1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike MacIntyre: Does He Make It Through 2016?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DiggerBuffs, May 19, 2016.

?

How long will Mike MacIntyre last?

1. 1 game: Loss to CSU and Rick George says **** it, time to make a statement!

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. 2- games: Buffs lose to CSU and a D-IAA program? Gone

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. 3-4 games: Michigan and Oregon are certain losses, but if they get embarrassed?!

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. 5-6 games: Buffs sitting at 2-3 or 2-4 may spark this.

14 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. 7-8 games: I have Buffs at 3-5 after 8. Does needing to go 3-1 in last 4 make George.

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. 9-10 games: Buffs are not bowl eligible in this timeframe and makes it easy

24 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. 11-12 games: Two winnable home games and if Buffs are 4-6 going into them, he HAS to win both.

37 vote(s)
    21.0%
  8. 2017 Extension: Buffs make a bowl and continue to show improvement.

86 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. DiggerBuffs

DiggerBuffs Well-Known Member

I have stood behind Mike MacIntyre and felt he was a solid hire when Butch Jones spurned the Buffs, but the simple fact is he is on one of the hottest seats in college football.

He came to CU and immediately made multiple mistakes we are seeing prevalent today and I have seen discussed at great lengths. The biggest being his loyalty to his WAC/MWC staff for a Power 5 program and a strength coach not suited for it either. His best recruiters in order are: Chev, Leavitt, Tumpkin, Adams, Hagan and then Bernardi, Jeffcoat and Lindgren have all been failures.

2-25 in Pac 12 play and a 10-27 overall record is a clear indicator that MacIntyre didn't have all things in place. The program was at it's lowest, but he did it no service with waiting too long to cut bait with some coaches and not bringing in a better staff from Day 1. Rick George is at his wit's end I am sure and probably has a very short leash.

2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I think there is a good chance that if he loses to CSU that RG could make a move. He knows the alumni are growing restless, a loss to the lambs would be catastrophic.

A loss to D1-AA Idaho is also a danger game for HCMM.

As far as getting embarrassed on the road at Michigan and Oregon, I don't think that will impact things one way or the other. If we are going to go anywhere and get beat handily it is going to be Ann Arbor or Eugene.

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I'll say it again- there's no way he could have assembled this staff in 2013. He did the best he could and has made improvements where and when he could. The hole he was faced with was too deep to expect a three or four year turnaround.

That said, lose to CSU and he's toast.

DBT likes this.
  4. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Wow, what an original thread idea!

Burrito Palazzo and absinthe like this.
  5. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Something bad happened...this was inevitable. Next time something good happens we'll be asking whether Mac had anything to do with it. Rinse and repeat.

Gary Indiana likes this.
  6. DiggerBuffs

I am not faulting him for not having this staff, but I look at McElwain, he knew he needed better coaches to compete at Florida and got them. MacIntyre did not seem to attempt this.

Bufffan68 likes this.
  7. Back-the-Buffs

Back-the-Buffs Active Member

A loss to CSU won't mean an immediate firing of MM but after they lose to Michigan and Oregon and they sit at 1-3 that will be it for him. Rick George will lose what little patients he has left and Leavitt will take over. If they beat CSU and I believe they will then that could buy MM a few more games. Either way the end result will be the same. A new coach will be pacing the sidelines in Boulder come fall 2017. The real question is who? That is the thread we need!

8. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

0% chance he's fired if we lose to CSU week 1.

Big Jim likes this.
  9. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Lose to CSU or Idaho and he should be gone immediately. Give Leavitt plenty of time to show what he's got.

I've been a big MikeMac supporter, and I want him to succeed, but he should be on very, very thin ice.

DiggerBuffs likes this.
  10. TDforTD

TDforTD Club Member Club Member

Didn't CSU lose basically their entire defense? I think the only way we lose to them is if he loses the lockerroom. That won't happen by week 1, especially if the guys are rallying around Sefo.

I could see a Michigan blowout followed by some pac12 failures being the end, the guys will stop buying what he's selling. But I'm not worried about CSU/Idaho St, even with the QB situation not quite figured out yet.

11. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

Win vs Idaho and losses to CSU, Michigan and Oregon should have him fired but might take a home loss to OSU in game 5. RG needs to pull the trigger if it looks like we are going to have another 1 Pac win season.

12. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Correct. Mac is the coach until we are eliminated from bowl eligibility, then all bets are off. At that point is prefer we move quickly to get a coach we want early in the process

If Mac gets this team to a bowl, he will and should continue to be the HC.

BuffPride88 likes this.
  13. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

RG will let MikMac go when bowl eligibility is no longer a possibility. So, MikMac makes it to game 10, most likely, unless CU drops trow v. CSU or Oregon St. Lose either or both and you can move the timetable up a week or two.

Big Jim likes this.
  14. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

That's what we said 2 years ago. "CSU graduated 4/5 OL and their Front 7, we're going to roll them...."

c502cid and Big Jim like this.
  15. leftybuff

fify.

BuffPride88 and sliderNcider like this.
  16. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

90% of us said that.

17. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

What we dont know is the back story or the relationship MM and RG share. RG strikes me as very patient and he does not seem to have yet lost confidence in MM. Given that he didnt hire MM, MM should be on a short leash. At the same because George didnt fire him at the end of last year says season when he could have says to me that RG has confidence in him.

The signs are there that things at CU are getting better albeit slower than we'd all like; MM has been able attract good assistants. The program is upgrading its talent level thru those changes.

Thus, I think if MM continues to make changes to the staff that are upgrades and he articulates those decisions to his boss in a way that satisfies the matter for George he will probably survive. Given George's background in recruiting (1983-1990, Illinois, Colorado) he's likely satisfied with what he's seeing. I dont think RG will make a judgement based solely on wins or losses. Though we dont know that until we see some games this fall and a complete implosion changes the calculus.

Otherwise, If MM is able to win 4 or more he's likely safe. Sefo becoming reinjured may affect things as well because we dont know what Montez is capable of but we do know hes green. Gerhke and Awini are not promising options. Apsay was dismissed for discipline reasons of some kind-not the coaches fault.

18. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Are you honestly comparing the situation at Florida in 2015 to the situation at CU in 2013?

19. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

This.

20. DiggerBuffs

You had me until the winning 4 or more and he's safe. 5 is the bare bone minimum and in my opinion the Buffs are in a bowl game or bust mentality. Anything less will result in a change. And George's patience isn't that great: He chose to get rid of volleyball coach, women's basketball coach and football is next without a bowl.

21. Sykobuff

Sykobuff Club Member Club Member

You had me until the 4 or more wins. It's year four, if he can't get his team to 6 wins he needs to go. Everybody it seems makes a bowl game, asking for a mediocre 6-6 season isn't much.

Big Jim likes this.
  22. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

I chose my words poorly. I could see how he might survive with 4 wins or more. But I'll agree that it's highly unlikely. This is CU were talking about. Not some smart program like Texas Baylor or Michigan. They pay $400k for a logo rebranding that looks exactly the same.

DiggerBuffs and CUFan like this.
  23. DiggerBuffs

NOT AT ALL, but college football has no loyalty and you have to choose to say good bye to friends at times before you get canned. MacIntyre should have taken this into consideration Day 1. It took him too long to get there is my point.

24. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Very few programs have ever dug themselves out of the hole we were in for a sustained time. He took over a program with Shane Dillon annoited as the QB savior (remember Shane being the face of the program when HCMM was hired)?

This program is in much better shape than 3 or 5 years ago when we were the laughing stock. Ask UCLA if we are more competitive now than 4 years ago. As much as people want to bitch about our original staff or recruiting then, we were at the bottom with a team of guys who didn't really care.

He's done a job that few others have done to get us from embarrassing to mediocre. Lets just judge him on how this program improves. If it fails to take the steps forward that it's done each year, fire him.

c502cid and MiamiBuffs like this.
  25. leftybuff

92.5% Under MikMac, CU has lost 92.5% of it's P12 games. Doesn't that say it all?

I cannot believe he survived last year.

26. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

No. Not when we were losing them by 50 points and now we are losing close games and the opponent plays it's starters the whole game. Peel the onion.

c502cid and Tatanka™ like this.
  27. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

You consider last year a step forward compared to 2014?

28. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

Opinions vary. Let's start another thread and put up another poll.

BuffPride88 and Sykobuff like this.
  29. darth-horax

darth-horax Well-Known Member

he gets the entire year...if nothing else for stability. Can't lose the faith of the recently recruited.
    It's not entirely his fault we have freakin' Jordan Gehrke listed as #1 on the depth chart right now.
    Is he culpable? Sure. all his fault? No.

This is his make or break season.

BUffsNation likes this.
  30. DiggerBuffs