What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre legacy

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
Other threads discussing how much longer he will be at CU but certainly worth looking at his legacy here assuming that he isn't the coach at CU in the future.

So far of course nobody can touch McCartney's legacy. A national championship, multiple top 10 finishes, national award winners, the apex of Colorado football.

Nueheisal - Had some highly ranked teams but damaged the brand by leaving ugly. Also left the program in much worse shape than he found it by failing to recruit big guys. Not fondly remembered in part due to slimy personality.

Barnett - Old style football coach. Took the remains of Slick Ricks program and built it back into a ranked program and conference power. Fell victim to things beyond his control in the "scandal" and his lack of PR skills led him to adding to the problem. Once the administration showed it wasn't going to support him he seemed to give up

Hawkins - D2 Danny We thought we had gotten the prize in the coaching battles coming off his success at Boise. Turned out like he was to be a sham. Will always be known for putting his son's records ahead of team success. Will also be known for his clichés like "It ain't intermurals brother" and "Get your horns out." By the time he was fired following an utter collapse at Kansas (Kansas?) any semblance of a quality program was gone. We were a complete train wreck with lousy attitudes and almost no P5 talent.

Embree - Will always be a Buff, loves the program but not equipped to handle the situation he was given. Hired because of his CU connections and he was cheap. Had no HC experience or even coordinator experience, neither did his coordinators. Spectacular profanity laced meltdowns as we became maybe the worst team in the BCS. Left a bad taste when Bohn put him in front of the media on the day he was fired from his dream job and he implied racism in the decision. Actually did recruit some quality players but not near enough.

MacIntyre

In the long term I think his legacy will be a positive one. He took us from being a pathetic excuse to being a representative team. He just didn't have enough to continue the progress and make us an actual winner. Has improved the level of recruiting, run a clean program that graduates student-athletes, been good with the boosters. Just doesn't have that edge that makes a good team a winner.

Last edited:
I am disappointed with the way this season has turned out, not just because of the losses (which have been excruciating) but also because I like MM and the last 5 games should spell his demise.

I believe had Levitt not left, in addition to losing 9 starters on D and the mess with Tumpkin, things would be different now. The blame, however, should always fall on HC shoulders which is most likely also indicative of Levitt leaving. Adams sucks too. . . why he was promoted is beyond me.

I agree with Mtn's observations of MM...positive coach who pulled us out of the Enbree sh!thole and had players interests in mind, but not a consistent winner.

I think the reason all of us like MacIntyre is what, unfortunately, will be the reason he leaves. I truly believe he was a good person with good values. One of those values was obviously being overly loyal to the people around him. Whether that be his staff or senior players that did everything he asked of them. Hard to not respect a person for that. No one can make the argument that CU is not in a better place today than when MacIntyre was brought in. I assume he will go on to having a very successful career as a "turnaround artist".

Good guy. Easy to root for. Beat CSU like a drum. Ruined the fuskers opening day. Built the program from absolute dog **** to respectable. Set the table for the next guy to hopefully take it to the next level. Was definitely the right guy at the right time, but probably isn’t the right guy now.

Believe it was the Freeballin' podcast, but they compared Coach Mike MacIntyre and his legacy to that of Coach Jeff Bzdelik. I think that is a pretty spot on comparison and I think he will be viewed in the future in much the same light.

edit: Nik beat me to it.

Other threads discussing how much longer he will be at CU but certainly worth looking at his legacy here assuming that he isn't the coach at CU in the future.

So far of course nobody can touch McCartney's legacy. A national championship, multiple top 10 finishes, national award winners, the apex of Colorado football.

Nueheisal - Had some highly ranked teams but damaged the brand by leaving ugly. Also left the program in much worse shape than he found it by failing to recruit big guys. Not fondly remembered in part due to slimy personality.

Barnett - Old style football coach. Took the remains of Slick Ricks program and built it back into a ranked program and conference power. Fell victim to things beyond his control in the "scandal" and his lack of PR skills led him to adding to the problem. Once the administration showed it wasn't going to support him he seemed to give up

Hawkins - D2 Danny We thought we had gotten the prize in the coaching battles coming off his success at Boise. Turned out like he was to be a sham. Will always be known for putting his son's records ahead of team success. Will also be known for his clichés like "It ain't intermurals brother" and "Get your horns out." By the time he was fired following an utter collapse at Kansas (Kansas?) any semblance of a quality program was gone. We were a complete train wreck with lousy attitudes and almost no P5 talent.

Embree - Will always be a Buff, loves the program but not equipped to handle the situation he was given. Hired because of his CU connections and he was cheap. Had no HC experience or even coordinator experience, neither did his coordinators. Spectacular profanity laced meltdowns as we became maybe the worst team in the BCS. Left a bad taste when Bohn put him in front of the media on the day he was fired from his dream job and he implied racism in the decision. Actually did recruit some quality players but not near enough.

MacIntyre

In the long term I think his legacy will be a positive one. He took us from being a pathetic excuse to being a representative team. He just didn't have enough to continue the progress and make us an actual winner. Has improved the level of recruiting, run a clean program that graduates student-athletes, been good with the boosters. Just doesn't have that edge that makes a good team a winner.

Like how you've put the legacy in perspective with previous coaching regimes.

I think a synopsis of the Fairbanks era is appropriate here, too. '79 - '82 (?). Hiring the "shiny object" without seeing what was behind it turned out bad. Success at Oklahoma -- leaving with recruiting violations, the NFL (Patriots), boosters (Flatirons Club?) pay huge buyout, and then **** happens. 7-26 record here. His 'culture' was very wrong for us.

The similarities between Miles and Fairbanks are pretty weak. Sure, it’s a big name, but after that, the two are not much alike, IMO.

The similarities between Miles and Fairbanks are pretty weak. Sure, it’s a big name, but after that, the two are not much alike, IMO.

If you were thinking that I was attempting to compare the two, then you mis-read. I was following up on the OP. And no where is Miles mentioned or implied.

Since you brought him up, one big dis-similarity, Miles had been involved here and under McCartney. The OP mentions McCartney's legacy.

Last edited:
In my work I see it all the time: CEOs who are right for a company at stage x are not right for a company at stage y.

But they might be the best thing that ever happened to the company at stage x.

There aren't a lot of coaches that can coach a team to be a consistent "ranked more often than not" level.

There are even fewer coaches who can rebuild a dumpster fire of a football program.

There are almost no coaches that can do both (and we were lucky to have one of them on our sidelines for a time).

MM can't do both. So what? The few that can are legends.

What he can do is something most coaches who have teams ranked in the top 25 right now can't do: turn a dumpster fire into a respectable team.

MikMac built a much more fundamentally sound team than was here when he got here. He did not build it into a consistent P12 competitor. Save 2016, they have not been competitive. He did a good job in bringing CU to striking distance...someone else will have to take CU the rest of the way.

Yes to all of the above. It will be a generally positive legacy if he goes this year.

I would also point out that he showed just how important a broad based background at the power five level is to finding assistants and recruiting. Those were his Achilles heal in my opinion. I really never felt good about any of his assistants or the process in hiring them.

MacIntyre

He will likely win one more conference game in year 6 than year 1.

He is a good man. But 1, 0, 1, 8, 2, 2? is grounds for dismissal, at CU or anywhere else.

In my work I see it all the time: CEOs who are right for a company at stage x are not right for a company at stage y.

But they might be the best thing that ever happened to the company at stage x.

There aren't a lot of coaches that can coach a team to be a consistent "ranked more often than not" level.

There are even fewer coaches who can rebuild a dumpster fire of a football program.

There are almost no coaches that can do both (and we were lucky to have one of them on our sidelines for a time).

MM can't do both. So what? The few that can are legends.

What he can do is something most coaches who have teams ranked in the top 25 right now can't do: turn a dumpster fire into a respectable team.
Best post on the topic.

He will likely win one more conference game in year 6 than year 1.

He is a good man. But 1, 0, 1, 8, 2, 2? is grounds for dismissal, at CU or anywhere else.

No question that his results don't justify another year. College football is a results oriented business (yes it is a business) and MM has not had the results and has not shown indications that he will get those results.

We can still respect him for who he is and we can appreciate the positive changes he has made in the program without feeling bad about him losing his job due to lack of wins.

He's undefeated against the Fuskers. I won't forget that.
So was Embree. Seriously, though, of all the coaches who coached against Nebraska, MacIntyre was the only one not to lose to Nebraska. Sonny "Slushfund" Grandelius was 2-1, so that's next up. Dal Ward was 6-3-1, back before Nebraska hired Devaney. The rest didn't do so well. Dave Cropp (1903-1904) was 1-1.
Cabral 0-1.
Hawkins 1-3.
Barnett 3-4.
Neuheisel 0-4.
McCartney 3-9-1.
Fairbanks 0-3.
Mallory 0-5.
Crowder 1-10.
Davis 0-1.

Last edited:
Back