What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Stadium "Going To Happen" For csu

Texas runs the b12...neinas is the new poolboy

Nienas was hired as an interim commissioner to bring stability and clean up the mess left by Bebee. If Graham wants to capitalize on his friendship, he needs to do it now before a new permanent commish is hired.

Anyone who thinks CSU gets into the BigXII because of Graham/Neinas' friendship is delusional. That would be professional suicide for Neinas

TV sets would have to be a big part of their pitch, but there are problems there, too. First, Denver is a big market, but a market big enough to sell to two different conferences? That's a tougher sell. And the Big XII has already lost Denver once. They'll have a pretty good idea how important the market is to their TV package in a year or two. If their exposure has been hurt by losing CU, that's a big plus for CSU. But if they realize they really don't miss Colorado that much, not so good for CSU.

Also, CSU would need to demonstrate they can draw TV sets in the Denver market - enough to make it worthwhile for the Big XII. The Mountain doesn't help them there - it's hard to draw ratings when most of your games are played on a network not that many people get. If they don't find some way to demonstrate that they're a TV draw beyond putting 40k butts in the seats at the stadium, their value is limited. CU has been drawing ABC games for years. They've been featured in the Big XII cable package even when they suck. They've demonstrated some TV appeal. CSU's got some work to do to get to that point.

Like I said, it's not impossible. But even if Graham can convince enough people to put up enough money to finance his "vision", I still think it's pretty damn unlikely it works out the way they're hoping...

The idea that CSU would deliver the Denver TV market is ridiculous and something that the Big XII and any other conference already knows is a pipe dream. If CSU had any potential to draw TV numbers the MWC TV package wouldn't be as small as it is. The last time CSU was in a bowl game (NM Bowl) the ratings for that bowl were the second lowest of any bowl that year, ahead of only the bowl with the Sun Belt champion. If CSU were a TV draw in Denver the stations in Denver would figure out a way to get them on much more often. As it stands if you want to watch CSU football on TV (and most people don't thus) you have to find someone who has the Mtn since CSU rarely even appears on the MWC slots on CBSCS.

CSU's AD is looking at the college football landscape and there is a divide happening. Conferences that are getting big TV contracts and Conferences that are not. The want to move to a conference that has big TV contracts knowing if they do not they will wither and die athletically... They are identifying things they need to do to get there and one of the major one is getting an on campus stadium. This is not a news flash, it has been known for years that the location and atmosphere of Hughes is actually a liability for the program. They are trying to change that.

It will happen pretty easily if they can get some seed money and pledges. Once they have that they can get permission to sell Capital Improvement Bonds to finance the Stadium. Now is a good time with interest rates being low.

Problem is the wanting to be a big time program and being a big time program are two different things.

CSU has a core of fans as dedicated as any in college football including CU. The problem is that that core of fans, as loyal as they are isn't big enough to sustain a major program and they don't even come close to having the interest of enough casual fans to make it work at the level they want.

Building a new stadium will get them some more interest from those fans who have a marginal interest but how many people in Denver or even in Greeley and Loveland are going to say "CSU has a new on campus stadium, I think I will go buy tickets and see some games?" A few will but nowhere near enought to justify them being in the upper echilons of college football.

To me the choice is clear. They can hold on, spend a bunch of money, and continue for a time as the whipping boy for the major programs, continuing their long time history as one of the losingest programs in college football. They can continue to have one of the lowest revenues and budgets of any program in the division and be forced into hoping for an occasional bottom end bowl as they are looked at as an paid opponent for bigger budget programs as they try to generate enough money to somewhat compete. When they have success it will be short lived because the coach will move on to greener pastures, when they lose they will be hamstrung by lack of revenues and have limited options to change.

The other option is to recognize that they are never going to be able to compete for a championship with schools that have multiple of their financial resources and support and instead move to a level where they can compete. They can be in a position to win games, to compete for conference championships and more. This doesn't mean that an on campus stadium won't help. Schools like Montana and Montana State, the Dakota schools, etc. sell close to as many seats as CSU does and have records and teams to be proud of.

Simple question is does CSU want to continue to be less than a laughing stock in FBS or a real contender in FCS. The second makes much more sense financially and otherwise.

CSU's AD is looking at the college football landscape and there is a divide happening. Conferences that are getting big TV contracts and Conferences that are not. The want to move to a conference that has big TV contracts knowing if they do not they will wither and die athletically... They are identifying things they need to do to get there and one of the major one is getting an on campus stadium. This is not a news flash, it has been known for years that the location and atmosphere of Hughes is actually a liability for the program. They are trying to change that.

It will happen pretty easily if they can get some seed money and pledges. Once they have that they can get permission to sell Capital Improvement Bonds to finance the Stadium. Now is a good time with interest rates being low.

lol wut? If $150M-$200M new stadiums were easy everybody would be doing this, or similar costing upgrades to their facilities. People are conveniently forgetting that they are the poorest funded AD in the dying conference known as the Mountain West. I am astounded by the fact that people on here are giving this so much credence.

Let me outline the thinking here: CSU wants to get into the Big 12 to have any hope of survival in major college football. To get here CSU needs a new on campus stadium that had a minimum capacity acceptable to the Big 12, namely 45k minimum. Then they need to actually be competitive in their own conference. Then they need to start looking at drawing over 20k as a target, let alone average over 40k to be even remotely realistic as a viable Big 12 candidate. All of this will probably take a good decade to accomplish realistically if every conceivable break goes their way. Even Boise State who has rocketed up the ranks needed about 15 years of building to get to this level. I don't know if people have looked around lately, but expansion is happening on the order of months not years. In 10 years college football will probably already be drastically changed with CSU on the outside looking in.

Hey, I know I am looked at as the negative nancy by CC on this, but I think I am also looking at this with some credible realism too. If they somehow pull it off, congrats to them, but they won't. Boise States happen less than 1% of the time in college football.

Will the Buffs just keep up with the Jones, or take the lead and turn Folsom into something CSUwe would be drooling over?

lol wut? If $150M-$200M new stadiums were easy everybody would be doing this, or similar costing upgrades to their facilities. People are conveniently forgetting that they are the poorest funded AD in the dying conference known as the Mountain West. I am astounded by the fact that people on here are giving this so much credence.

Let me outline the thinking here: CSU wants to get into the Big 12 to have any hope of survival in major college football. To get here CSU needs a new on campus stadium that had a minimum capacity acceptable to the Big 12, namely 45k minimum. Then they need to actually be competitive in their own conference. Then they need to start looking at drawing over 20k as a target, let alone average over 40k to be even remotely realistic as a viable Big 12 candidate. All of this will probably take a good decade to accomplish realistically if every conceivable break goes their way. Even Boise State who has rocketed up the ranks needed about 15 years of building to get to this level. I don't know if people have looked around lately, but expansion is happening on the order of months not years. In 10 years college football will probably already be drastically changed with CSU on the outside looking in.

Hey, I know I am looked at as the negative nancy by CC on this, but I think I am also looking at this with some credible realism too. If they somehow pull it off, congrats to them, but they won't. Boise States happen less than 1% of the time in college football.

That's the most important part in all this and one that everyone seems to be overlooking. CSU isn't suddenly going to turn into a legitimate FBS program in a year or 2. The Big 12 and Big East have both changed drastically in the last 18 months so who knows what a conference like the Big 12 will look like in 5 years, or if it will even still be around for that matter.

Anyone who thinks CSU gets into the BigXII because of Graham/Neinas' friendship is delusional. That would be professional suicide for Neinas

You realize Chuck Neinas is like 80 years old, right? I don't think he's worrying about career suicide.

You realize Chuck Neinas is like 80 years old, right? I don't think he's worrying about career suicide.

In thought his career ended after he made his recommendation that CU should hire Dan Hawkins.

I would like to see them in a major conference, it would be great for colorado sports in general, and would help us more than hurt.

I would like to see them in a major conference, it would be great for colorado sports in general, and would help us more than hurt.

I don't give a **** about Colorado sports in general. I only care about CU. It would hurt CU more than help, because it means another BCS school that CU has to recruit against, and in our backyard no less. Doesn't really matter because CSU getting BCS status is a pipe dream.

Is that u Kiszla?

I do wish I was paid to just sit in my chair working for a dying newspaper and make remarks that ticks off the natives. And perhaps Tini being my #1 fan. :lol:

Only reason why I wanted CU in the MWC was the idea of local rivalries in sports such as basketball to begin with. The idea of rivalries with Utah, BYU, Wyoming, CSU, and AFA in many sports would have been very appealing. The MWC at that time was very likely to get a BCS AQ as well. Plus I'm not going to be the last person to question whether the adminstration was serious about supporting the AD. Given their long standing attitude towards the AD, I viewed the MWC as the appropiate conference for CU...if they finally spend the money on facilities like Cal and UW has done recently, I would happily eat crow.

I will tell you that I did enjoy having CU playing in the MWC in NCAA Football 10 on my PS3 before I got 12 and beating those teams up with a power running game.

I can't wait for the Kornholers & Big 12 fans to do a double take when they see on ESPN.com that CU is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on facility improvements. :thumbsup:

McLwain appears to be an offensive genius. Rammies will be a scoring machine.

If that light pole had fallen during a Rams game it wouldn't have hit anybody.

I like to see the Rams getting a stadium on campus. I root for them when they aren't playing the Buffs.

I smell flop with McElwain. Maybe if they had gotten the DEFENSIVE coordinator....

If that light pole had fallen during a Rams game it wouldn't have hit anybody.

I like to see the Rams getting a stadium on campus. I root for them when they aren't playing the Buffs.
This. It's like having a little brother who wears a soft helmet, and you can't give him chocolate.

After some stuff that has been posted some places including Bazril, I don't get why CU fans should be worried about CSU's ponzi scheme.

Fairchild is a better OC than Mcelwain. Yet to see Mcelwain be a Head coach, will reserve judgement on that.

Back