What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Not Happy With Keeping Sefo In The Game

I'm with you. It was pretty obvious that his throws were off due to the injury and he wasn't going to be used in the running game, so what made the coaches think he was the best option for a win? Sefo is lucky he didn't get hurt worse as a sitting duck back there.

Was Montez hurt too? He looked gimpy in some of the side line shots and looked off after a called running play.

I agree - this wasn't the only time the coaches let him stay in a game when they should have pulled him.

I don't think we win the game with Montez, but I do think it's a closer loss.

Agree. Breaks my heart. I want nothing more than to see Sefo heal up and lead the Buffs to a bowl game victory.

I get it. I personally thought Montez should get the 2nd half start.

But Sefo brought us here. He did. Think about all the moments throughout the year that Sefo persevered. So I get it; and doubt any of us would really believe we presume to know Sefo (or Steven) more than McIntyre. Both Sefo and HCMM earned my respect to make that call & I can live with it, but I can also understand how others can't.

And with that; I'm heading to my Beer Fridge for a handful and getting in my hot tub. Last time I did that after a Buffs loss, it was Hawaii. What a long strange trip it's been.

This is Sefo's team. He earned the right to play the 2nd half. It didn't go well and we lost. Still a great year and we will play in a bowl game for the first time in 10 years.

Coaches were in tough spot I think. Sefo says he can go, obviously affecting him, but tough to yank him when he's emotional leader that took us this far. Can't run him anymore so huge part of offense removed, already struggling behind o-line. Would Montez have faired any better? Maybe slightly but we were whipped up front all night.

This game was won and lost on the line ... and UW absolutely dominated on both sides. Not even close. Pushed us back 2-3 yards every play in the middle and ran us down on the edges every time. Didn't matter who was playing QB or RB for us.

This game was won and lost on the line ... and UW absolutely dominated on both sides. Not even close. Pushed us back 2-3 yards every play in the middle and ran us down on the edges every time. Didn't matter who was playing QB or RB for us.
Wrong and short sighted.

There is also his history to deal with: Sefo has been injured and worked his way back onto the field to win numerous times this year. Hard to choose against the tide of his grit.

Wrong and short sighted.
What game did you watch? They ran for 265 vs 82 for us. Gaskin/Coleman were often 3-4 yards downfield before touched and then drug us for 3-4 more. We averaged 2.8 yards per carry. Our QBs were under duress all night. Even if Sefo doesn't throw those picks, what did you see from the rest of the game that tells you we would have marched down the field on those possessions? We scored 7 points tonight, basically. We were blown off the line on both sides of the ball. Period.

This is one of those "no one can win" arguments. I go with the "ya go with who brung ya" argument. We only know how the "Sefo plays" scenario turned out. It's easy to argue, after the fact, that Sefo shouldn't have been in. But no one knows how it would've turned out with Montez. He came within a whisker of throwing an INT deep in our red zone as well.

So say Montez goes in and ****s the bed. What then? Do the coaches lose the team? Does Montez's confidence get shot?

What game did you watch? They ran for 265 vs 82 for us. Gaskin/Coleman were often 3-4 yards downfield before touched and then drug us for 3-4 more. We averaged 2.8 yards per carry. Our QBs were under duress all night. Even if Sefo doesn't throw those picks, what did you see from the rest of the game that tells you we would have marched down the field on those possessions? We scored 7 points tonight, basically. We were blown off the line on both sides of the ball. Period.
Sefo was in the game. Thats what I saw. Him being in killed everything. They were owning the lines when it was 7-7. What changed after half? Sefo came back in.

My take is Montez is still very raw and panics easily after his initial read. He also isn't the runner Liufau is when healthy. For some reason, Montez runs with trepidation for his size and athleticism. At first contact, he folds and runs way too upright. But the kid flat-out throws darts when his read plays out.

I understand the dilemma the team faced at the start of the second half. I thought they should have let Liufau settle into some kind of rhythm before asking him to throw across the middle, deep in your own territory.

In the end, it probably wouldn't have hurt any worse to pull Liufau for ineffectiveness in the 3rd quarter and give Montez his reps. It wouldn't have made much difference outcome-wise.

I don't mind Sefo coming back in the 2nd half, but after the first pick, I think you make the change. Not because he threw an INT, but because he wasn't physically capable to help the team.

I place the blame on Sefo and the coaching staff. The team's goal was to win a P12 championship, all decisions need to be based on that objective.

I know Sefo is a warrior and wants to be in there, but he is also a leader on the team. Sometimes the leader has to make difficult decisions for the benefit of the team. He needed to see that he was not physically capable of helping the team and pull himself from the game.

The coaches are the adults that must look at managing the team from a "it's business" perspective. They needed to see that Sefo wasn't helping the team to reach their ultimate goal and do something about it.

I don't mind Sefo coming back in the 2nd half, but after the first pick, I think you make the change. Not because he threw an INT, but because he wasn't physically capable to help the team.

I place the blame on Sefo and the coaching staff. The team's goal was to win a P12 championship, all decisions need to be based on that objective.

I know Sefo is a warrior and wants to be in there, but he is also a leader on the team. Sometimes the leader has to make difficult decisions for the benefit of the team. He needed to see that he was not physically capable of helping the team and pull himself from the game.

The coaches are the adults that must look at managing the team from a "it's business" perspective. They needed to see that Sefo wasn't helping the team to reach their ultimate goal and do something about it.
To counter, did they believe Montez could? He was just as shaky.

So I have a question that maybe someone who knows more about these things could answer.

Sefo was obviously hurt - at his very worst point in his CU career, I've never seen him miss a screen pass so badly that it went out of bounds as a backwards pass.

If he got the needle at halftime, what could he feel below the knee? I'm not familiar with cortisone, or even if that's what they use anymore. Did they use something that enabled him to play but was still very much in pain? Or did they give him something that kept him from feeling pain even though there might have been structural issues that were causing weakness in his lower leg? Or finally, did they even give him something that caused numbness in his lower leg?

From the beginning sefo stepped on the field his freshman season till now, the coaches were going to live and die with Sefo. I had no issues with it.

Here's the real question: 15 bowl practices-shouldn't Montez take most of the first team snaps? . . . and get some play in the bowl game?

Back