What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Tourney game thread - #10 seed MEN's Bball - 1st round game vs. #7 seed Florida (In Indianapolis; Friday, 3/22, 2:30 PM MT; TBS)

Maybe they only scouted the Boise game?
Our offense has been pretty stagnant since WSU. So if they scouted our last 4 games or so, they would easily come to a conclusion that they could out score us. No doubt.

Maybe they only scouted the Boise game?
Or other games where our opponent actually played defense?

Looking over Florida's scores this season, they went off a couple of times. But - despite the loss - it seems like they had a great showing today. Am I wrong about that?

Why Florida coach whining post-game, said KJ pushed off. How bout the other 100 points, Coach?
Considering the stuff that wasn't called on his team he should consider himself lucky but in a game that close don't think there are many coaches who won't try to find and excuse for losing

With all the starters lighting it up, let's not overlook Cody's game today ... you can literally see energy and confidence coming back into him. He had to run the point quite a bit cuz of KJ fouls, and made some critical press break moves and decisions, passing and dribbling, late with the game in the balance. Some clutch free throws too. A couple strong drives to the rim. If he can take another step forward, this team is as dangerous as anyone right now.

With all the starters lighting it up, let's not overlook Cody's game today ... you can literally see energy and confidence coming back into him. He had to run the point quite a bit cuz of KJ fouls, and made some critical press break moves and decisions, passing and dribbling, late with the game in the balance. Some clutch free throws too. A couple strong drives to the rim. If he can take another step forward, this team is as dangerous as anyone right now.
He is still frustrating but you can see the talent and understand why the NBA wants him.

Or other games where our opponent actually played defense?

Looking over Florida's scores this season, they went off a couple of times. But - despite the loss - it seems like they had a great showing today. Am I wrong about that?
I think both teams played pretty damn close to their offensive best.

I suspect that UF's coach didn't quite have a good enough scoring report - he really had no idea that our offensive best was so good.

Coaches can't scout and watch every game, or every conference. And if you're a coach in the eastern time zone, you simply will not have seen many of the Western time zone teams play, so you rely on scouting reports to tell you what you need to know.

On the one hand, I would say his scouting report was deficient. On the other hand, I would say his scouting report led to a game plan that was well within any reasonable margin of error of creating a win, so 🤷.

Considering the stuff that wasn't called on his team he should consider himself lucky but in a game that close don't think there are many coaches who won't try to find and excuse for losing
Looking at the two angles I've seen, of course KJ pushed off. But he didn't really extend the arm much, which is the obvious tell. It was more of an arm bar driving forward, so the defender's gonna fall back. Objectively, in that situation at that point in the game, that's a no-call scenario 98% of the time. He would have still got the shot off, no way that dude blocks it.

I think both teams played pretty damn close to their offensive best.

I suspect that UF's coach didn't quite have a good enough scoring report - he really had no idea that our offensive best was so good.

Coaches can't scout and watch every game, or every conference. And if you're a coach in the eastern time zone, you simply will not have seen many of the Western time zone teams play, so you rely on scouting reports to tell you what you need to know.

On the one hand, I would say his scouting report was deficient. On the other hand, I would say his scouting report led to a game plan that was well within any reasonable margin of error of creating a win, so 🤷.

CU is top 20 in fg pct., 3-pt pct., and ft pct. You don't need to be a genius to look at those numbers and decide that you probably don't want to just try to outscore them. Plus, we've been pretty poor in half court offense over the last couple weeks.

Looking at the two angles I've seen, of course KJ pushed off. But he didn't really extend the arm much, which is the obvious tell. It was more of an arm bar driving forward, so the defender's gonna fall back. Objectively, in that situation at that point in the game, that's a no-call scenario 98% of the time. He would have still got the shot off, no way that dude blocks it.
Right or wrong it doesn't matter which team it is, which player it is, or for the most part which level of basketball it is, very few refs call that an offensive foul with less than 5 seconds left in the game, same applies with a similar amount of contact from the defensive player.

Earlier in the game much higher chance it is called but even then he didn't gain a significant advantage from the contact.

I agree ... and I still question whether he's a lotto pick. But in the meantime, he could be a critical piece of a magical run for us,
You don't see the raw athletic ability he has in a guy who has his length. Who knows how good he will actually turn out to be but he has raw ability to be a franchise type star. He not only can do things few college players can do he can do things most pro players can't do.

Did this win help us in Lunardi’s bracketology rating?

Listened to Bilas on the radio and though he loves the tournament, he has a lot of issues with the selection process including the 32 AQ’s.

You don't see the raw athletic ability he has in a guy who has his length. Who knows how good he will actually turn out to be but he has raw ability to be a franchise type star. He not only can do things few college players can do he can do things most pro players can't do.
I hope he does them on Sunday.

Article after today's THRILLING win - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/22/mens-basketball-buffs-vs-florida

(Other media already posted in this thread include highlights of every made bucket during the game (post #481) and CU's post-game press conference (post #505.))

"

Buffs Top Florida At Buzzer To Advance In NCAA Tournament​

By: Neill Woelk, Contributing Editor

INDIANAPOLIS
— Colorado's KJ Simpson hit a baseline jumper with one second remaining Friday to give the Buffaloes a heart-stopping 102-100 win over Florida in the NCAA Tournament first round at Gainbridge Fieldhouse.

Tad Boyle's 10th-seeded Buffs improved to 26-10 and will play No. 2 seed Marquette on Sunday.

The victory gave Colorado back-to-back NCAA Tournament wins for the first time since the 1955 Buffaloes advanced to the Final Four. The 102 points were also the most ever by the Buffs in the tournament, surpassing the 96 they scored against Georgetown in a 2021 victory.

The seventh-seeded Gators saw their season end at 24-12.

Simpson led the Buffs with 23 points and he had five rebounds and five of CU's 27 assists (tying the CU team record for most assists in an NCAA Tournament game). Eddie Lampkin Jr. scored 21 points and had six rebounds, Tristan da Silva tallied 17 points and five assists, J'Vonne Hadley added 16 points and six rebounds and Luke O'Brien chipped in 12 points and five boards.

Walter Clayton Jr. led Florida with 33 points.

The Buffs shot 63% from the floor (34-for-54), including 6-for-10 from 3-point range, and also hit 28 of their 33 free throw attempts. Florida hit 35 of its 68 field goal tries (51.5%) and was 11-for-25 from beyond the arc.

"You can't ask for much more out of a game in March than the one you just saw," said Boyle, who became CU's all-time leader in NCAA Tournament wins with his fourth. "These guys and the way they battled — I thought both teams battled. Hats off to Florida. They played well. To show the poise and composure that we did down the stretch when they made their run back at us, it was a tough, tough game. I thought to myself at halftime, if we don't start guarding better, if we don't start guarding better, we've got to score 100 to win tonight. We only needed 101 but we got 102."

The Buffs trailed by 10 early in the game but fought back to knot the score at 45-45 at intermission. CU then used an 11-2 run early in the second half to take control and the Buffs maintained that edge, holding a 13-point lead, 94-81, with just 4:28 to play.

But the CU offense, which had scored on 14 straight possessions, went cold and the Gators rallied. Florida's Clayton scored 16 points in the final 3:46 to fuel a 19-6 Gators run and his 3-pointer with 9 seconds remaining tied the game at 100-100.

That, though, was just enough time for the Buffs to bring the ball up court and call a timeout. Simpson took the inbounds pass from Cody Williams, dribbled to the baseline and launched a jumper that rattled around the rim seemingly forever before finally dropping through the net with 1 second on the clock.

"It was just another one of those times where we had to execute," Simpson said. "Obviously it was a play that was set up. There were multiple actions out of it. I happened to break free and was just looking to drive, create something, whatever was the best play, and noticed the defender got a little bit off balance and that's a shot I shoot a bunch of times. Credit to my teammates. Cody threw me a great pass that was able to guide me and lead me in that direction, and it was just stepping up and hitting a shot."

DECISIVE STRETCH: This one wasn't decided until the final second when Simpson gave CU the win with his baseline jumper.

WHAT IT MEANS: Along with extending their program record for wins to 26, the Buffs also won their second NCAA Tournament game in a row for the first time since 1955. Boyle now owns the CU record for NCAA victories (four).

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs shot 63% from the floor (34-for-54), including 6-for-10 from 3-point range, and also hit 28 of their 33 free throw attempts. Florida hit 35 of its 68 field goal tries (51.5%) and was 11-for-25 from beyond the arc.

NEXT UP: Colorado now faces No. 2 seed Marquette on Sunday at Gainbridge Fieldhouse.
"
________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/florida/boxscore/17004

Detailed Notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2024/3/23/Postgame_Notes__CU_102__Florida_100_.pdf

Quotes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2024/3/23/Quotes_Colorado_Florida_NCAA.pdf

Back