS was the baby in the family? Seriously, there are legit reasons to accomodate transfers.

-no chance to see the field
-family problems at home
-legit major changes

I am sure there's more to this we don't yet know, but it's certainly a bold move by Hawkins and I'm supportive as hell. Maybe it ends badly as BB states, but it's a move that I love all the same and I have an inkling that it doesn't end badly. Although I still expect the Denver Post to make their normal attack any day now.

First I wanna say when i saw this story my stomach kind of dropped. I was looking forward to watching J-Fly in Boulder this season but things happen. Now all these "rap star" comments are just ignorant and disrespectful. So the kid found something he loves and he wants to get better at it by going to school. Definitely something you should be mocking right?? The ignorance part is that hes not looking to be a rap star... Hes looking to PRODUCE music. If you read the articles hes been PRODUCING demos since high school. You cant go to school to be a rapper.... Thats called english class. So enough with all the bull **** rapper jokes. He wants to create legitimite music... what a bad kid!

First I wanna say when i saw this story my stomach kind of dropped. I was looking forward to watching J-Fly in Boulder this season but things happen. Now all these "rap star" comments are just ignorant and disrespectful. So the kid found something he loves and he wants to get better at it by going to school. Definitely something you should be mocking right?? The ignorance part is that hes not looking to be a rap star... Hes looking to PRODUCE music. If you read the articles hes been PRODUCING demos since high school. You cant go to school to be a rapper.... Thats called english class. So enough with all the bull **** rapper jokes. He wants to create legitimite music... what a bad kid!

I do agree with your point regarding Music Production vs. Rapping. Kyle made that point several weeks ago on Scout, and I've made an effort to be respectful of his life ambition.

Also, I know the things that matter to young people change as they develop and experience life. That's fine too.

However, if you look at the life of this thread, most of the "rap" jokes died out quite a while ago, and the focus tends to be on the impact to his team, and teammates, the value of contractual obligations and the inevitable speculation regarding that which happened behind the scenes. Oh, and some low-grade rumor-mongering as well.

Many people are sorry to see him go, and others are more apathetic. I don't think the discourse has been terribly disrespectful, however.

I get the sense that you are in some way connected to Josh. I'm sorry if you were offended, but I'm not convinced this thread warrants too much of a second-thought.

I, for one, do not feel sorry for Josh. Also, I do not feel that the University has wronged Josh. If anything, I feel that Josh has wasted a very nice opportunity.

He had the opportunity to receive an education at the University of Colorado - for free.
He had the opportunity to be a member of an NCAA football team, where he also had the opportunity to be televised on a weekly basis, where he also had the opportunity to develop a certain set of skills which possibly could have led to a future in the NFL, where he had the opportunity to generate a lot of money for himself.
All of these opportunities came about because the University of Colorado offered him a scholarship.

I do not begrudge him for wanting to leave or for wanting to pursue another major or to begin a music production career or what not. If that is his goal and his ambition then good for him, I wish him success.

Unfortunately, Josh Smith will be most remembered, by me, as someone who was full of potential, and never able to realize it.

I, for one, do not feel sorry for Josh. Also, I do not feel that the University has wronged Josh. If anything, I feel that Josh has wasted a very nice opportunity.

He had the opportunity to receive an education at the University of Colorado - for free.
He had the opportunity to be a member of an NCAA football team, where he also had the opportunity to be televised on a weekly basis, where he also had the opportunity to develop a certain set of skills which possibly could have led to a future in the NFL, where he had the opportunity to generate a lot of money for himself.
All of these opportunities came about because the University of Colorado offered him a scholarship.

I do not begrudge him for wanting to leave or for wanting to pursue another major or to begin a music production career or what not. If that is his goal and his ambition then good for him, I wish him success.

Unfortunately, Josh Smith will be most remembered, by me, as someone who was full of potential, and never able to realize it.

agreed. They were nice enough to allow him to go to USC. Let's keep in mind, he can still go to any school he wants...he just cant play FB on scholarship there. If music really is his love and dream, the door is certainly not closed for him.

There was obviously something going on behind all of this that has not reached anyone who is willing to report it or people are prevented from reporting it because of some sort of privacy policies.

I have no evidence for this, but I suspect some tampering was going on that was clearly identified and proven.

Transferring and/or quitting occurs in all sports at all levels all the time. Team players typically don't worry much and don't look back. Someone fills in and and the team keeps moving.

There was obviously something going on behind all of this that has not reached anyone who is willing to report it or people are prevented from reporting it because of some sort of privacy policies.

I have no evidence for this, but I suspect some tampering was going on that was clearly identified and proven.

Transferring and/or quitting occurs in all sports at all levels all the time. Team players typically don't worry much and don't look back. Someone fills in and and the team keeps moving.

Interesting theory that could have some legs. I could see some friends trying to sell the grass is greener than the other side BS. I doubt that kind of thing would happen from the coaching staffs of many of the fine programs in the PAC 10.(sarcasm)

agreed. They were nice enough to allow him to go to USC. Let's keep in mind, he can still go to any school he wants...he just cant play FB on scholarship there. If music really is his love and dream, the door is certainly not closed for him.

He most likely cannot go to any school he wants. I don't know what Josh's academic standing is, but it's possible that if USC isn't going to give him a football scholarship, he's not getting past admissions.

Given the fact that CU gave him a full release to go to USC -- and Josh Smith APPEALED that decision -- I do not think that Josh is really all that interested in going to USC.

It appears to me, based on the limited information available, that Josh wants to go to another school, be it Cal, or ASU, or something else -- where CU has NOT granted him a release.

While I understand that there will be some hardship, financially, for Josh to attend a school other than USC - I don't see that anybody has imposed any restrictions preventing Josh from attending those schools to pursue his educational desires.

We are looking very petty in regards to this.

I'd be with Hawkins if he didn't want to release Smith to a conference school or a school on the schedule the next few years, but this is just petty. If he doesn't want to be with us, fine, let him go. Let's face it, USC probably would not give him a football scholarship, so now we're going to screw Smith over and only release him to a school that we know most likely will not give him a scholarship?

Pathetic.

We are looking very petty in regards to this.

I'd be with Hawkins if he didn't want to release Smith to a conference school or a school on the schedule the next few years, but this is just petty. If he doesn't want to be with us, fine, let him go. Let's face it, USC probably would not give him a football scholarship, so now we're going to screw Smith over and only release him to a school that we know most likely will not give him a scholarship?

Pathetic.

I respectfully disagree. Based on what Josh told the AD regarding his reasons for requesting a transfer, CU is still giving him every chance to be successful at what he stated he wants to do. Josh can pursue music and be close to home at a school with an elite football program; what's wrong with that UNLESS Josh is being dishonest about something.

By the way, for anyone who thinks that this is unusual or doesn't happen elsewhere, look into Miami's restrictions on Robert Marve's 2009 transfer.

Back