What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac, please shut up.

Mac may have THOUGHT he knew what he was doing, but who the hell gave him permission to interfere this way? Didn't Embree (assuming it's him) deserve the appropriate introduction to the BuffNation? Didn't the projected staff deserve 24 hours notice to let their current bosses know they were leaving to coach at CU?

NOT Mac's place to interrupt the process and refocus the conversation on himself. If Embree called him for advice, support or to share the news and did NOT say "and by the way Mac, I'd be honored if you would leak this to that slimeball Henderson if you have a chance" -- then on top of it all, Mac destroyed his trust with Embree by sharing information not ready to be shared.

And if Embree did that, we picked the wrong guy. He's not HC material if he asked this to be leaked. Bohn is his boss (or will be) and should be allowed to announce this when the ink has dried on the contracts.

Exactly!
Here’s my take. The Denver Post reporter scumbag whose name I won't even repeat do to possibility of serious keyboard puke, probably extracted the information from Mac
“in confidence”. Basically Mac trusted this snake with information and he got his ass in a tangle as a result. I view the D Post reporter as little more than an old folks home worker stealing from the purses of little old ladies.

They had Henderson on Mark, Al and D-Mac last night to get an explanation of the quote. When the entire quote was read on the radio by D-Mac it was not so bad. Certain things could have been worded differently, but Al felt that it was a good quote by Mac with good intentions. Obviously Al likes Mac, but obviously he is African American as well. Al felt that Embo and Bienemy were going to kill it in LA (in terms of recruiting).

I think Embo is good for number of reasons, but one to add is his relationship with Mac (for support or whatever). I think that may prove to be valuable.

Sorry, the whole Anschutz angle was complete BS. He has never and never will give a **** about CU athletics

Maybe, but he sure was rumored to have weighed in on Mac being hired a few weeks ago. While it appears this was driven more by his like of Mac's social interests (PK) - I sure as hell hope that if the folks at CU were listening it was because there was some green involved for the AD. At that time, a cabinet member was telling me that Mac was a done deal so there had to be something behind it other than a passing comment (and I'm assuming that since his name is already on the hospital those $$$ are already committed).

Now that Mac has shifted his focus to getting one of his boys hired, I sure hope that green (if there was ever any involved) would follow. Just a hope...but I am not going to completely dismiss the likelihood of PA taking an interest just yet until this all has played out.

IMO, this underscores why MB never really wanted Mac. If Mac and MB get into a pissing contest, Mac wins every time, and twice on Thursday.

I agree with ITB, Mac had a reason to go ff the reservation. Whether you like it or not, and there are reasons on either side of the equation, Mac is a leader and willing to step out and do what needs to be done, whether anybody else likes it or not. That is how he got to the NC. You don't get to the top at anything by hoping everyone likes you which, in the end, is why MB isn't even in the same league with a man the caliber of Mac, as far as leadership goes.

Mac is like the crazy uncle in the CU family-- lots of history, but you can't really trust him to not go off at the wrong time. When candidates are under contract in other situations, there are steps that need to be taken, and word leaking out like this can have serious implications--even if everything Mac says is true, if Bohn hadn't completed all the proper steps, the process could fall apart and create legal issues. From the outside, we don't know all the red tape involved, and for Mac to jump the gun and steal the spotlight certainly won't win him friends inside the AD. He'd have been much better off to let Embree and EB shower him with praise when they were officially announced than to call attention to himself by breaking the news.

Mac is like the crazy uncle in the CU family-- lots of history, but you can't really trust him to not go off at the wrong time. When candidates are under contract in other situations, there are steps that need to be taken, and word leaking out like this can have serious implications--even if everything Mac says is true, if Bohn hadn't completed all the proper steps, the process could fall apart and create legal issues. From the outside, we don't know all the red tape involved, and for Mac to jump the gun and steal the spotlight certainly won't win him friends inside the AD. He'd have been much better off to let Embree and EB shower him with praise when they were officially announced than to call attention to himself by breaking the news.

I like this guy.

:thumbsup:

Another thought on the topic. Reading Allbuffs and listening to sports talk over the past month I have yet to hear an outcry for Embo as anyone's passionate choice. In fact, the 3-4 names thrown around had such passionate followings that perhaps the backlash of none of them being named HC would have made the announcement a completely polarizing disaster. Maybe Mac broke the news early to diffuse the PR bomb against CU or even redirect it towards himself.

I really believe Bohn was being the ususal whimp that he is and was prolonging the situation and could have
possibly been reconsidering what he wanted to do.

So if Bohn wanted to take more than 1 week to make this hire, if he wanted to talk to more than about 4 candidates in the biggest hire of his career, and maybe in the history of this program, that makes him a "whimp"? Seriously?? Personally I have no problem with this process being given a little bit of time and deliberation. In fact, if Mac deliberately did this in order to narrow the pool of potential candidates and rush a decision, he should never be given any kind of role in the AD again. That would be the WORST thing he could have done for this program...

Yeah. If Mac would have just kept his mouth shut, the cat would still be in the bag! Riiiiiiiggggghhhhhhttttttt! :lol:

Mac is just genuinly happy that, one, a Buff got the job and, two, an African-American got the job. He has always believed that Colorado would greatly benefit by having an African-American coach. First, it will help recruit black kids to a very white campus and second, Mac has a heart for minorities and wants to see more opportunities for them. AJ, you are completely off base. Mac did not do this for Mac. He did it because he is genuinely excited.

Also, Mac pretty much locked Embry in by going on record. He took away any opportunity for Bohn to change his mind.

One more thing, AJ, the title of your thread is disrespectful BS. Why don't you shut the **** up? :smile2:

strong first post.

I'm surprised to see that there are Mac apologists/rationalizers on this one.

There is nothing honorable about getting out in front of the AD on this one. Likewise, there is nothing intelligent about claiming to have "set the table for a black man." That's about the stupidest public comment I've heard in a long time.

So, first you imply that Mac is "the crazy uncle" who just goes off for no reason. Then you conclude by saying Mac is trying to draw attention to himself. What is it? Is he crazy or is he calculated? Pretty weak first post, man!

:lol: Welcome to Allbuffs. Keep it up!

For some of you, Mac can do no wrong.

That's fine. Mac has done enough to earn that kind of loyalty from a segment of the fan base.

But I really think he got overly excited about the Embree news, couldn't keep it under his hat to let the process play out in the correct way, and messed up on this one. I would bet that he feels awful about it.

So, first you imply that Mac is "the crazy uncle" who just goes off for no reason. Then you conclude by saying Mac is trying to draw attention to himself. What is it? Is he crazy or is he calculated? Pretty weak first post, man!

DBT--by the "crazy uncle" comment, i just meant that Mac either doesn't think through, or doesn't care about the possible fallout from saying whatever the heck he wants, or whether it's appropriate or not. He does know that by saying anything, he'll be back in the news, and i think he likes that (I felt the same way about his publicly campaigning for the job in the first place). I just wish he'd think about potential unintended consequences and keep quiet. No one can question his importance to the program, but to me, things like this only diminish his reputation.

DBT--by the "crazy uncle" comment, i just meant that Mac either doesn't think through, or doesn't care about the possible fallout from saying whatever the heck he wants, or whether it's appropriate or not. He does know that by saying anything, he'll be back in the news, and i think he likes that (I felt the same way about his publicly campaigning for the job in the first place). I just wish he'd think about potential unintended consequences and keep quiet. No one can question his importance to the program, but to me, things like this only diminish his reputation.

Noc0l,

DBT IS our crazy uncle around here. He's messing with you. Pay no attention to the guy sweeping up the cheetos behind the curtain.

[video=youtube;poAbI_gMcfI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poAbI_gMcfI[/video]

Last edited:

Two very good posts out of the gate and I agree with you on every count. Even in his hey day, Mac had trouble with his mouth that put himself in, shall we say, situtations that created unwanted controversies. He was a great coach and loves CU but he is a loose cannon at times. He should have stayed out of this one.

Two very good posts out of the gate and I agree with you on every count. Even in his hey day, Mac had trouble with his mouth that put himself in, shall we say, situtations that created unwanted controversies. He was a great coach and loves CU but he is a loose cannon at times. He should have stayed out of this one.

Listen, BB, Mac has a helluva lot more invested in CU than most of us. I'm pretty sure the program's demise has ripped him apart. To say he should have stayed out is really not taking into account how important the program is to him. Lets say you had started and developed a successful business, then retired. And then the new owners had driven it into the ground and the shareholders were up in arms. Wouldn't you want to have input into getting "your" company back on track. Mac is very invested into CU. Its unfair and unreasonable to think he should just keep his mouth shut, insn't it?

Listen, BB, Mac has a helluva lot more invested in CU than most of us. I'm pretty sure the program's demise has ripped him apart. To say he should have stayed out is really not taking into account how important the program is to him. Lets say you had started and developed a successful business, then retired. And then the new owners had driven it into the ground and the shareholders were up in arms. Wouldn't you want to have input into getting "your" company back on track. Mac is very invested into CU. Its unfair and unreasonable to think he should just keep his mouth shut, insn't it?

DBT- Input is one thing. Hell, I'd rather Mac be on the search committee than a candidate for the job. But giving input to a reporter or in front of the camera looks more like grandstanding than an impassioned recommendation of how to get back on track. Mac needs to give input to the people who make the decisions (and they'd be negligent if they didn't ask him for it...he HAS earned that), and leave it at that.

My point of view is that MAC has earned the right to spout off on CU. Bohn has had not problem parading Mac around when he it suited his agenda. Mac has done plenty to help out the AD for absolutely no money over the past 5 years. I think people are over-reacting to MACs comments. The man does not beat around the bush and that is why I always thought people wanting him for AD was funny.

I think Mac wanted to be sure that some wishy-washy guy did not change their mind on the new coach.

No, you listen. He was out of line here. While he give speeches at recrutiting lunches and such, he has not been the face of the football program in more than 16 years. I agree he loves the program and wants to see it succeed but to come out and screw the process the way he did was wrong. Some say he was driving a decision but I do not believe it. While he is the greatest single contributor to the successes we had in the past, it does not give him the right or privelidge to jeopordize the process and create a ****storm for CU like he did. Sorry, imho you are wrong. Is not the first time nor will it be the last time you and I disagree. After all, you old ****ers have to stick together! :smile2:

I think Mac wanted to be sure that some wishy-washy guy did not change their mind on the new coach.

If that's what he was doing, I'm glad for his sake that it didn't backfire. Lots of stuff can go wrong when a hire leaks to the press/public before contract negotiations and the release from the current employer have been concluded. Mac really risked Embree's future by opening his mouth and I know that wasn't his intent.

If that's what he was doing, I'm glad for his sake that it didn't backfire. Lots of stuff can go wrong when a hire leaks to the press/public before contract negotiations and the release from the current employer have been concluded. Mac really risked Embree's future by opening his mouth and I know that wasn't his intent.

Shanny had already told Embree that he was free to take the job and only wished him the best. Mac did not hear it from Embree, Mac has contacts at CU that are a lot higher up than Mike Bohn. It was a done deal and Henderson knew it (hell I knew it) he just used Coach Mac for confirmation.

come on people-

Mac did what he did & said what he said ON PURPOSE...
I really believe Bohn was being the ususal whimp that he is and was prolonging the situation and could have
possibly been reconsidering what he wanted to do. I seriously believe Mac let the cat out of the bag and brought up
"black men" on purpose so that Bohn could not make a last second change of mind. It's rather amusing to see Mac have more balls than Bohn could ever imagine having.

this.. lay off Mac , people!

Back