What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mack Brown reportedly stepping down

I look at that as a career strategy move. His "personal brand" was going to tank if he stayed too much longer in Miami without success, and I think he had figured out that he wasn't going to be successful in the pros (or at least in Miami in those particular set of circumstances). By moving back to college, where he knew he could be successful, he retained some of the value he had already built.
In the long run it worked out and it's definitely easy to say in hindsight, it was a great move. He had already won a national championship when he went to Miami.

I think it was more the pros than Miami per se. He had as much control as a hc could have in the pros not to mention a hands-off owner in Huizanga. He's said before that the cap/draft limited his power in the pros since he couldn't outwork other coaches like he could in college with all the parity.

I think he also knows when to get out before things fall off a bit. He's set the bar very high at Alabama, and he knows how hard it is to maintain that level. Pitfalls seem to always stack up at really successful programs--staff turnover, team discipline/motivation, ncaa violations. Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll knew when it was time to move on, I think Saban follows a similar career strategy.
Saban is also older than both of those two when they left their respective positions. I don't think he moves. If he were younger, there would be more of a chance IMO.

All reasonable people hate Texas fans.

All Texans, really.

I have a love hate relationship with the state (and lived there for a bit too, which is probably where the hate comes from). Something is going on down there, that makes people bards. I love the music that comes out of Texas (Austin really) more than any other genre. Go to The Shag, and you'll encounter a collection of genuinely funny, informed people. But nearly every transaction or interaction in Texas seems to come down to a dick-measuring contest. It's weird, really. I've never lived any place else where the John Wayne manly ethic is so ridiculously (and pointlessly) alive. Texans really are assholes--but they're there own kind of assholes.

There is a quiet and respectable manner in which to be a cattleman (I love me some Montana, for instance). Texas doesn't really do that.

All Texans, really.

I have a love hate relationship with the state (and lived there for a bit too, which is probably where the hate comes from). Something is going on down there, that makes people bards. I love the music that comes out of Texas (Austin really) more than any other genre. Go to The Shag, and you'll encounter a collection of genuinely funny, informed people. But nearly every transaction or interaction in Texas seems to come down to a dick-measuring contest. It's weird, really. I've never lived any place else where the John Wayne manly ethic is so ridiculously (and pointlessly) alive. Texans really are assholes--but they're there own kind of assholes.

There is a quiet and respectable manner in which to be a cattleman (I love me some Montana, for instance). Texas doesn't really do that.
Well they didn't issue this ruler to me for nothing, did they?
AT26109_1.jpg

All Texans, really.

There are some good aspects to Texas. I think they have a great sense of community and you definitely feel like you are a part of something. Strong values based on the judeo christian system, and you do get some honestly good people. However, I do see a lot of arrogance also, sometimes I think they would rather secede from the union. Especially when the Dems are in power. And yeah the dick measuring is kind of funny, I noticed the shorter the guy the bigger the truck.

There are some good aspects to Texas. I think they have a great sense of community and you definitely feel like you are a part of something. Strong values based on the judeo christian system, and you do get some honestly good people. However, I do see a lot of arrogance also, sometimes I think they would rather secede from the union. Especially when the Dems are in power. And yeah the dick measuring is kind of funny, I noticed the shorter the guy the bigger the truck.

I can confirm that's not unique to Texas.

For a some people it isn't about how much you get, it's about how much you get in comparison to others, it's a kind of scoreboard.

The same guy who wants to beat LSU by 35 wants to beat Les Miles by $3.5 million a year.

If I'm Nick Saban, I feel like I'm underpaid if any college football coach makes more than I do.

Exactly. Just like with professional athletes, it's not about what pay you can live off comfortably, it's relative. Keeping up with the Joneses. And as outgoing Texas AD DeLoss Dodds said of his school, "We are the Joneses." So this $10 mil speculation we've been hearing is very appropriate.

Back