What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB Jackson State @ Colorado Game thread

7 players in double figures.

23 assists (compared to 4 against Wyoming)

Really, really dig what X-Talton did today with 13 points and 3 assists. Booker with 15 points 6 assists 5 rebounds.

Over 62% shooting from the field, including 9/17 (53%) from 3.

7 players in double figures.

23 assists (compared to 4 against Wyoming)

Really, really dig what X-Talton did today with 13 points and 3 assists. Booker with 15 points 6 assists 5 rebounds.

Over 62% shooting from the field, including 9/17 (53%) from 3.

Loved XT, but he passed up some wide open looks early on

At the Wyo game, I got thoroughly wanded (I'm a scary looking guy in my mid thirties - not really, re: the scary part). My 60 year old dad was smiled at by the same old guy. No wand, no pat down, no nothing.

It's a joke if they waste the time to wand and pat down sine people, and do nothing to others.

Heard one of the security people say they wand every 3rd person. They wand everyone in the student entrance.

Nice game. This team will be really tough if they can improve in consistency as the season goes on. Once again Tad's crew will be fun to watch and give us some great moments and a good season.

Interesting stat line on King: 11 minutes, 7 rebounds

Regardless of the speed of his development the next few years, he strikes me as someone who is always going to be one of the biggest hustle guys on the team. Since it is clear he isn't redshirting I will be interested to see how the other pieces of his game fall into place. Really excited for what he could become for us.

Interesting stat line on King: 11 minutes, 7 rebounds

With this freshman five, it's a nice mix of guys who all play different roles.

Gordon is going to control the paint.
Dustin is going to be scoring from everywhere.
Fletch is going to be a wing scorer and versatile defender.
King is going to be the glue guy who makes the hustle plays while guarding 2, 3 & 4.
J-Hop is going to be the floor general and highlight reel playmaker.

I'm feeling good about the future. For this season, it's looking like the Buffs will be playing primarily an 8-man rotation in the big games (Mayor, Ski, XJ, Wes, Jam, XT, J-Hop, Dustin). I like that group. A lot. Hoping for the lightbulb to go on for Fletch & King to give us 10 strong when we need it, but 8 is a very nice number that we're not used to seeing in Boulder.

Nice game overall. There is so much skill on that frontline, we'll cause a ton of mismatches. Scott ended up with a nice line, but the bulk of it came in transition. The guards need to do a better job of getting him the ball in the post. And J-Hop is going to be a lot of fun to watch develop with his athleticism.

We're already seeing the benefits of the newfound depth too. When Jackson State went to a full-court press in the second half, Tad countered with a lineup of Mayor, Ski, XT, J-Hop and Scott, and they broke it fairly easily. That lineup versatility will pay huge dividends this year. Now if Hopkins can just hit his FT's...

2 thots: One, in the highlights, Ski seems to be more square when shooting. I kept thinking during the bailer game that he seemed to be leaning to one side or the other (sometimes it looked like his momentum carried him a bit). Two, Talton has a really nice release when he takes the outside jumpers. Methinks he's worked a bunch on his shooting.

so loved the game but still saw some room for improvement.

1 - King is way out of control on offense. I believe he got two charges that were beyond blatant. The game may be moving a bit fast for him
2 - Talton needs more confidence in his outside shot. He passed up some wide open looks in the first half. He could have finished with more than 20
3 - JHop is crazy athletic but gambles quite a bit on defense. This is something I am thinking Tad will adjust later in the season

Some random observations. Jackson State took some super dumb fouls. I know they were overmatched, but don't take a stupid foul (I'm talking to you #13 and #22) with 12 or so minutes left in the second half on a breakaway and you are in a bad position to do anything except foul the player. They just did some really dumb things to hurt themselves that shows they lacked situational awareness.

Anyone else really like the offense. Super excited to see jg's shot chart this week, but it seems like it was all layups and 3 pointers.

Jelly and Spencer are both having bad luck to start the season because neither can buy a layup right now.

We better get better at free throws because we are going to lose a road game or two if we don't improve.

I'm fine with Hopkins taking risks with how athletic he is, granted I didn't get too see much of the game today.

One of them was from ralphie's head 7 feet behind the line

Exactly. One. I wasn't sure about the 30 footers raining in comment that DBT said Mark Johnson made. It sounded like it was being over hyped on the radio vs. what I was watching on TV.

Thanks for sharing your shot charts. Those are interesting to look at.

Last edited:
so loved the game but still saw some room for improvement.

1 - King is way out of control on offense. I believe he got two charges that were beyond blatant. The game may be moving a bit fast for him
2 - Talton needs more confidence in his outside shot. He passed up some wide open looks in the first half. He could have finished with more than 20
3 - JHop is crazy athletic but gambles quite a bit on defense. This is something I am thinking Tad will adjust later in the season

Some random observations. Jackson State took some super dumb fouls. I know they were overmatched, but don't take a stupid foul (I'm talking to you #13 and #22) with 12 or so minutes left in the second half on a breakaway and you are in a bad position to do anything except foul the player. They just did some really dumb things to hurt themselves that shows they lacked situational awareness.

Anyone else really like the offense. Super excited to see jg's shot chart this week, but it seems like it was all layups and 3 pointers.

Jelly and Spencer are both having bad luck to start the season because neither can buy a layup right now.

We better get better at free throws because we are going to lose a road game or two if we don't improve.

This is a good thing!

Well he took about 3 gambles and missed on all of them.

Completely understood, but he's also a freshman playing his 4th college game. Defense is something freshman usually struggle with, with more time he will get better and better and gain better anticipation of where passes are going to be and that is where his risk taking will pay off IMO

Attendance: 9,042

That's solid for Jackson State at 10 AM. A sign of the times...hungry for a winner (and bacon).

The gambling/leaving the shooters thing is interesting to me - because we've never really had this problem before and we've done it a lot this year. While Hopkins has been the worst, Talton has also struggled with losing his man on the perimeter and giving up a 3. Even Dinwiddie and Booker have been slow to close out a couple of times and given up 3's. If it was just the freshman I'd get it, it's their first few games, growing pains all of that. But it's not just the frosh, it's really been everybody.

so here's my theory - I'm trying it on for size and not convinced there's really something to it. But could this be a Dre effect? Did guys like Talton, Ski and Dinwiddie have so much faith in him not only shutting down his own guy but also helping out on anybody else that drove the lane or needed help-side defense that he'd there that they could just worry about their man? That now that Dre's not here, the perimeter guys feel like they need to help in the post or on a guy penetrating because they don't have faith in the overall team defense?

Feel free to call BS - but that's where my head is right now

Attendance: 9,042

That's solid for Jackson State at 10 AM. A sign of the times...hungry for a winner (and bacon).

and there were that many there - many were late to show (i was one, parking was a mess) but the turnout was great (and the bacon wasn't bad)

The gambling/leaving the shooters thing is interesting to me - because we've never really had this problem before and we've done it a lot this year. While Hopkins has been the worst, Talton has also struggled with losing his man on the perimeter and giving up a 3. Even Dinwiddie and Booker have been slow to close out a couple of times and given up 3's. If it was just the freshman I'd get it, it's their first few games, growing pains all of that. But it's not just the frosh, it's really been everybody.

so here's my theory - I'm trying it on for size and not convinced there's really something to it. But could this be a Dre effect? Did guys like Talton, Ski and Dinwiddie have so much faith in him not only shutting down his own guy but also helping out on anybody else that drove the lane or needed help-side defense that he'd there that they could just worry about their man? That now that Dre's not here, the perimeter guys feel like they need to help in the post or on a guy penetrating because they don't have faith in the overall team defense?

Clearly something is different this year, and that seems to be the most plausible explanation.

Hope we get it fixed before it starts to inevitably kill us on the road in conference play

Tad kind of addressed this subject in his after game comments yesterday. His angle was that it had to do with the way fouls are being called. The defender not being able to get their hands on the offensive player they are not playing as tight to avoid fouls. Tad said that we should get better looks at 3 on our end for the same reason.

Now I realize that has nothing to do with losing your man and not being in the same zip-code when he shoots but thought it worth mentioning.

The most important note from the game was Jackson State's Team Mom. Athletic trainer/team doctor/watermom.

The most important note from the game was Jackson State's Team Mom. Athletic trainer/team doctor/watermom.

The re-introduction of that 80's hip-hop hi-top fade hair style by Javeres Brent is also noteworthy.

hi-top+1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
His hair looked more like a martini glass to me. Funny how he was raining "3's" until we put Spencer on him. I don't think he scored another point after that.

Took my Dad to his first basketball game since his college days yesterday.

We went from shooting ~22% from deep to shooting 30.6% (#205 in the country so still not good but improving) after this game

Back