What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Johnson, Voice of the Buffs

Love MJ. I want someone who gets into the wins and you can hear the heartbreak when we lose. Loved Zim but he was not good in his last days in the booth. Great guy with a huge Buff heart but it was more than time to move on from him.

No need to nit-pick ya'll. The dude knows how to call a game, cares about the players, loves the buffs, and clearly loves his job. Super glad to have this dude on our side. His passion is infectious and any naysayers about the tiniest of **** can shut the **** up. Period.

It's kind of our thing, though.

Funny-monkey-flea-picking.jpg

I've gotten used to him. I just have too many memories tied to Zim (both Buffaloes and Broncos) for him to ever be displaced.

I do get frustrated with MJ getting really excited calling a play, only to have him end it with "for a 3 yard gain." Wait, what? The emotion needs to match the play.

He dials the emotion to 11 on touchdowns, and that's ok. But 2.5 yard gains on 2nd and 10 should be about a 1 or 2, not a 7.

My son's first CU basketball game was vs UConn in Des Moines. We walked behind Wells Fargo Arena to watch the team get off the bus, about 20 feet away. We we're the only people there, when he got off the bus he came directly over to us and high fived my son and shook my hand and asked us if we were excited. He was the only one to come over and he chatted with us for a solid 5-10 minutes. The guy is pure class and a huge Buffs fan and an even better person. I'm glad he's on our team!

I've gotten used to him. I just have too many memories tied to Zim (both Buffaloes and Broncos) for him to ever be displaced.

I do get frustrated with MJ getting really excited calling a play, only to have him end it with "for a 3 yard gain." Wait, what? The emotion needs to match the play.

He dials the emotion to 11 on touchdowns, and that's ok. But 2.5 yard gains on 2nd and 10 should be about a 1 or 2, not a 7.

I always remember Zim doing the same thing. From his excitement you would envision the guy running downfield with only one man to beat when in reality it was a 6 yard gain.

At least under recent MikeMac teams those plays get at least 3 yards. So many CU teams and coaches before had huge MJ play buildups and poor MJ would have to say maybe a yard or no gain. That was brutal.

he waits until the last possible moment to tell you if a play gained 3 yards or 30.

this. it's funny because he'll be really excited and describing a player cutting left and dragging tacklers. A gain of 1, 2nd and 9 coming up...

Don’t like him. He will be spouting his word salad of a call while the crowd cheers and I’m wondering WTF is happening.

i liked Zimmer but he forget to clue in the radio listener......the down and distance a lot in his later years. you have to give the radio listener that, at minimum.

mj is ok.....a little over the top homer.....

I had to listen on the radio for most of the game yesterday and it was horrible.
It was hard to tell if it was a positive play or not most times and he is way behind
the play on the field you hear the crowd first. Barnett is awesome as a color guy.

Back