What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long-term plan for CU facilities upgrades

Balch is a s**thouse and is getting worse every year - they need to do something about that badly.

Also probably not a huge priority, but something is wrong with the video boards - it’s like the individual screens aren’t tuned properly so the brightness level varies and you can make out each square.

Balch is a s**thouse and is getting worse every year - they need to do something about that badly.

Also probably not a huge priority, but something is wrong with the video boards - it’s like the individual screens aren’t tuned properly so the brightness level varies and you can make out each square.
That was another thing mentioned, we're getting a new southern video board next year, should be much bigger.

1. The troughs are classic.

2. Fix everything else in the restrooms.

3. I find the fact that the troughs were not filled with rubber duckies at least once when UO visited Folsom to be convincing evidence that PD has massively failed in general undergraduate recruiting and admissions.

Stadium revenues are going to be an important factor going forward. I think RG understands this. Get the West/Northwest side renovated, add some additional seating, and do it soon. In another 10 years, we will likely be competing against programs that generate twice what we do on a per game basis. Along with media revenues, that’s a gap that needs to be addressed.

These are several years old but are still relevant to this thread…
We need a massive press box/suite level exactly like the 49ers stadium. Then you have a floor for people to hang out with each level so they don’t have to go down and then all the people from the stands can hang out in the renovated bottom level.

Stadium revenues are going to be an important factor going forward. I think RG understands this. Get the West/Northwest side renovated, add some additional seating, and do it soon. In another 10 years, we will likely be competing against programs that generate twice what we do on a per game basis. Along with media revenues, that’s a gap that needs to be addressed.
Yeah, I think they need to add seats and then take out the first few rows so they can expand the sidelines. It's always been a bit dangerous, they should address that.

Phase 1: demo, replace balch. Remove seats to widen concourses and sidelines. Capacity stays the same.

Phase 2: close in the north end zone. Replace bleachers with chairs between the 40s. Capacity increases 1.5k+

Phase 3: 3rd tier on south end zone. Figure it out with Colorado Blvd, but my guess is road continues under the bleachers. Capacity increases 6k.

Phase 1: demo, replace balch. Remove seats to widen concourses and sidelines. Capacity stays the same.

Phase 2: close in the north end zone. Replace bleachers with chairs between the 40s. Capacity increases 1.5k+

Phase 3: 3rd tier on south end zone. Figure it out with Colorado Blvd, but my guess is road continues under the bleachers. Capacity increases 6k.
JMHO, we need to add at least 15k in capacity. A 58k capacity stadium would put us at a distinct disadvantage, revenue wise, with our peers going forward. We need to do all the other stuff, too. But we simply cannot afford to be pulling in half of the game day revenue of our peers. Just can’t.

That looks like they just plopped a Top Golf on top of some bleachers.
Built in revenue generator. Indoor, with simulator screens instead of an actual range.

Please please do something to add seating. Still gotta make it out for a game at Folsom. The way things are going, I should have come out a time or several before this season…

Also, if we are going to continue to grow the enrollment of the school, we need to accommodate an ever increasing student body looking for tickets. Right now, there’s roughly one ticket for every two undergrads. That has to change.

They had the tunnel giving access to the men's room on the SE side blocked off yesterday, leading to more congestion in Balch and other locations with toilets. Wtf?!?!! Blocking access to one of the largest and most convenient men's rooms, on the biggest home game of the decade, is a questionable decision.. at best.

I'm legit curious why this was done.

Last edited:
They had the tunnel giving access to the men's room on the SE side blocked off yesterday, leading to more congestion in Balch and other locations with toilets. Wtf?!?!! Blocking access to one of the largest and most convenient men's rooms, on the biggest home game of the decade, is a questionable decision.. at best.

I'm legit curious why this was done.
Yesterdays game exposed a lot of the design flaws in Folsom. The massive line of people waiting for the elevator to the club level created a serious logjam on the concourse. People using the walkway to move around inside the stadium created logjams at every tunnel exit. These are minor issues when people show up halfway through the first period to see a Dorrell led team get its teeth kicked in. They’re major problems when 53,000 people, many of whom are not very familiar with the intricacies of Folsom Stadium, are attempting to navigate around.

As much as I love the thought of adding capacity someday, they need to vastly improve the gameday experience for the 55k who show up now first. Folsom is in one of the most beautiful setting in college football, but the stadium itself needs an overhaul. I don’t know how you prioritize this stuff but:
- Balch needs to be replaced entirely, it’s a sweat box with awful concession setup.
- Concessions need a complete overhaul. They’re still using food trucks to handle concessions on the west side and they can’t keep up with demand so lines are ridiculous.
- concourses need to be widened - way too many pinch points so takes forever to get to from some sections.
- whole A/V system still way below average
- bathroom have been mentioned ad nauseum but they’re 3rd world.
- I feel like Ralphie deserves a more permanent pen/setup for game days. A place of honor and create a photo op out of it. It’s still strange to see handlers carrying a mobile pen with Ralphie inside to get her in position.

In a sense, I support the idea of adding capacity in the spirit of "CU betting on themselves being successful", but we don't have reason to believe this year's ticket sales are sustainable, yet...

1. Let's start by selling out the home slate this year, (2 games remain not sold out, thanks Yak)

2. Show me that Colorado sports fans can sustain interest in a college team for more than one year (i.e. demonstrate that the reasons why we didn't sell out Folsom in 1991 aren't valid today).

3. Show me that a successful CU football team can still draw well in an era where the Broncos are also doing well.

Then let's talk about expanding Folsom.

Edit: updated sold out games for this year, thanks @The Alabaster Yak

Last edited:
In a sense, I support the idea of adding capacity in the spirit of "CU betting on themselves being successful", but we don't have reason to believe this year's ticket sales are sustainable, yet...

1. Let's start by selling out the home slate this year, (4 games remain not sold out, IIRC)

2. Show me that Colorado sports fans can sustain interest in a college team for more than one year (i.e. demonstrate that the reasons why we didn't sell out Folsom in 1991 aren't valid today).

3. Show me that a successful CU football team can still draw well in an era where the Broncos are also doing well.

Then let's talk about expanding Folsom.
CSU and USC both sold out last week, to go with Nebraska and Stanford.

I also don’t think the Broncos being good or not has any bearing on the Buffs excitement in the state. IMO, the fan bases of the two teams are not as overlapping as people think
They definitely overlap, but in a reinforcing sort of way rather than one detracts from the other sort of way.

They definitely overlap, but in a reinforcing sort of way rather than one detracts from the other sort of way.
They overlap more in a way that USC/UCLA and LAR/LAC fans overlap (for a loose example) and less in the way that say Green Bay and Wisconsin fans overlap.

There are A LOT of Broncos fans who are not CU fans in the slightest and vice versa

1. The troughs are classic.

2. Fix everything else in the restrooms.

3. I find the fact that the troughs were not filled with rubber duckies at least once when UO visited Folsom to be convincing evidence that PD has massively failed in general undergraduate recruiting and admissions.
We did it in 2015 when I was there....

Back