What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Just got done re-watching the game

I think this is a factor that is underestimated. I do think they were a better team than they played the first 6 games of the season. Anderson lost the team and they played their hearts out yesterday with him gone and off their backs. Not an excuse for all the Buffs defects, but a bigger factor than some realize.

I think the beav coordinators put in an 80 hour week on CU to fight the claim made by Anderson on Monday that they were self promoting and dialing it in. This was a better Ostate by far than other teams have seen this year.

Also important to note last three games ostate got beat up by WSU, UW and USC. They are not a bad team, no PAC12 team is this year.

Oof. To me the Buffs are much more enjoyable when they're winning.
Yeah I agree - but I have a tendency for my ambitions and subsequently expectations to bloat a bit when they're winning, so then I forget what I like about watching good Buffs football if they don't meet the higher expectation, then I get disappointed.

After the Hawkins/Embree era where I was just desperate to watch my team play well let alone be a winning team, I now remind myself that as a fan, I'm content when they're fun to watch. I believe they'll break out and hang with and beat ranked teams regularly, get good bowl games and championships when they've earned it and they're ready.

The chasm between reality and your extreme negativity is so much wider than the chasm you perceive to be between 'sunshine fantasies' and reality. Dang i hope our Buffs aren't reading some of our comments--depressing as balls.

It's extreme negativity to point out that the opponent is terrible, now? This is a fact. 104th in FPI, 117th in S&P+. Of P5 teams, only Kansas is ranked lower in S&P+ (Illinois is 1 spot lower in FPI). It was a bad performance against a dog**** team. Trying to dress it up as a good win is both pathetic and dumb as hell, although not surprising as it's par for the course for the sunshine pumping crew.

I think the beav coordinators put in an 80 hour week on CU to fight the claim made by Anderson on Monday that they were self promoting and dialing it in. This was a better Ostate by far than other teams have seen this year.

Also important to note last three games ostate got beat up by WSU, UW and USC. They are not a bad team, no PAC12 team is this year.

Nall is a good player. Garretson has some experience. Definitely thought that team was going to be tough this year. For whatever reason, they just haven't been any good though. I really don't think that's debatable when you look at the way they've lost games before us.

I think it's convenient to suggest Gary Andersen's removal somehow turned them into the team we thought they'd be preseason. Maybe it had some positive effect like firing Hawkins did on us for a few games.. however, I think it's more likely that we just aren't a very good football team right now.

We were efficient when we needed to be and made stops when we needed to. That generally makes the difference against bad teams. If Oregon St was a good team or a well coached team then they would've buried us in the first half with the way we were playing.

Anyway, I'll keep tuning in because PL is amazing to watch, but would be surprised if our performance this weekend is anything more than a sign we aren't making a bowl game.

Yes they are, they are a really, really bad team.

Crazy weekend in general, but the PAC12 was just tipped upside down and we should be happy we got out of there with a win. Pretty much everything the OP said. For how crazy, see the below results vs spread and Wilner's Hotline picks:

Washington State at Cal
Point spread: Washington State -16.5
Hotline pick: Washington State 30-17
result: Cal 37-3 (massive upset)

Colorado at Oregon State
Point spread: Colorado -10
Hotline pick: Colorado 31-27
result: Colorado 36-33 (narrow vs spread)

Utah at USC
Point spread: USC -13
Hotline pick: USC 23-13
result: USC 28-27 (narrow vs spread)

UCLA at Arizona
Point spread: UCLA -2
Hotline pick: Arizona 38-31
result: Arizona 47-30 (upset, crushes spread)

Washington at Arizona State
Point spread: Washington -17.5
Hotline pick: Washington 28-16
result: ASU 13-7 (massive upset)

Oregon at Stanford
Point spread: Stanford -10
Hotline pick: Stanford 24-20
result: Stanford 49-7 (crushes spread)

In summary, results vs the spread were crazy. Colorado and USC were both lucky to not get upset. AZ, Cal and ASU all stunned the world. UCLA continued to play like powder blue pansies. And Oregon's defense keeps getting worse.

Man, I'll be honest. I care much less about bowl games than I do about the Buffs being fun to watch.

Bowl game would be nice to get comfortable with being in higher stakes, higher national attention games, but I'd be happy with a handful of wins with a Buffs game worth dedicating my Saturdays to.
If a handful of wins is your thing, you found your team.

A major takeaway is the turnaround of ASU, Cal and Arizona's defenses. All had talent, but awful schemes. All have new schemes (with Arizona being in year 2, but Richrod giving the DC full control now). All are dramatically better than the garbage of 2015.

Then there's Oregon's defense. Talented, but garbage. Jim Leavitt not earning a paycheck. Thus I'm not going to be quick to blame the Colorado DC. He's fighting a war with less than a full brigade. And Leavitt is nothing special.

Thank god that the offense in the second half converted....held the ball...scored TDs. Much like the week before, we never really stopped OSU. We were fortunate that they **** the bed in the red zone. Our defense is a mess. Our DBs are lost. Our front seven gets manhandled. The current defensive coaches appear to be in over their head. Out of synch. Our safeties seem to be regressing. Wide open receivers. And then you look at our mediocre recruiting, and the future looks uncertain. Our offense is holding the line. Montez is growing up. Bobo and Taz are stars. Shoot outs lay ahead.

Oregon's defense is better than they were last year.....Oregon much better than CU in run and total defense. Oregons fortune went south when their QB got hurt. The frosh they have replacing him is okay...but not getting it done. Would take Leavitt in a New York minute. Would trade MM for Leavitt tomorrow. Oh well, we are stuck with has been coaches on defense, mediocre recruiting. BTW...Kentucky has a top 10 defense against the run this year with a different DC...lol.

Oregon's defense is better than they were last year.....Oregon much better than CU in run and total defense. Oregons fortune went south when their QB got hurt. The frosh they have replacing him is okay...but not getting it done. Would take Leavitt in a New York minute. Would trade MM for Leavitt tomorrow. Oh well, we are stuck with has been coaches on defense, mediocre recruiting. BTW...Kentucky has a top 10 defense against the run this year with a different DC...lol.
You do realize that Kentucky was very green on defense last year and that is a large reason why they struggled so much and they were expected to take a pretty big step forward this year returning 9 starters? Similar to what happened here with a veteran group with some pretty good talent progressing from 2014-2016.

The Leavitt love is comical to read. Some of you guys really need to let it go.
Agreed. People are complaining about paying Eliot less than Leavitt is being paid. Imagine if we paid him what Oregon is paying (or more to keep him!) and got the same results. Maybe the pessimists can stop bringing him up without addressing that we’d have had to fire the coach of the year in order to keep him?

The Leavitt hate is comical to read. Some of you guys really need to let it go.

PAC12 2015 had completely inept defenses at the Arizona schools plus Oregon, and completely inept offenses at Stanford and UCLA. There are no completely inept teams in the conference this year (including Oregon State sans Anderson). All of those holes have been plugged to some degree. Oregon will eventually play better defense as well, but they've shown the least amount of improvement recently.

But Leavitt is no God. This isn't hate, this is a counter to the Leavitt is God crowd, of which there are many.

We all have opinions... None of any more value than others. There are many that believe the success last year was built on Leavitt's enthusiasm and game day defensive play calls. There are many that believe MM was equally responsible. Neither are provable one way or another.

The Leavitt hate is comical to read. Some of you guys really need to let it go.
There were a number of posters so afraid of losing Leavitt that people were ready to dump Mac after the 2015 season and promote Leavitt to HC. The guy walked on water here for 3 years - I never saw a single negative post about him. Only weeks before he left, there was an AB initiative to personally deliver him cases of Pepsi.

Now you've got holic and Scheck talking about how he's nothing special. Jilted.

Agreed. People are complaining about paying Eliot less than Leavitt is being paid. Imagine if we paid him what Oregon is paying (or more to keep him!) and got the same results. Maybe the pessimists can stop bringing him up without addressing that we’d have had to fire the coach of the year in order to keep him?

And that really is the point. Leavitt's value under a defensive minded head coach did not approach the value he brought to other programs, not to mention the funny-money that is Oregon football. Eliot is the Black Knight fighting King Arther in Monty Python.

More valid questions are why did we not load up more for the 3-4? If Utah can get guys, we should have some guys.

We all have opinions... None of any more value than others. There are many that believe the success last year was built on Leavitt's enthusiasm and game day defensive play calls. There are many that believe MM was equally responsible. Neither are provable one way or another.
Only idiots who aren't able to back up their opinions believe all opinions are equally valid. It's an objective world.

There were a number of posters so afraid of losing Leavitt that people were ready to dump Mac after the 2015 season and promote Leavitt to HC. The guy walked on water here for 3 years - I never saw a single negative post about him. Only weeks before he left, there was an AB initiative to personally deliver him cases of Pepsi.

Holic never said he walked on water and always maintained that. His record at Oregon speaks for itself. And his recruiting here at CU didn't help our situation!

I have to admit both the optimists and the pessimists are going off the rails here.

PAC12 2015 had completely inept defenses at the Arizona schools plus Oregon, and completely inept offenses at Stanford and UCLA. There are no completely inept teams in the conference this year (including Oregon State sans Anderson). All of those holes have been plugged to some degree. Oregon will eventually play better defense as well, but they've shown the least amount of improvement recently.

But Leavitt is no God. This isn't hate, this is a counter to the Leavitt is God crowd, of which there are many.
2016?

Oregon State is inept. They have a single + player on that team. Their lone victory was over an FCS team that is currently 0-8 and they trailed in that game until there was only a minute left. It doesn't get much worse. They are Hawkins level inept.

Suddenly a 1-6 Oregon State team is not inept?

I get some of you guys are annoyed with dumb negativity (fire Mac, etc.), but can we stop the "Oregon State is not a bad team" narrative as well. Come on.

Oh FFS... Saying that he wouldn't have this defensive personnel playing at a significantly higher level than Eliot, doesn't mean I think he's a bad coach, and I've never said as much. You, Slider and Big Jim can continue deifying him all you want.

Back