What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Just got done re-watching the game

Suddenly a 1-6 Oregon State team is not inept?

I get some of you guys are annoyed with dumb negativity (fire Mac, etc.), but can we stop the "Oregon State is not a bad team" narrative as well. Come on.

I would submit that on last Saturday, independent of the opponent, Oregon State was not a bad team, and may have beaten half of conference visitors.

Emotions play a big part in CFB. See Cal and ASU "out of nowhere" victories this weekend.

I would submit that on last Saturday, independent of the opponent, Oregon State was not a bad team, and may have beaten half of conference visitors.

Emotions play a big part in CFB. See Cal and ASU "out of nowhere" victories this weekend.
Or was it simply a matter of two last place teams facing off in a game where the slightly better team came away with the win?

I don't believe for a second that Oregon State would have beaten half of conference visitors on Saturday - that is a really bad team.

Well.....glad that we can have a civil debate without the use of names..bwahahahahahaha!!!!. Oregon's defense, one of the worst in FBS last year, is ranked 44th in total defense and 22nd against the run. Our Buffs are 97th and 98th, respectively. Oregons offense, with Herbert, averaged over 300 yards per game passing and 250 yards per game rushing in their first four games and was 7-8 for 90 yards against Cal when he went out with injury. He was the fifth ranked passer in FBS. Despite his injury early, they still whipped Cal. Over the last three games, with their third string QB, they have averaged just 100 yards passing. Their offense has caused the defense to be on the field much more. So, yeah...Leavitt's defense is better than the Buffs this year. I guess you can come up with excuses about how we lost players, Leavitt inherited better athletes, blah, blah, blah. Thank goodness our offense had several 18 play drives the last two weeks or we could easily be at the bottom of the FBS defensive statistics. Now go take on the day!!!!
Points are the only thing that actually count in a football game, and last i checked CU allowed fewer of those per game than Oregon.

And, if you want to say that Oregon's defense been put in a bad position by their offense, how does that translate to CU, which has endured a much worse offensive performance this year than Oregon?

This thread.....

cOMj3.gif

I get some of you guys are annoyed with dumb negativity (fire Mac, etc.), but can we stop the "Oregon State is not a bad team" narrative as well. Come on.
I can go along with that. But with Nor Cal and others throwing the negativity around, it's like maybe we should send a keg/pack (something opposite of Pepsi) to get the point across to whoever gives a **** about football in the Champions Center that their most loyal fan base on AB expects greater things out of our DC and D-minded HC, MM? Any creative ideas anyone?
Btw, I don't think this was a very good win. It is **** that we won so narrowly.
I still think the negativity should be channeled constructively with letters sent to RG or MM or whoever stating how the lackluster D is impacting recruits and $.

I can go along with that. But with Nor Cal and others throwing the negativity around, it's like maybe we should send a keg/pack (something opposite of Pepsi) to get the point across to whoever gives a **** about football in the Champions Center that their most loyal fan base on AB expects greater things out of our DC and D-minded HC, MM? Any creative ideas anyone?
Btw, I don't think this was a very good win. It is **** that we won so narrowly.
I still think the negativity should be channeled constructively with letters sent to RG or MM or whoever stating how the lackluster D is impacting recruits and $.

You think MM is hoing to give a damn what fans think of his DC?

My fusker friend, I'm not sure who you are even arguing with at this point. I pointed out you said something stupid. That's all.

Anyway, replacing ............. with !!!!!!!!!!!! just makes you look like a more excited type of idiot. (!!!!)

As for your desire to hate all things HCMM, carry on. Enjoy watching the fuskers, or oregon, or whoever you actually like.

Utah has also won a ton of games in the 10 years when CU was bad. They have a track record and a great relationship with Poly players. CU has one good season and everyone suddenly expects Utah level recruits. We do have a leg up in location, facilities and school prestige, but Kyle at Utah is a proven coach who’s been at Utah a long time with a lot of success

I would not say that Utah absolutely has better players, but I do wish we still had the Poly players connection (Cabral), and I have a feeling that Coach Whittingham is about to get poached for a much bigger job, unless Utah believes they can pay up.

The number of places that are a legit step up from Utah is pretty small. A few in the SEC. maybe if Dabo heads home to Bama, an opening at Clemson would be a step up. Perhaps a few places in the B1G. Nebraska came to mind, but then I realized he probably has an easier path to the Rose Bowl at Utah.

OSU is a bad team.

CU also caught them on a week when CU was particularly vulnerable to the one thing OSU does well and OSU was dialed in after their coach quit on them.

Given that, it was a week I was happy to escape with a victory and move on from a 3 game losing streak.

I think that's a very fair assessment and that the negativity after the game was way over the top.

Or was it simply a matter of two last place teams facing off in a game where the slightly better team came away with the win?

I don't believe for a second that Oregon State would have beaten half of conference visitors on Saturday - that is a really bad team.
Oregon State would have beaten half of visitors this past week end. Oregon State is a broken team. Both of these are true statements

Thread title - I just can not bring myself to watching that game again...I tried. Watching them just run right at us and we did not make them punt is ridiculous. The few time the QB threw a pass, he looked like Joe freak'n Montana while going right at our best DB.

Last edited:
OSU is a bad team.

CU also caught them on a week when CU was particularly vulnerable to the one thing OSU does well and OSU was dialed in after their coach quit on them.

Given that, it was a week I was happy to escape with a victory and move on from a 3 game losing streak.

I think that's a very fair assessment and that the negativity after the game was way over the top.

Four very solid assessments, but the one thing I noticed after watching the game again is that the Defense has absolutely zero game control capabilities like last years defense did. Last years defense had so many options, so much flexibility, and so many play makers that other teams were always off balance. Our defense was on the attack and had the other team worried. This years defense is young, inexperienced, weak in some key spots (DL and ILB), and I feel a little over coached right now. I hate it when a defense also looks to the sidelines for a signal to change the defense you already called with 3 seconds before the offense is hiking the ball. They look like they are over thinking everything and not just flying to the ball. If I were the other team, (which OSU did very well except on 4-5 really good throws in front of Oliver), I would just run the receiver on Oliver up the field and take him out of the play. Then, I would find Drew Lewis and send someone, whether an extra lineman, TE, or RB out to engage him and he is now occupied. Now, you just run the play you want to run and the remaining 9 guys is not quite yet up to speed to stop you. The best example of over coaching is that they are getting worse each game because they are having film sessions and are now deep inside their heads. There is talent on this young defense in spots, just let them play with a couple of base defenses and make a few stops and let the offense run the show. I am actually already hyped about next year because maybe the offense, defense, and special teams will be on the same page.

Four very solid assessments, but the one thing I noticed after watching the game again is that the Defense has absolutely zero game control capabilities like last years defense did. Last years defense had so many options, so much flexibility, and so many play makers that other teams were always off balance. Our defense was on the attack and had the other team worried. This years defense is young, inexperienced, weak in some key spots (DL and ILB), and I feel a little over coached right now. I hate it when a defense also looks to the sidelines for a signal to change the defense you already called with 3 seconds before the offense is hiking the ball. They look like they are over thinking everything and not just flying to the ball. If I were the other team, (which OSU did very well except on 4-5 really good throws in front of Oliver), I would just run the receiver on Oliver up the field and take him out of the play. Then, I would find Drew Lewis and send someone, whether an extra lineman, TE, or RB out to engage him and he is now occupied. Now, you just run the play you want to run and the remaining 9 guys is not quite yet up to speed to stop you. The best example of over coaching is that they are getting worse each game because they are having film sessions and are now deep inside their heads. There is talent on this young defense in spots, just let them play with a couple of base defenses and make a few stops and let the offense run the show. I am actually already hyped about next year because maybe the offense, defense, and special teams will be on the same page.
Great post!

Most people see an inexperienced, struggling defense with some talent gaps and they call for more gambling with exotic stunts in order to try to make a play.

That’s exactly the wrong approach.

Play base. Install a few wrinkles for that week’s opponent. Play fast as you learn.

Great post!

Most people see an inexperienced, struggling defense with some talent gaps and they call for more gambling with exotic stunts in order to try to make a play.

That’s exactly the wrong approach.

Play base. Install a few wrinkles for that week’s opponent. Play fast as you learn.
I don’t disagree, but when your base 3 or 4 man rush cant generate any pressure, and I mean ANY pressure, you have to resort to more exotic schemes. The Secondary last year was elite, but we had an athletic front 4 that could get after the QB.

Back