What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Now the dust is settled, who will be the redshirts from the 2013 class?

Which freshman will be the star newcomer in 2013-14?

• Tre'shaun Fletcher

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Wesley Gordon

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Jaron Hopkins

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Chris Jenkins

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • George King

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Dustin Thomas

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters
As Mattrob said, those guys averaged those minutes last year on a team that had absolutely no depth. We have depth now, and I expect literally all of those guys' minutes to go down outside of XJ who will be a starter from the first game of the year. I still expect SD to average over 30 minutes a game, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the only one.

Even deep teams have 3 players who tend to play 30 or more per game. Look at Arizona last season.

Well don't quit the board, but you're going against the grain here. He's our top rated recruit by ESPN, Rivals, etc. The excitement about this recruiting class has a lot to do with Hopkins. That's a harsh assessment that he's just a high jumper. He wouldn't make it into a Top 150 list with a narrow skill set.

Well he's not the highest rated recruit by ESPN, Fletcher is. Fletcher is also the highest on Scout. We need ball handling and shooting. How is Hopkins going to help?He's not our top rated recruit and doesn't help where we need it.

Well he's not the highest rated recruit by ESPN, Fletcher is. Fletcher is also the highest on Scout. We need ball handling and shooting. How is Hopkins going to help?He's not our top rated recruit and doesn't help where we need it.

So what do you like about Hopkins?

So what do you like about Hopkins?

I am not saying he can't play basketball, he is obviously very athletic and can finish strong around the rim. But when you consider everything there seems to be a shortage of minutes for a guard who can't help with outside shooting or ball handling.

I am not saying he can't play basketball, he is obviously very athletic and can finish strong around the rim. But when you consider everything there seems to be a shortage of minutes for a guard who can't help with outside shooting or ball handling.

I don't know why you think he won't help with ball handling. He's got a great handle. He's also a great finisher at the rim and has a highly developed pull-up/mid-range game for a high school kid.

One of the big knocks is that he dominates the ball too much instead of moving it in the half court. That's kind of been Tad's offense, though. I'd like to see him work on his jumper to force defenders to respect it. But, hey, if you can get to the line, finish at the rim and score off the dribble then the 3pt line is over-rated anyway. Alec shot under 30% from deep as a soph.

Hopkins is the highest rated recruit according to Rivals (119 to 143). But my point still stands, this class ranking has a lot to do with Hopkins, regardless if Fletch has him beat by a few points in other outlets.

If you don't see a good ball handler after watching his tape, then that's your opinion. We all see different things. I actually see a superior ball handler that can get to the rack, score or dish. That's a fairly major help in my opinion!

He's a very good ball handler.

You're also forgetting his defense. Quick feet, long arms.

Yes you are all correct he can dribble the ball very well. I should have been more clear with my thoughts. I don't see someone who is going to lead an offense as the main ball handler.

I know it sounds like I am down on Hopkins, but I am not. I realize he is one the best recruits in school history and will likely be a major contributor for us one day. I am just looking at the roster, who is coming back, who I think will be improving and what Frosh can fill needs. I think we need size and strength down low, sharp shooters, ball handlers, and someone besides Dinwiddie to move the ball and involve others. Gordon, Jenkins, Thomas and Fletcher seem to fit the bill more than King and Hopkins, and someone is going to have to sit on the bench or get red shirted. That's all I am saying.

I know it sounds like I am down on Hopkins, but I am not. I realize he is one the best recruits in school history and will likely be a major contributor for us one day. I am just looking at the roster, who is coming back, who I think will be improving and what Frosh can fill needs. I think we need size and strength down low, sharp shooters, ball handlers, and someone besides Dinwiddie to move the ball and involve others. Gordon, Jenkins, Thomas and Fletcher seem to fit the bill more than King and Hopkins, and someone is going to have to sit on the bench or get red shirted. That's all I am saying.

I think you may be higher on Talton and Stalzer than some others here. Ski, too. I'm not sure that too many folks on this board feel confident with anyone except Mayor bringing the ball up or leading the break. So J-Hop is looked at as the best guy to fill that role as the secondary handler this year. And going forward he could be primary or it could be Dom (nice problem to have).

I think you may be higher on Talton and Stalzer than some others here. Ski, too. I'm not sure that too many folks on this board feel confident with anyone except Mayor bringing the ball up or leading the break. So J-Hop is looked at as the best guy to fill that role as the secondary handler this year. And going forward he could be primary or it could be Dom (nice problem to have).

FWIW, I think Ski may be the best transition passer we have on this team. He threw some absolutely sick bounce passes through heavy traffic last year.

These are all nice problems to have, I am just glad the days of Mookie Wright are well past us. I hate Booker's game and am about as low on him as I have been since, well, Mookie Wright. In fact I was looking at his recruiting thread the other day and I believe it was you who said he has problems with his shot selection and playing the point. Nothing has changed so far with him, and it's not looking like it never will.

Boyle seems to want to let him play and shoot though, and even if he shoots less he will be playing a lot of minutes because his defense and leadership.

It may be I am higher on Talton and Eli, we will have to see with them. Eli has probably about reached his ceiling, but Talton still has room to grow and from what it sounds like he is putting in the work.

These are all nice problems to have, I am just glad the days of Mookie Wright are well past us. I hate Booker's game and am about as low on him as I have been since, well, Mookie Wright. In fact I was looking at his recruiting thread the other day and I believe it was you who said he has problems with his shot selection and playing the point. Nothing has changed so far with him, and it's not looking like it never will.

Boyle seems to want to let him play and shoot though, and even if he shoots less he will be playing a lot of minutes because his defense and leadership.

It may be I am higher on Talton and Eli, we will have to see with them. Eli has probably about reached his ceiling, but Talton still has room to grow and from what it sounds like he is putting in the work.

Without Booker we don't win the Charleston Classic and don't go to the dance. Fact is that we didn't have a great offense last year and he put up 12.6 ppg. Booker is much much better than how he played last year.

And you talk about Talton putting in the work but so does Booker. As soon as he got back from Charleston he was back in the gym shooting.

Without Booker we don't win the Charleston Classic and don't go to the dance. Fact is that we didn't have a great offense last year and he put up 12.6 ppg. Booker is much much better than how he played last year.

And you talk about Talton putting in the work but so does Booker. As soon as he got back from Charleston he was back in the gym shooting.

Three years ago someone wrote he needed to work on playing PG and his shot selection. He hasn't changed that thus far.

He plays great in tournaments and has some nice plays each game, but he takes way too many shots and has timely mistakes.

He scored 12.4 points on 12.7 shots, many of which came outside the flow of the offense. He shot 36 percent from the field, 31 percent from 3 and only got to the line 2.5 times per game. And he only shot 70 percent at the line.

Talton on the other hand played limited minutes, but showed quick hands on D, the ability to knock down big shots, handle the offense, led the break and get the ball down low to XJ and Scott.

He had troubles with the speed of the game at times, which led to turnovers and a disruption of defensive rotations. He tried to make plays that may have worked in high school. We'll have to see how he plays when he is in for more minutes, but the potential is there.

Three years ago someone wrote he needed to work on playing PG and his shot selection. He hasn't changed that thus far.

He plays great in tournaments and has some nice plays each game, but he takes way too many shots and has timely mistakes.

He scored 12.4 points on 12.7 shots, many of which came outside the flow of the offense. He shot 36 percent from the field, 31 percent from 3 and only got to the line 2.5 times per game. And he only shot 70 percent at the line.

Talton on the other hand played limited minutes, but showed quick hands on D, the ability to knock down big shots, handle the offense, led the break and get the ball down low to XJ and Scott.

He had troubles with the speed of the game at times, which led to turnovers and a disruption of defensive rotations. He tried to make plays that may have worked in high school. We'll have to see how he plays when he is in for more minutes, but the potential is there.

You seem to be under the impression that I think Ski played well last year. Outside of the tournament he didn't but I do not believe for a second that is an accurate reflection of Ski's talent level. For whatever reason he lost his confidence after the tournament and he started pressing.

You seem to be under the impression that I think Ski played well last year. Outside of the tournament he didn't but I do not believe for a second that is an accurate reflection of Ski's talent level. For whatever reason he lost his confidence after the tournament and he started pressing.

I am under the impression that you believe he will improve in the areas that were identified as weak parts of his game at least 3 years ago. He came in needing to improve his shot selection and ability to play the point, he has done neither.

I don't think Mills is going to gain that magic 30 pounds and I don't think Booker will improve his shot selection or ability to distribute. He kept shooting, so he must've been pretty confident. I remember he said in some news article "every time I shoot the ball I think it's going in" after that tournament.

I am not questioning his talent level, I am simply saying he has not improved on his known weaknesses for 3 years, why will he start now? It's not a matter of confidence or whatever.

I am under the impression that you believe he will improve in the areas that were identified as weak parts of his game at least 3 years ago. He came in needing to improve his shot selection and ability to play the point, he has done neither.

I don't think Mills is going to gain that magic 30 pounds and I don't think Booker will improve his shot selection or ability to distribute. He kept shooting, so he must've been pretty confident. I remember he said in some news article "every time I shoot the ball I think it's going in" after that tournament.

I am not questioning his talent level, I am simply saying he has not improved on his known weaknesses for 3 years, why will he start now? It's not a matter of confidence or whatever.

Well he's not a point guard, and as Reggie Miller just said on TNT in regards to JR Smith shooting his way out of a major slump... "that's the only way to do it". So either he needs to take open shots, or he just shouldn't play. You seem to be in the "he shouldn't play" camp.

Ski was getting better at picking his spots towards the end of last season. He was still frustrating to watch at times, but he was getting better. He is only a soph who will be here all 4 years. Was JMO but I thought the offense moved better when he was setting it up. A big reason for it was he would get the ball to the perimeter after bringing it up, instead of stalling after crossing half court like Dinwiddie loves to do(drove me nuts). Same could be said of Talton to a lesser extent toward the end of the season when he ran the point. They looked to distribute more than Dinwiddie did.

Booker taking open shots, playing tough d, diving for the ball and being a floor leader is great. Booker shooting and missing with 30 seconds left on the shot clock is another thing. There would be times during games when he would be the only one to shoot for 3-5 straight possessions. Often times the other team would go on a run during that time. His long misses led to fast breaks the other way and easy baskets or foul shots.

Some advanced stats:
2011-20122012-2013Difference
FGA233384151
TS%49.9%44.8%-5.1%
%Shots at Rim29%18%-11%
FG% at Rim67%56%-11%
%Shots 2pt Jumpers33%44%11%
FG% 2pt Jumpers32%33%1%
%Shots 3pt33%38%5%
FG% 3pt37%31%-6%
%assisted 3pt61%67%6%
FT%74%71%-3%

Win Shares:
2011-20122012-2013Difference
Off Win Share0.96-0.42-1.38
Def Win Share0.971.440.47
Total Win Share1.931.02-0.91

Those stats to me suggest a sophomore offensive slump. Instead of getting to the basket like he did his freshman year, he took too many jump shots so your comment about him not being able to fix is shot selection is a bit off after looking at his freshman year. I anticipate his offensive win shares going way up next year because there will not be nearly as much pressure for him to score next year which will open things up for him.

I gave you an example of a deep and talented team, L'ville. What am I suggesting? I am simply looking at what is happening in college basketball everywhere, including CU. Most teams have about 3 players who play more than 30 minutes. Arizona was deep last season, right? Well big shock! 3 players had 30 or more MPG.

You are wrong about this.
I actually don't think Arizona was particularly deep last year. They basically ran a 7 man rotation last year, with Mayes and Chol also seeing spot minutes. Of those 7, 3 were true freshmen, and they only had 2 true guards in those 7. Lyons and Johnson both had to play big minutes out of necessity. Also, while we're digging for examples of teams to fit our arguments, take a look at the rosters for Florida, Marquette and Wichita State; you'll see a combined 3 players on those squads that played 30 minutes or more per game, with Rosario of Florida on the verge as well. I think those three teams had pretty decent seasons last year. You may not want to throw definitive statements out there just yet.

All those numbers show is he took more mid-range shots.
Well **** are we expecting a 6'0" guard to get to the rim over a third of the time? If Ski can get to the rim more next year he will be fine. This isn't the first time someone has had a sophomore slump and he won't be the last. Ski will be fine.

Yes you are all correct he can dribble the ball very well. I should have been more clear with my thoughts. I don't see someone who is going to lead an offense as the main ball handler.
Considering you think Spencer will play 30-35 minutes every night, why do we have a pressing need for another main ball handler and lead guard? That only leaves a few minutes available. More pressing is the need for a secondary ball handler to help handle the press and close out games. Hopkins fits this profile pretty well, with the added benefit of having the length and athleticism to make an impact on the defensive end.

Considering you think Spencer will play 30-35 minutes every night, why do we have a pressing need for another main ball handler and lead guard? That only leaves a few minutes available. More pressing is the need for a secondary ball handler to help handle the press and close out games. Hopkins fits this profile pretty well, with the added benefit of having the length and athleticism to make an impact on the defensive end.
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that Dinwiddie will play around 30 minutes/game next year, he did average 32.5 last season.

Ski had a sophomore slump in large part because no one else was willing to shoulder the load whenever Spencer was out.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that Dinwiddie will play around 30 minutes/game next year, he did average 32.5 last season.
I don't either. I actually expect him to average 30+. I'm just saying that, if you expect him to average those type of minutes, I'm not sure why you would make the statement that our most pressing need is another lead guard.

I don't either. I actually expect him to average 30+. I'm just saying that, if you expect him to average those type of minutes, I'm not sure why you would make the statement that our most pressing need is another lead guard.
Oh gotcha. Agreed.

Back