What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Kiper's Buff Predictions - ESPN Dallas Radio

Your right, you wont see that evidence either until its time to play. This year should tell what we need to know.

Everyone seems to be missing the point here. The question was "who is your surprise team?" If everyone agreed that CU would win 8 games, it wouldn't really be a surprise, now would it?

Everyone seems to be missing the point here. The question was "who is your surprise team?" If everyone agreed that CU would win 8 games, it wouldn't really be a surprise, now would it?

Excellent point. I would certainly be surprised if we won 8 games.

The writing is on the wall: CU will have a mediocre, but not terrible, season and Hawkins will be retained, and perhaps extended, to the massive detriment of the program.

I doubt Hawk will be here if he has another bad season. If Im wrong on that, then something is ****ed up in Boulder.

great so now the Kiper predicted 8 wins, we either hit 10 or 5 and knowing Hakins I would pick the under.

The writing is on the wall: CU will have a mediocre, but not terrible, season and Hawkins will be retained, and perhaps extended, to the massive detriment of the program.

I sure hope you're wrong.

Everything I'm hearing is that Bohn's position is that 7-5 probably doesn't earn another year. He needs momentum heading into the Pac-12 and to support the booster membership drive in California.

I'm actually starting to think that 4-0 in the non-conference is almost essential for Hawkins. CSU is needed for perception and recruiting within the state. Cal is needed for our California alumni and the 10,000+ fans it looks like we're bringing to that game. Hawaii is needed because it would be a really bad looking loss. And Georgia is needed because it's the National Championship Anniversary weekend with all the ex-Buffs and boosters in attendance.

He can probably get away with 3-1 if the team looks good doing it (and the 1 isn't CSU). 2-2 starts getting really sketchy for him. He'd probably have to win the North if he starts the season with that. 1-3 or 0-4 and I could see Cabral as the interim HC for the Big 12 schedule.

Anybody that wants Hawkins gone should be all-aboard having Kiper, Steele, and anyone else in the media making predictions like this. It only adds to the pressure and raises expectations.

If everyone in the known world predicted we would only win 3 and then we go on to 5-7 season, then Hawkins and Co. could say that they exceeded expectations and the administration would have no evidence to deny that.

The talent is there on the roster, and I hope more talking heads start to "jump on the bandwagon" of CU as a "bowl team", because then IF (and when) Hawkins can't lead us past 6 wins then it is a disappointment and even the admin will have to agree.

If we place 6 guys in the NFL draft with 3 or 4 in the first 3 rounds while simultaneously losing 2 or more games than is generally predicted then even an objective "Hawkins" supporter would have to agree it is time to cut bait.

We got three wins with pretty much the exact same talent last year. We had a stable of four running backs and a massive offensive line and couldn't get more than 2.5 YPC. We gave up over 50 points to TOLEDO. We got bitch-slapped on our home field by a CSU team that couldn't even beat UNLV or San Diego State. We were two plays away from being 1-10. We were flat-out pathetic last year. We lost our best assistant coach in the offseason. We're horribly thin at RB and DB. Our WR corps consists of Scotty and a bunch of guys who have never played a down of football at CU.

AND DAN HAWKINS REMAINS THE HEAD COACH.

All reasons to suspect this team is headed for another entirely mediocre if not piss-poor season. You can spin it any way you want to. It's easy to look at this team and say all the things you just said. In the end, I've seen no evidence that this staff has what it takes to carve 8 wins out of this season.

This... I don't see the talent to get 8 wins. The OL has Nate Solder and Ryan Miller... and still has been abysmal in run and pass blocking... it's the same group back for a third season... maybe something will click, but who knows. QB play, even with Hansen, is going to be average at best, but at least Hansen can make something with his feet since its likely he will be running for his life like much of last year. The running game consists of Speedy (he's a solid back), an injury prone guy who is by no means a home run hitter, and who probably can't be a 20+ carry a game guy. All the other guys from last years backfield except Lockridge are gone. Who's the backup there? With an injury to Speedy the running game goes away. The WR corps... Scotty is a proven player but you know what you get, a dependable receiver but not a gamebreaker... and that's it. People are excited about Clemons and Patterson. Clemons has 106 career receiving yards, none at CU, and Patterson, in his time at USC, has less than 100 career receiving yards... are those guys going to be difference makers? Who knows... Clemons I think so, but Patterson hasn't done anything up to this point in his career to think he is going to suddenly be great. Same with the TEs... Deehan is the guy, he had 10 catches for 91 yards last year... I'm still not seeing the talent on the offensive side.

With defense, you get average DL play, not great, not bad, just average... and Kasa hasn't even been able to step up and take a starting spot yet. Hopefully he turns the corner this year. The LB's look to have talent, but its unproven, and if the DL gets pushed around it will make life tough on them. CU has two excellent starting corners... if one goes down, it gets rough after that. CU also gets decent safety play.

Special teams have been a joke for the past two years.

Last year CU won three games, they beat a 7-6 Wyoming team, and they needed great 4th quarter efforts to be a 5-7 Kansas team and a 6-7 Texas A&M, two games which could have easily been losses. Don't get me started on CSU, Toledo, Missouri... hell, the Buffs even lost a very winnable game to a very average Okie State team playing without Zac Robinson (their replacement was absolutely horrible). It's just frustrating to me that Hawkins is still around, and that people on here claims this team has lots of talent. The schedule this season sets up pretty easily... CSU, ISU, KSU, Baylor, Hawaii, Kansas (minus all of their guys who made them decent the past few year). That should be six cakewalk games right there. If this team can't go 6-0 through that a change needs to be made... and if they can't get past that portion of the schedule 6-0, then the talent that everyone seems to think exists might not really be there.

I'm actually starting to think that 4-0 in the non-conference is almost essential for Hawkins.

not gonna happen. 3-1 would be super-awesomely great and not impossible (one hopes). i'm going with 2-2. i get your various reasoning, but....4-0 isn't going to happen IMO. i think the real pressure is, to rewrite the OOC argument a bit.....the 3/4 games CU gets at home with the one roadie to Missouri. UGA, @MU, BU, Tech.

without any reason to do otherwise, i pencil in a L to MU. the 3 home games....anything less than 2-1 there and it's buh-bye season unless you backdoor into 6 wins and the Tom's Hot Fries Bowl (tm).

you have to put yourself in position to sweep ISU and KSU at home in November and have it mean something.

i think if he wins 7 he's back. but, that's just me.

I don't get the Kiper bashing other than he is kind of a caricature of the douchey draft geek. But the guy knows his stuff. Why turn to bashing him because he happens to give the Buffs some love? Some of you don't seem to even WANT to hear anything positive about the Buffs. "Hey, Mel Kiper said Colorado will be a surprise team." "Well, Kiper is an idot!!" :rofl: You guys crack me up!

I don't get the Kiper bashing other than he is kind of a caricature of the douchey draft geek. But the guy knows his stuff. Why turn to bashing him because he happens to give the Buffs some love? Some of you don't seem to even WANT to hear anything positive about the Buffs. "Hey, Mel Kiper said Colorado will be a surprise team." "Well, Kiper is an idot!!" :rofl: You guys crack me up!

DBT. Don't you understand? We've all bought into the hype in prior years and our hearts have been broken. Doesn't it seem reasonable to you that maybe we're a bit gun shy where positive predictions are concerned?

Everybody here wants the Buffs to win. But predictions are just predictions, but they hurt when you believe them and are disappointed. It's a lot more satisfying to be skeptical and proven wrong. Most folks here have been burned. You can't really blame them for not wanting to get too excited about some dude's predictions. Predictions don't count for anything. At this point, we're past that stuff--we just want wins.

Kiper is an NFL Draft guy. Since when is he an authority on NCAAF predictions?

Cause generally, the more NFL potential you have on your team, the better off you do. I know it doesn't always work out that way..... but.....

Last edited:
DBT. Don't you understand? We've all bought into the hype in prior years and our hearts have been broken. Doesn't it seem reasonable to you that maybe we're a bit gun shy where positive predictions are concerned?

Everybody here wants the Buffs to win. But predictions are just predictions, but they hurt when you believe them and are disappointed. It's a lot more satisfying to be skeptical and proven wrong. Most folks here have been burned. You can't really blame them for not wanting to get too excited about some dude's predictions. Predictions don't count for anything. At this point, we're past that stuff--we just want wins.

I guess I just don't buy into that mentality, but I do understand, for sure.

Last year I predicted 8 wins and we got 3. So this year I predict we get 19 wins.

Not to pat myself on the back but I made the case for 8 wins in a thread in December.

Yeah, but everybody knows you're a sunshine pumper... :smile2:

Kiper always makes his CFB predictions based upon how many pro prospects he thinks the program has.

I think we win 8 this year, and shock the world once or twice (Georgia and Oklahoma, I'm looking at you)

Exactly. Kiper is looking at the players and how he's got them rated on his draft board. If there is something keeping the players from winning to the degree their talent says they should (like, maybe, coaching), he's probably going to miss it.

orado!!!! :gobuffs:

Back