What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Basketball Tournament Selections Sunday (Men's show begins at 4:00 PM MT on CBS and Women's at 6:00 PM MT on ESPN)

In hindsight, the semifinal win against Wazzu was the win of the season IMO. Gave us another quality win and kept us alive for one more day. If we lose to Wazzu in the semis and then Oregon steals a bid, I have a hard time seeing us stay above that cutline.

While it's a bit disappointing that we are in the play-in round, if we deserve to be in the final 64, then we can go out and prove that by winning on Wednesday. All you can ask for is a chance.

I can understand the difficulty of schedule matters, but so does wins over selected teams. CU beat WSU 2 of 3 times, including tournament. And they get a #7 seed? Remember when CU was skipped over after beating KSU 3 times in a row and KSU was a #5 seed at large? Let's be honest. this is not a mathematical decision, and maybe should be. 36 at-large bids are not the problem the problem is the automatic bigs. . some one gets hot in a tournament and goes to the big dance with a losing record?? That's one spot an at-large team should have. Every NCAA tourney has a huge rack of sports articles about who "should" of been picked and who shouldn't. Get a clue NCAA. No more automatic bids.
That will NEVER happen. I'd rather see Fairleigh Dickinson beat Purdue than watch Purdue beat the 10th place Big 12 team.

The system works, but the committee made a number of questionable seeding decisions-Texas A&M and Michigan State to name a couple.

I can understand the difficulty of schedule matters, but so does wins over selected teams. CU beat WSU 2 of 3 times, including tournament. And they get a #7 seed? Remember when CU was skipped over after beating KSU 3 times in a row and KSU was a #5 seed at large? Let's be honest. this is not a mathematical decision, and maybe should be. 36 at-large bids are not the problem the problem is the automatic bigs. . some one gets hot in a tournament and goes to the big dance with a losing record?? That's one spot an at-large team should have. Every NCAA tourney has a huge rack of sports articles about who "should" of been picked and who shouldn't. Get a clue NCAA. No more automatic bids.
Nah. Conference tourneys are awesome.

I do think we've got about 150 more than the number of D1 teams we need, though.

Tell me you hate America without telling me you hate America.

We need less at-large bids if anything. 4 less to be exact.

We need less at-large bids if anything. 4 less to be exact.
I think all the 13-16 seeds should be play-in games to give us an 80-team tournament. Just seed based on where the committee has teams ranked. For example, if a team like this year's Seton Hall is rated by the committee as the 50th best at-large and it makes them the 68th rated team in the final, put them in the #14 play-in game.

I think all the 13-16 seeds should be play-in games to give us an 80-team tournament. Just seed based on where the committee has teams ranked. For example, if a team like this year's Seton Hall is rated by the committee as the 50th best at-large and it makes them the 68th rated team in the final, put them in the #14 play-in game.
**** that. If anything, at large teams should be the only ones doing play ins. If you're an AQ, you get to go to the real dance period.

**** that. If anything, at large teams should be the only ones doing play ins. If you're an AQ, you get to go to the real dance period.
Because UConn beating some Quad 4 by "name their score" is so compelling.

Because UConn beating some Quad 4 by "name their score" is so compelling.
Don't care. It's a reward for a hell of a season. And it makes the actual 16 - 1 upsets that much better.

The tournament is damn near perfect and people keep trying to **** it up just to make more money. Has no one paid attention to the cluster**** that is football? Leave the one good thing the NCAA does alone.

Don't care. It's a reward for a hell of a season. And it makes the actual 16 - 1 upsets that much better.

The tournament is damn near perfect and people keep trying to **** it up just to make more money. Has no one paid attention to the cluster**** that is football? Leave the one good thing the NCAA does alone.
Yeah but:
Pay Me Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Counterpoint: my way gives us more tournament basketball, gets our Buffs in the field more often, and increases basketball revenue so it's more relevant for realignment.

Also - instead of play-ins, it could be more that if you earn a 1-4 seed it means you earned a bye.

Counterpoint: my way gives us more tournament basketball, gets our Buffs in the field more often, and increases basketball revenue so it's more relevant for realignment.

Also - instead of play-ins, it could be more that if you earn a 1-4 seed it means you earned a bye.
This is one of the few things that is actually set up properly in sports (well, without the four play in games). If we want to be in the field more often, we need to start taking hoops more seriously. Otherwise I don't want to see something good ruined just because we can't stop stepping on our dicks.

This is one of the few things that is actually set up properly in sports (well, without the four play in games). If we want to be in the field more often, we need to start taking hoops more seriously. Otherwise I don't want to see something good ruined just because we can't stop stepping on our dicks.
We've also added about 60 D1 teams since the Dance went to 64 in 1985. I think that's like 5 or 6 more auto-bid conferences.

All I know is with all the realignment, changes to the CFP, changes to NIL etc. Itd be nice if one tradition just had a bit of stasis for once.

I think I'm with Goose on this one. It should be a 64-team tournament. It should be exclusive and exciting to be one of the at-large schools chosen. It shouldn't be a given for anybody...i.e. conferences shouldn't expect X amount of bids every year. Teams that are at or below .500 in their own conference shouldn't even be in the conversation, regardless of which conference they play in. If the primary concern is "having more basketball to watch" or getting more money for the NCAA, we should just establish exhibition invitational tournaments for the teams that didn't get an invite to the big dance. Similar to the November/December mini tournaments, just at the end of the season instead of beginning, and treat them like the non-NY6 bowl games. It's a consolation prize for the team and it would be fun for fans. The NCAA has already made the NIT irrelevant. Let's not let them ruin the big tournament. Just my opinion.

I would love to see a common sense threshold for at large bids, such as .500 in conference play as a random example.

Basically remove any doubt on certain teams if they come in under the threshold. I personally despise subjective playoff selections by committees.

I would love to see a common sense threshold for at large bids, such as .500 in conference play as a random example.

Basically remove any doubt on certain teams if they come in under the threshold. I personally despise subjective playoff selections by committees.
A .500 conference record is a very different threshold in the Big 12 than a mid major. 8 of 20 games could be against top 10 teams. 14-16 are likely to be Quad 1 with nothing worse than Quad 2. You go 7-13/9-11 against that you've performed better than all but probably 25 teams in the nation would have.

A .500 conference record is a very different threshold in the Big 12 than a mid major. 8 of 20 games could be against top 10 teams. 14-16 are likely to be Quad 1 with nothing worse than Quad 2. You go 7-13/9-11 against that you've performed better than all but probably 25 teams in the nation would have.
That’s why I called it a random example. I am very ignorant of valuable MBB metrics. I would be fine with a universally accepted threshold.

That’s why I called it a random example. I am very ignorant of valuable MBB metrics. I would be fine with a universally accepted threshold.
This is where "Strength of Record" comes in. I think it's the most important team metric beyond NET.

barttorvic.com has a great site that allows you to sort team sheets by that, NET or pretty much any computer rank that's relevant.

Both Boise and us were underseeded based on recent history. Does anyone know what a quad 1A win is defined as?

25 Colorado becomes first power conference team in the NET Top 25 to not earn a single digit seed
Interesting Quirks:
-Boise State first team to record four Quad 1A wins with a Top 30 NET and not earn a single digit seed (previous low was 2023 7 seed Tx A&M)

I think I'm with Goose on this one. It should be a 64-team tournament. It should be exclusive and exciting to be one of the at-large schools chosen. It shouldn't be a given for anybody...i.e. conferences shouldn't expect X amount of bids every year. Teams that are at or below .500 in their own conference shouldn't even be in the conversation, regardless of which conference they play in. If the primary concern is "having more basketball to watch" or getting more money for the NCAA, we should just establish exhibition invitational tournaments for the teams that didn't get an invite to the big dance. Similar to the November/December mini tournaments, just at the end of the season instead of beginning, and treat them like the non-NY6 bowl games. It's a consolation prize for the team and it would be fun for fans. The NCAA has already made the NIT irrelevant. Let's not let them ruin the big tournament. Just my opinion.

You are misunderstanding him, @Goose is advocating for CU to join Stanford, Cal, Cal tech and invest in basketball by creating an IVYish, IVY^2, WIVY IVYEST Conference (name in progress). We beat those nerds and punch out ticket as an AQ every year. By keeping those other P5 schools, out, we are more likely to advance

FWIW: a fun tournament thing, is to bet a friend $2 or $5 on every game (63?), with 1 person taking all the underdogs, 1 all the favorites, with the published point spread. Adds some interest to every game, and very little money ends up being won or lost.

Back