What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Not Happy With Keeping Sefo In The Game

To counter, did they believe Montez could? He was just as shaky.
Obviously not.

Agree with the statements earlier that the OL was not handling the DL and not giving either QB a reasonable shot at success. But, Montez at least didn't start from behind from a physical stand point.

Oh, and isn't it amazing that we are having a conversation like this? Arguing about who should be the better QB option in the P12 championship... who saw that coming at the beginning of the season?

Here's the real question: 15 bowl practices-shouldn't Montez take most of the first team snaps? . . . and get some play in the bowl game?
maxresdefault.jpg

I think they limited the playbook with Sefo, but they would also limit it with Montez. They went with experience, and I don't fault them for that. I didn't think we were ready to play for whatever reason. We didn't finish tackles like we have all year, we missed on catches that went the other way, and Sefo threw into their very good DBs. It was a team loss, but I think we were mostly outcoached, including a lot of wtf play calling. This is the same team, but with Sefo, that stayed with USC in LA. We should have been better.

Coaches seem inclined to never let us or Montez figure out whether Montez is any good. Feel like we've wasted several opportunities for him to grow. At least let him play when the game is basically over and not risk Sefo.
Don't agree with the first part. Montez thrives when he practices with the first team. He is likely our starter after this season for a long time.

Don't agree with the first part. Montez thrives when he practices with the first team. He is likely our starter after this season for a long time.
Two good starts and one bad start is hardly enough evidence to suggest any sort of conclusion on whether someone is a good player. Plenty of QBs thrive when put up against weak defenses in their first couple starts especially when aided by tremendous plays by his WRs, when faced with real competition is where stars are made or broken. The further we delay such opportunities, the more growing pains he may experience, and the longer we wait for a certain answer. Those experiences are valuable, even if he obviously does better when he practices with the first team.

Last edited:
Here's the real question: 15 bowl practices-shouldn't Montez take most of the first team snaps? . . . and get some play in the bowl game?

I don't know how they'll break it down. They won't spend 15 practices on implementing a game plan, though. I'm curious how these practices get organized.

This idea that at 14-7 at half that staying with Montez would have changed the outcome of the game is foolish ... as has been pointed out UW was owning both LOS in the run game and that basically turned Colorado into a 1 dimensional team. Montez got away with a terrible throw inside his own 20 that Budda picked but just couldn't get his first foot down. If you couldn't have seen at least a devastating turnover coming with the bad field position I don't know what game you were watching. The game obviously spiraled out of control after the pick 6 to start the 2nd half but I personally never got the impression that Colorado was ever a threat to consistently move the ball all night. The only thing that was worrying me was whether or not Washington was going to be stupid and start trying to fling the ball around versus just continuing to run downhill all night.

This idea that at 14-7 at half that staying with Montez would have changed the outcome of the game is foolish ... as has been pointed out UW was owning both LOS in the run game and that basically turned Colorado into a 1 dimensional team. Montez got away with a terrible throw inside his own 20 that Budda picked but just couldn't get his first foot down. If you couldn't have seen at least a devastating turnover coming with the bad field position I don't know what game you were watching. The game obviously spiraled out of control after the pick 6 to start the 2nd half but I personally never got the impression that Colorado was ever a threat to consistently move the ball all night. The only thing that was worrying me was whether or not Washington was going to be stupid and start trying to fling the ball around versus just continuing to run downhill all night.

Stick around. Your posts are so full of interesting facts and information. I especially love how thorough you are,no words are wasted. You truly leave me longing to read more every time I finish reading your posts.
/sarcasm

Kid can definitely sling it; problems are all mental. My take has always been that Montez has great potential but needs to develop in decision making/check downs/etc., which come with time. IMO, coaches deemed Sefo healthy enough to make solid decisions and go full "game manager" mode while hopefully make the corrections necessary at half to allow the D to win the game the way they have all year. Nothing against Montez, who is the future, but I think they were more comfortable giving up some of the bigger play upside if it also meant avoiding some poor decisions.

I don't think anyone has suggested we would have won the game if montez stayed in. You huskies are a weird lot.

I don't know how they'll break it down. They won't spend 15 practices on implementing a game plan, though. I'm curious how these practices get organized.
I forget how bowl practices are supposed to go. I'm used to being reminded that the staff is not burdened with practice and can focus on recruiting. Will be interesting to see how Mac plays it. I'm assuming that a good portion of the reps are focused on "pre-spring" work with the young guys getting a lot of looks, before getting down to the game work for the last 4-5 practices.

Two good starts and one bad start is hardly enough evidence to suggest any sort of conclusion on whether someone is a good player. Plenty of QBs thrive when put up against weak defenses in their first couple starts especially when aided by tremendous plays by his WRs, when faced with real competition is where stars are made or broken. The further we delay such opportunities, the more growing pains he may experience, and the longer we wait for a certain answer. Those experiences are valuable, even if he obviously does better when he practices with the first team.

I tend to agree. The staff needs to be better going forward about giving backup QBs valuable reps when they get the chance.

I say no.

First off, I think the message that would send to the upperclassmen would be disrespectful. One thing that this bowl game is about rewarding the upperclassmen who were there at rock bottom, if you give preference to Montez you are taking much of what is left of the season from the seniors and giving it to next year's team.

Second, do we assume that Montez is the guy next year? He certainly showed that he has the tools, but against the biggest competition he didn't exactly seize the job. Giving him the reps with the first team sends the message that he's already got the job before Lytle steps on a practice field, before Noyer gets a shot, etc. etc. The smart money is on him, but make him earn it next spring.

He will definitely get some first team reps. As Nik says, it really comes down to where the balance is struck.

I say no.

First off, I think the message that would send to the upperclassmen would be disrespectful. One thing that this bowl game is about rewarding the upperclassmen who were there at rock bottom, if you give preference to Montez you are taking much of what is left of the season from the seniors and giving it to next year's team.

Second, do we assume that Montez is the guy next year? He certainly showed that he has the tools, but against the biggest competition he didn't exactly seize the job. Giving him the reps with the first team sends the message that he's already got the job before Lytle steps on a practice field, before Noyer gets a shot, etc. etc. The smart money is on him, but make him earn it next spring.

So a guy who has started 3 games, won two and lost at usc by 4, is going to lose the job to a true freshman? How good is lytle?

So a guy who has started 3 games, won two and lost at usc by 4, is going to lose the job to a true freshman? How good is lytle?

And you are disrespecting a senior who happens to have a bad ankle, bad knee, and who knows what else is bad by giving his primary back-up going into the bowl reps in the early practice sessions?

Players aren't stupid, they know that bowl practices aren't just about getting ready for the bowl game. They also know that just because a guy gets a lot of reps in the bowl practices or the spring practices that doesn't mean he's guaranteed a starting spot in fall.

And you are disrespecting a senior who happens to have a bad ankle, bad knee, and who knows what else is bad by giving his primary back-up going into the bowl reps in the early practice sessions?

Players aren't stupid, they know that bowl practices aren't just about getting ready for the bowl game. They also know that just because a guy gets a lot of reps in the bowl practices or the spring practices that doesn't mean he's guaranteed a starting spot in fall.

What in the world are you talking about? How am I disrespecting sefo? I've been defending him.

The conversation was about next season and lytle vs montez.

What in the world are you talking about? How am I disrespecting sefo? I've been defending him.

The conversation was about next season and lytle vs montez.

I am agreeing with you in regard to the comment by jkpp about sending a disrespectful message to the upperclassmen. Everyone knows Sefo is a warrior. The idea that giving practice reps to his backup while he is hurt and of using some bowl practices to develop that backup is disrespectful is ridiculous.

And your point about Montez earning at least the early advantage in the race is spot on. If one of the other guys earns it, and they will get a chance, then they will play but Montez has earned his reps on the field.

I thought I heard Mac say last night that the bowl game is the reward for the seniors but the younger guys will get a bunch of reps in the extra practices. Exactly how it should be, the seniors get the game, but the extra practices are wasted if they just go to the outgoing guys. How did Mac say it?... an extra spring practice for the younger guys....

Lytle is pretty darn good and comes from a league that prepares well. Freshman QB's take jobs start every year in college football. Montez has all the physical tools, I think Lytle will be very advanced on (QB intelligence)concepts and the ability to make reads. His film is damn good. The fact he is coming in early is huge and will create great competition. He will be able to add 15 pounds early. He is listed at 210lbs and looked bigger when I saw him Friday night. Montez, Noyer and Lytle will battle every year to start. Lytle just starts off with more tools compared to the others as an incoming freshman year on year. There is a reason he had over 27 D1 offers. Can't wait to see the three get after it. Montez is a stud, but not a shoe in. Noyer is a complete stud also and has added size. Lytle comes in with high expectations and on of the highest QB recruits we've had in a long time. We have a great problem.

Last edited:
Montez has crazy upside. He has a massive arm, great natural athleticism, and decent smarts. His fundamentals, especially his footwork and throwing mechanics, leave little to be desired at the moment. His ability to read defenses is also pretty remedial.

Luckily we have some very good coaches who can develop him into a stud. We also have some competition, which is a hallmark of big programs. We haven't had high level QB competition in quite some time. May the best man win.

I felt it was a big mistake to keep playing Sefo. He didn't look capable. To me, that was a really poor coaching decision.

Yep, Mac made a bad decision by keeping an injured player in. The argument that we weren't going to win anyway because we were getting beat on both LOS is silly. Oh well we're getting beat on the LOS so we better just concede the game.

No, if a player is injured you put his backup in. Isn't that one of the team mantras? Next man up!

As stated earlier, when Montez gets a week of practice with the 1's then he is a completely different player than throwing him in cold. If Sefo is still hobbled on the final week of practice leading up to the Alamo Bowl then Montez should start. This game is huge wrt national perception. Lose bad to ok state and we'll be perceived as a fluke.

Back