What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Naming rights for CSU's new stadium - ideas?

So who breaks ground first, us or them?

If they make it contingent on having a reasonable amount of the cost already funded we will go first.

My concern about CU's groundbreaking is that we don't keep putting it off till people lose interest and that when we do it our projects are worth the wait. I don't want to see all this time be for something like CSU did in their last Hughes "Projects." with bushes and pavement and a couple port-a-potties.

That's actually really impressive growth in the last few years.

They've added a few franchises in the last few years, due to popularity/profitability. 16/19 franchises opened their own soccer-specific stadiums.

Seattle averages 42k in attendance this year. I guarantee they will outdraw CU one of these saturdays coming up. Pretty amazing stuff.

Amazing - all their suckyness and they get a new stadium built. CU can not even up date the nasty ass embarrassing bathrooms in a dilapidated building with no indoor practice facility... name it We are Colorado's state college team at willing to try and make the program viable stadium in spend money to make money athletic park

$125MM is the number. Key quote

He said in his announcement that if the university has not identified a viable financing plan for the new stadium within two years, it will have to suspend the efforts and instead make investments in the existing Hughes Stadium to ensure it remains a viable option for Colorado State football.

Read more:New Colorado State stadium gets OK; needs $125 million in fundraising - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...state-stadium-gets-ok-needs-125#ixzz285BYNGQW
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

yup. aint happening.
But, but, but, ................ 'gasm assured us - ASSURED US I TELL YOU - that ground would be breaking this year. And now they're telling me that they won't even start until they raise $125 million --- that they haven't even STARTED raising said funds? WOW!!! The disappointment is ripe.

But, but, but, ................ 'gasm assured us - ASSURED US I TELL YOU - that ground would be breaking this year. And now they're telling me that they won't even start until they raise $125 million --- that they haven't even STARTED raising said funds? WOW!!! The disappointment is ripe.

How long can it take Cap'n Jack to scratch out a check for $125,000,000?? I thought Jackie boy was making up any shortfall, so why not just write the check and get underway???

and this is why CU hasn't really gone to the media re: Folsom Field improvements/expansion-

Colorado State looks like the amateurs that they are with todays' announcement.
They sound like the 7 year old who goes to see Santa at the mall with a five page wish list of toys that he will never get.

Wine tasting.

Put that on the same list as the Lady GaGa concert, birthdays and weddings.

$125MM is the number. Key quote

One of the other key quotes to come out of Frank's statement today: "Hughes Stadium is in need of maintenance, $30M over the next decade at a minimum."

I am guessing that $30M figure helped make his decision to move forward much easier. It makes absolutely zero sense to invest that amount of money into Hughes.

Last edited:
This provides them with the perfect out.

They know that they have virtually no chance of collecting $125 million in two years. At the same time the supporters can't say that the proposal was shot down. Now they end up blaming the donors who didn't step up.

Once they shut the new stadium down the $30 million for Hughes may not seem that bad. Either way the admin is off the hook. If the money comes through then they have their down payment, not likely but they can claim that they are protecting the taxpayer. When more likely they fall short the supporters can't blame them for the failure (well they can but they will sound even more irrational than normal.)

One of the other key quotes to come out of Frank's statement today: "Hughes Stadium is in need of maintenance, $30M over the next decade at a minimum."

I am guessing that $30M figure helped make his decision to move forward much easier. It makes absolutely zero sense to invest that amount of money into Hughes.

Sure it does if you guys can't come up with the $125 million. What if you guys only come up with lets say $60 million ? You 'fix up' Hughes, get some new Video Boards and plant some more trees & shrubs
and you are good to go with the 23K average attendence csu has been getting.

I bet they have the money lined up

But the donors don't know that they are donating yet. As soon as McElwain starts winning MWC (skip that MNC) championships donors are going to be falling all over themselves to donate to this project.

Not at all. You guys think im crazy, but I don't think Graham and Frank are dumb enough to go this far down the line without knowing exactly how much they needed and if they had enough pledged to get there. I know that the argument of the day is that they using this as an out - but I don't buy it. They're already invested hundreds of thousands if not millions (old AD's buyout was $880k) into this process.

The stadium will be built and then no one will care that the revenue doesn't meet expectation and the general fund has to be tapped to support the payments.

Not at all. You guys think im crazy, but I don't think Graham and Frank are dumb enough to go this far down the line without knowing exactly how much they needed and if they had enough pledged to get there. I know that the argument of the day is that they using this as an out - but I don't buy it. They're already invested hundreds of thousands if not millions (old AD's buyout was $880k) into this process.

The stadium will be built and then no one will care that the revenue doesn't meet expectation and the general fund has to be tapped to support the payments.

I'm going to disagree with you. I don't think the stadium gets built because $125 million in private donation funding for a school like CSU is astronomical. Even huge football schools rarely see that size of private funding and typically leverage really good revenue streams and debt along with a decent chunk of even up to $50 million in donations. I also don't think they expected the major fight they have had on their hands.

Last edited:

Sorry Csquared, his "decision" today was absolutely not a decision. We already know he would build the stadium with enough in donations. He is still in need of the funding, just as he was yesterday.

So what happens when they raise a much smaller amount of money? Any contingencies to build a more reasonably priced stadium on campus? It's not like schools with more fans have ever build cheaper stadiums than even 1/2 of the lambs' projected cost at any point in the past. Building a 80-100 million dollar stadium is for high schools.

Back