What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Justin Bannon

I don't believe the state pen is the solution for a guy like Bannon.

I think it's pretty clear that he has some mental illness (paranoia for sure) and drug problems and he needs to be incarcerated for treatment and to protect himself as well as society. Sending him to prison with his paranoia is a recipe for disaster and would seem to offer no glimmer of hope of rehabilitation. Bannon tried to kill that innocent woman, but his motive seems to me to be highly believable. He's a mess.

It doesn't really seem important to me that he "still fails to accept full responsibility for his drug abuse leading to the attempted murder of the victim in this case". That would be nice, but it's also a symptom of his illness, is it not?

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. Not a week goes by when I don't fire a weapon and come close to killing someone. Is that frowned upon? Illegal with serious consequences? Learn something new every day, I suppose.
This dude is lucky he ONLY got 16 years. Prosecutors wants way more and it seems the only reason he got the minimum is because the victim herself pleaded for a lighter sentence. Pretty remarkable.

I don't believe the state pen is the solution for a guy like Bannon.

I think it's pretty clear that he has some mental illness (paranoia for sure) and drug problems and he needs to be incarcerated for treatment and to protect himself as well as society. Sending him to prison with his paranoia is a recipe for disaster and would seem to offer no glimmer of hope of rehabilitation. Bannon tried to kill that innocent woman, but his motive seems to me to be highly believable. He's a mess.

It doesn't really seem important to me that he "still fails to accept full responsibility for his drug abuse leading to the attempted murder of the victim in this case". That would be nice, but it's also a symptom of his illness, is it not?
Spot on.

The only thing that incarcerating someone like Bannon does is remove him as a danger to the general population for the time he is behind bars.

When his time is served, if he is still alive he will likely come out more dangerous to society and to himself. Meanwhile he will be a significant risk to other inmates and the staff of whatever facility he is in.

Providing a place where persons like Bannon can receive treatment even at a minimal level would be more expensive than warehousing him in a prison but the long term cost are likely to be much greater both financially and on a human basis.

It's the age old debate on whether the purpose of the penal system is mostly to punish or mostly to rehabilitate. In the US, we generally have a punishment model.

Back