What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

Charlie Strong is seriously on the hot seat after today. Pretty much done when they issue a statement that they will not make a coaching change during the season.
Could be wrong but seems like almost a 100% chance Herman is the coach there next year and he is going to take over an absolutely loaded roster. Texas is last years Washington and all he will need to do is add a dual threat quarterback.

Pretty funny and totally irrelevant, but on the Solid Verbal podcast they asked who Oregon should hire if they fire Helfrich and he responded "I am all about that Mike McIntyre life."

Texas is definitely in desperation mode. Strong had to take play calling duties away from his long-time DC (been with him since the Louisville days). Strong will be orchestrating the entire defense. It was not a move he wanted to make.

I am concerned about losing Leavitt. Not that I can do anything about it. The guy has been an integral part of the rise. This defense is filthy. My hope is that he's of an age where the idea of taking over another dumpster fire of a program isn't terribly attractive to him.

Does Tumpkin get the job if Leavitt goes?

Something tells me this will be a big spin year for the Carousel.

UT- Almost certainly in play
LSU- in play
Oregon- Possibly in olay
USC- possibly in play
Auburn- Possibly in play
Perv. St. - Possibly inplay
Bailer- Old man Grobe put on the ice floe and in play by season's end.

Those are some big gigs, and I bet most, if not all, are on the market by year's end.

I look for Herman to UT. Whittingham goes somewhere this year, and Dykes probably has his resume cued on the FAX just waiting for the last game....

Something tells me this will be a big spin year for the Carousel.

UT- Almost certainly in play
LSU- in play
Oregon- Possibly in olay
USC- possibly in play
Auburn- Possibly in play
Perv. St. - Possibly inplay
Bailer- Old man Grobe put on the ice floe and in play by season's end.

Those are some big gigs, and I bet most, if not all, are on the market by year's end.

I look for Herman to UT. Whittingham goes somewhere this year, and Dykes probably has his resume cued on the FAX just waiting for the last game....
I could see Dykes going hard after the Oregon job if it becomes available. They'll likely have better options though.

I am concerned about losing Leavitt. Not that I can do anything about it. The guy has been an integral part of the rise. This defense is filthy. My hope is that he's of an age where the idea of taking over another dumpster fire of a program isn't terribly attractive to him.

I'm just as worried about him leaving to take over another dumpster fire of a program as HC, as I am potentially being pulled to the SEC for a DC job that will pay him double or triple what he makes now.

This could be the year Dantonio bails with Urban killing it once again and Harbaugh taking Michigan back to where they should be. Other than that I don't know which big time coaches would leave their current gig, maybe Patterson from TCU as he is starting to reach that point of being there for a while.

This could be the year Dantonio bails with Urban killing it once again and Harbaugh taking Michigan back to where they should be. Other than that I don't know which big time coaches would leave their current gig, maybe Patterson from TCU as he is starting to reach that point of being there for a while.
GPat isn't going anywhere. Dude is getting paid, he is a legend there and his seat is as cool as the other side of my pillow.

D'Antonio is interesting. He has probably maxed out in East Lansing, but where would he go?

Is this the year that Venables finally gets a HC job? I swear, the dude must be the worst interview on the planet. His defenses at Oklahoma and now at Clemson have been absolutely nasty.

Maybe he'll take over at KSU if Snyder finally retires? Hope so and that he'd be the choice there over Leavitt.

Texas is definitely in desperation mode. Strong had to take play calling duties away from his long-time DC (been with him since the Louisville days). Strong will be orchestrating the entire defense. It was not a move he wanted to make.

Cue the "Another guy that's a victim of bringing his G5 staff to a P5 program" argument.

Some of you had him as your number 1 replacement for Hawkins and Macintyre.

Is this the year that Venables finally gets a HC job? I swear, the dude must be the worst interview on the planet. His defenses at Oklahoma and now at Clemson have been absolutely nasty.

Maybe he'll take over at KSU if Snyder finally retires? Hope so and that he'd be the choice there over Leavitt.
I don't know, a guy who needs assistance to stay off the field just may not be HC material.....

Cue the "Another guy that's a victim of bringing his G5 staff to a P5 program" argument.

Some of you had him as your number 1 replacement for Hawkins and Macintyre.

I think that the fact that the hiring of G5 OC Sterlin Gilbert is the reason behind any good news from the season so far (after firing Shawn Watson)... and that to get him to take the job they agreed to get rid of Joe Wickline (one of the most respected OL coaches in P5) to make room for G5 Matt Mattox... should put that argument to bed quickly.

I could see Dykes going hard after the Oregon job if it becomes available. They'll likely have better options though.

I don't see it. Dykes' ideal gig is somewhere like Texas Tech or Okie Lite. He needs to be a spot where he's not dealing with any sort of admission restrictions.

I don't see it. Dykes' ideal gig is somewhere like Texas Tech or Okie Lite. He needs to be a spot where he's not dealing with any sort of admission restrictions.
Although I am sure it could happen, I am not sure you are guaranteed to see Dykes in Eugene.

Don't you think Strong will still get a head coaching job in the P5? I would think so.
Certainly possible, he's a good coach who took a job that was a bad fit from day 1. I also hope that Leavitt is in no hurry to leave.

Probably depends on Strong's expectations in terms of what kind of program he will be taking over.

No question he will have job offers but how bad will those programs be.

If the offers come from a dumpster fire like a Kansas or a Missouri then it would be easy to see him pass on the job.

Some other jobs could be available to him though that he sees as being a couple good classes away from being able to compete nationally.

Strangely failing at Texas may not hurt him as bad as failing at some other places might have.

Leavitt is going to get interest but most if not all may be more work and time than he wants to spend to be decent. He won't be on the A list yet.

Not sure if JL going is that big a concern. Other than K-State (Snyder can probably coach as long as he wants-and even then.....wouldn't Venables or Mike Stoops be better there?), he's probably be a factor at a secondary opening, but he also seems like he's extremely happy here. I could see Boise/Utah State being interested in him if Harsin and Wells get P5 jobs (Wells is still highly thought of even with USUs struggles this year).

Probably depends on Strong's expectations in terms of what kind of program he will be taking over.

No question he will have job offers but how bad will those programs be.

If the offers come from a dumpster fire like a Kansas or a Missouri then it would be easy to see him pass on the job.

Some other jobs could be available to him though that he sees as being a couple good classes away from being able to compete nationally.

Strangely failing at Texas may not hurt him as bad as failing at some other places might have.

Leavitt is going to get interest but most if not all may be more work and time than he wants to spend to be decent. He won't be on the A list yet.

As far as Strong, he's probably a factor at the same places that Les Miles could be a factor at (see Purdue and Kentucky).

As far as Strong, he's probably a factor at the same places that Les Miles could be a factor at (see Purdue and Kentucky).

And the question will be do either of those guys want those jobs or will they hold out for something better?

And the question will be do either of those guys want those jobs or will they hold out for something better?

Miles would take either I think. I got the sense from that interview that he did with Tom Rinaldi that he wants to coach, and he'd take a job like Kentucky or Purdue. Urban Meyer would hire Strong as a defensive assistant tomorrow if he were available.

Davis Webb has saved Dykes bacon this year, but I think he may still be interviewing for a bunch of jobs again this year. Cal is not a very stable situation. Wilner has written a bunch of stories lately on the structural issues in the AD since the department is running something like a 20 million dollar deficit. They have a set up a committee to study things at a bunch of peer institutions (UCLA, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Arizona) and make recommendations. They support something like 30 sports and I think the prevailing opinion is they are going to have to go with the equivalent of our old Black Monday and cut a bunch of sports. I don't think the debt load on their stadium's structural renovations is sustainable.

I would not be surprised to see Dykes name come up for the Baylor job, or OSU if Gundy finally decides he's sick of having to deal with T. Boone.

Davis Webb has saved Dykes bacon this year, but I think he may still be interviewing for a bunch of jobs again this year. Cal is not a very stable situation. Wilner has written a bunch of stories lately on the structural issues in the AD since the department is running something like a 20 million dollar deficit. They have a set up a committee to study things at a bunch of peer institutions (UCLA, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Arizona) and make recommendations. They support something like 30 sports and I think the prevailing opinion is they are going to have to go with the equivalent of our old Black Monday and cut a bunch of sports. I don't think the debt load on their stadium's structural renovations is sustainable.

I would not be surprised to see Dykes name come up for the Baylor job, or OSU if Gundy finally decides he's sick of having to deal with T. Boone.

Dykes will not be the Cal coach in 2017. That's my not so hot take (everyone is thinking this).

Can not be a good situation at Texas with the rumors swirling about strong being fired at the end of the season. Hard to play when your not sure who is in charge? I could see ABriles replacing - just throwing that bone

Crap...Bruce Feldman is tweeting out some stats about the CU defense and the job Jim Leavitt has done. I know its an inevitable problem you're going to have when things are going well, but I'd prefer that stay under the radar as much as possible with Texas and FSU looking like they are going to be desperate for DC's after the season is over.

Last edited:
Back