What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2015 Colorado @ ISU game thread

Talton was in because they needed to press and hopefully hit a 3 at the end. Tad's going to go with his senior guard over his freshman guard (Yaz) at this point in the season for that situation. I think we'll see that change at some point this year. I really like Yaz (and I was pretty negative on that recruitment).

ESPN staff writer:
Iowa State held on for a 68-62 win over Colorado in Sioux Falls, S.D. It was sloppy but Cyclones held Josh Scott to a 5-for-16 clip. That was significant. Stalled Colorado's offense. But ISU's defensive lapses late in the second half helped Colorado stay alive. But Steve Prohm won his debut. Game like that, you just want to get the win. Surprised they did it with a 2-for-10 mark from the arc. But Buffs fans should be encouraged. Dom Collier looked great. Xavier Johnson will return. The Buffs were tough.

The Good:
Tad is rolling with Scott! 16 shots from the big man. Usually has a much higher shot % but a double double out the gate against an All-American is solid.
George King with 14 and 6, including four from downtown!
Akyazili: Despite limited minutes, he really pushed the ball up court and moved the ball well in half court sets. The offense played well with him on the court. His Defensive definitely needs seasoning though.

The Bad:
Gordon. 4 pts, 4 rbs, 3 turnovers and fouled out. Big disappointment. H
Rarely do you win games with more turnovers than assists. 18 TO's and 12 assists! Tad's offense has never been assist friendly.
Several people on All Buffs. Calling out Talton is nuts. He scored 5 pts, 5 rbs, 4 asts, 2 steals and just one turnover. Collier had 6 turnovers. Every starter had at least 2 turnovers and so did King off the bench. XT was not the problem! He is consistent and although he can play better, his numbers off the bench are solid and far less a liability than most on the roster today.

The we will see:
Collier looked stronger. Faster. Played better D on the perimeter. But 6 turnovers and passed long cross court passes rather than swinging the ball with efficiency. Overall, improvement through!
Tory Miller was quicker, yet he did relatively nothing.
T. Fletcher: Needs more minutes. Did not do much, still waiting for that break out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game was encouraging if Iowa State is a legitimate top ten team. Josh Scott had an off night, not the norm. Hopefully the turnover problem doesn't hang around like last season.

Very encouraging, they didn't looked out-matched at all. Dom looks much thicker this year, didn't recognize him at first. King also living up to hype and Fortune looks gifted with a nice stroke. If Josh can stay healthy, this team could be really good. Auburn game looking very winnable... and important.

Just getting around to watching the game. First thoughts are that I really like Yaz pushing the pace and not holding onto the ball too long. Does not look like a freshman to me so far.

King and Fortune playing good defense too. I followed the gamecast at work but watching the game is just as promising as you all made it sound.

I was afraid I was going to be watching CU get run out of the gym. That did not happen. The gym definitely was Hilton North, so like a home game for Iowa State. Thinking the Buffs will be okay.

I liked what I saw. Still a little perplexed/disappointed in the continued lack of progress by some players. But after watching the football team crap their pants again, I realize what an awesome blessing it is to have Tad and his boys each year. #RollTad

Did anyone here go to the game? Small gym but that looked like an awesome place to watch college basketball.

If Yaz continues to play like he did yesterday, I'm going to be so damn happy eating all of that crow. He was further along than I expected. Only one game, but nice to see.

He has had great coaching the last couple years so it makes a lot of sense. Euros always seems to be further along skill wise at this point. On the flip side Keenan looked bad defensively.

He has had great coaching the last couple years so it makes a lot of sense. Euros always seems to be further along skill wise at this point. On the flip side Keenan looked bad defensively.
Guz played 3 minutes and has been hurt, so I am not sure you can take much from that. I don't think we see much of him anyways the first part of the season.

Guz played 3 minutes and has been hurt, so I am not sure you can take much from that. I don't think we see much of him anyways the first part of the season.

He played 3 minutes because he let up two or three straight baskets. I agree that we won't see him very much in conference play though.

Akyazili: Despite limited minutes, he really pushed the ball up court and moved the ball well in half court sets. The offense played well with him on the court. His Defensive definitely needs seasoning though.

While I am not sure he has the speed to keep every guard in front of him, I thought Yaz's recovery D was pretty good. He knocked the ball away a few times after guys got even or past him. I really liked his play, and how the team played when he was in.

Iowa State fan here. Wanted to stop by after the game and see your thoughts and offer mine. I was at the game and it was a great venue and a hard fought game. Colorado seemed to sell out guarding the perimeter and wanted to force ISU to score in the paint. 2 for 10 three point shooting is pretty atypical, both in attempts and made threes for ISU the last several years. We have four players capable of 40%+ three point shooting and they did not take many. By putting so much perimeter pressure, it allowed ISU to get to the hoop time and again and Cyclones struggled some converting around the hoop. Solid game plan by Tad.

Iowa State does return 4 starters and some fairly talented ones, but with the new coach and the short bench, I expected the start of the season to be a bit rocky at times. Prohm has really emphasized defense in practice and it shows that they have not done much work on offense yet as the Cyclones seemed to do a lot of one on one rather than sets. Defensively, ISU was trying to clog the lane and it left the Buffs open for a lot of threes and your players did a good job of making a fair share of them.

To those wondering if ISU is a legit top 10 team, I think we can be, but we will not be at that level until we add Deonte Burton midyear and get some more games under our belt with a new coach. Burton will battle Nader for the fifth starting spot and will add much needed depth. Hoiberg leaving late left ISU in recruiting limbo and did not allow us to add much for players last spring. We currently have 11 scholarship players.

Was really impressed with the Buffs and wish you the best moving forward. Have missed the games against the old Big 8/12 foes that have new leagues now.

Iowa State fan here. Wanted to stop by after the game and see your thoughts and offer mine. I was at the game and it was a great venue and a hard fought game. Colorado seemed to sell out guarding the perimeter and wanted to force ISU to score in the paint. 2 for 10 three point shooting is pretty atypical, both in attempts and made threes for ISU the last several years. We have four players capable of 40%+ three point shooting and they did not take many. By putting so much perimeter pressure, it allowed ISU to get to the hoop time and again and Cyclones struggled some converting around the hoop. Solid game plan by Tad.

Iowa State does return 4 starters and some fairly talented ones, but with the new coach and the short bench, I expected the start of the season to be a bit rocky at times. Prohm has really emphasized defense in practice and it shows that they have not done much work on offense yet as the Cyclones seemed to do a lot of one on one rather than sets. Defensively, ISU was trying to clog the lane and it left the Buffs open for a lot of threes and your players did a good job of making a fair share of them.

To those wondering if ISU is a legit top 10 team, I think we can be, but we will not be at that level until we add Deonte Burton midyear and get some more games under our belt with a new coach. Burton will battle Nader for the fifth starting spot and will add much needed depth. Hoiberg leaving late left ISU in recruiting limbo and did not allow us to add much for players last spring. We currently have 11 scholarship players.

Was really impressed with the Buffs and wish you the best moving forward. Have missed the games against the old Big 8/12 foes that have new leagues now.

Thanks for stopping by.

I was very impressed by ISU.

It wasn't so much selling out on the perimeter to force it into the paint. Buffs have switched up defensive philosophy on help defense this year and have decided not to leave guys alone on the arc by collapsing down on the ball (off drive or entry pass) like they'd done in the past.

Against just about every other team CU will play, that will result in contested mid-range shots -- which we'll live with every time. But your guys were skilled enough to turn that into layups.

With the defense you're playing, I think you're looking at a Final Four run this year. (for whatever that's worth, considering it's a November opinion)

Amazing job by your interior defense to keep Josh Scott from going off... especially after your interior guys got into foul trouble. That shows a very high basketball IQ.

I thot isu's offense was really good at spreading the floor. There was a lot of space to operate.

I'm gonna hold off on opining about the Buff D until I see a few more games. Letting folks have room to maneuver in the paint could be a risky strategy. However, I'm not sure we'll see 2 big guys with that much skill again this season.

Let me reiterate - there are things I saw yesterday that I really liked. More movement on O, different guys knocking down treys, more effective bench play. Lots to build on.

I was a bit surprised that both King and Fortune didn't seem committed to playing D, given their physical attributes.

I finally got around to watching the DVR and was pleasantly surprised. Granted, it's early but it looked like we were actually running an offense. We looked good against a good team. The newcomers looked like players and those who are returning look improved. That was a decent performance in what was essentially an away game vs a top ten team.

Warning - post making assumptions based off of one game sample sizes below. Take with grain of salt.

On his podcast last week, @RK said he wanted to see Dom play more like Emmanuel Mudiay of the Nugs - lots of aggression, going hardcore, and while you don't want turnovers you're ok with some of them. I'd say that he nailed it on Friday. 6 turnovers sucks, but I'm ok with them for the first game of the year against a very very good defensive team. He took his open shots and had a gorgeous drive for a layup. There was also an almost assist in the first half that was beautiful but someone (it was either King or Jelly) ended up missing the easy bunny. If we get that Dom all year, I'm beyond thrilled.

I also was pleased with Yaz. He didn't dominate, but he didn't suck. He looked composed out there. Looked a little lost at one or two points, but that's to be expected. I honestly didn't think he'd see much PT this year, but I think he'll be a solid 3rd PG for us playing 5-10 mpg depending on matchups. Next year, I think he may be ready to take the backup PG spot (depending on where we play Peters).

Agree with Holic on King & Fortune's D. That was bizarre. King is still King. He has moments where he looks like the best player on the court, and he has moments where he looks like he's not actually human, but is three or four aliens wearing a suit trying to figure out how to appear to be human out there. But he kept us in the game with those 3's. Good to see some aggression off of the bench, although I was glad to hear that he admitted he needed to work on his shot selection. As for Fortune, I definitely saw why his nickname is "JR" on the team. A few really dumb shots, a few really pretty plays. I really like what he's going to bring to the team, provided he gets his D intensity up again.

Jelly won't go 5-for-15 from 2 again this year. That was a combination of him just being slightly off and facing waves of athletic defenders. Not many teams can match ISU's frontcourt.

Hopefully we can rebound against Auburn. They beat a pretty decent team in UAB on Friday. Gotta attack them inside. Let Josh dominate and get Dom's confidence up.

Just an uninformed question from way out in left field:

Why isn't the turnover credited to the player who is called for the illegal/moving screen?

I realize he isn't the one currently possessing the rock, but it's his action that causes the t/o.

Because a lot of times, it's the player with possession of the ball who is at fault by going too quick or taking a bad angle, leaving the screener out of position. Probably could be a judgment call that they don't want to make every time so they just give it to the guy holding the ball. Like delay of game on the QB.

After a couple days, my reactions boil down to this: there were a whole bunch of question marks, and Josh Scott was not one of those. A lot of those question marks stepped up big in game one, but Josh had one of the worst shooting performances of his career, that is not going to happen all that often. Although a loss stinks, I'm excited for whats to come.

After a couple days, my reactions boil down to this: there were a whole bunch of question marks, and Josh Scott was not one of those. A lot of those question marks stepped up big in game one, but Josh had one of the worst shooting performances of his career, that is not going to happen all that often. Although a loss stinks, I'm excited for whats to come.
Good summary.

Back