What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Reset Hi.O style...

Filled jobs:

fUCLA- They strike hard and fast, grabbing the brass ring and landing Chip Kelly. h/t Jens.
UF- Mullen is in, per ESPN.
Ole Miss- Matt Luke it is. h/t nik. 2 year bowl ban, loss of schollies
MSU- Joey Moorhead, OC at Penn. St. takes over in Starkville. h/t cmgoods
ASU- Herm Edwards. Strange hire. ASU installing an NFL model, run by a the future P12 champ in free association. The P12S cheers this hire. (h/t Jens)
aTm- Jimbo leaves FSU h/t Serenity Buff UPDATE: $7.5 MM a year. He damn well better win.
Oregon St.- Cal OC Beau Baldwin was tapped for the job. h/t nik UPDATE: Washington OC Jonathon Smith nabs the job.
NU- The nubs get their man, Frost it is. (h/t Jens)
UCF- Josh Heupel, fmr. Mizzou OC, with Randy Shannon as DC. (h/t AeroBuff and Jalapeno)
FSU- Taggart leaves the Ducklings. (h/t Serenity Buff and Hokie)
Arky- fmr. SMU HC Chad Morris gets the gig.
Rice- Stanford OC Mike Bloomgren gets the job.
Tennessee- The most amusing search of the year ends. Bammer DC Jeremy Pruitt, with CSU OC Will Friend in tow and slated for OL coach, take over.
UTEP- Dana Dimel the new HC. (h/t SerenityBuff)
So. Alabama- Central Arky's Steve Campbell is the man.

Open jobs:

Kent St.- Paul Haynes out. h/t mdelpizzo
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out. Tee Martin has shown interest ( I forget who posted this, so h/t to somebody)
UL-Lafayette- Who knew?

Secondary Market:

University of Oregon, the one in Eugene, Oregon, not to be confused with University of Oklahoma (OU)- Uncle Phil will have the sweatshops running OT to pay to replace Taggart. Leavitt, Christobal, McElwain, Fleck, Schiano, Rhule, Sumlin, Tedford, Leach and Harsin all being thrown around as possibles. I will add Wicox to that list.
SMU- Morris leaves for Arky.

Other news:
TCU- Extended GPat trough 2024 h/t nik
TTU- KliffyK safe h/t onealcd
KU- Beaty confirmed to be back next year.
Mizzou- Barry Odom set for extension.
ISU- Campbell signs extension
Auburn- Malzahn signs extension which basically means he is in the clear until next October.
OSU- Gundy gets a $700K raise after jerking UT's chain. (h/t buffs 35)
CU- Brian Lindgren moves on to Oregon St., with Mike Riley as his QB coach, that ought to be fun. (h/t Serenity Buff).
Memphis- Norvell signs an extension
Pitt- Narduzzi signs an extension

Last edited:
DQT8SLtUEAAk55Z.jpg

I guess some good news is csu has lost their OC (ut) and DC (retirement).

They may also be losing their CB coach, per FootballScoop:

Tennessee: Sources tell FootballScoop Jeremy Pruitt has had discussions about bringing Colorado State cornerbacks coach Terry Fair back to campus, although we don’t believe anything is done at this time. Fair is a former All-SEC player for the Vols, worked as a quality control assistant for Tennessee in 2013-14 and at one time hosted a sports talk show in Knoxville.

UT lite HC Pruitt hires CSU OC Will friend as OC, CSU DB coach Terry Fair in same role, and USC passing game coord. Helton as QB coach. SIAP.

Who called plays at SC the last few years.....Clay?

Martin and the two Heltons shared duties. Scott Wolf covers USC in LA and wrote this after the Notre Dame loss:

The issue surrounding the program right now is whether Martin is the only one who deserves the blame? Martin, quarterbacks coach Tyson Helton and Clay Helton all participate in calling plays, according to sources.

Clay Helton was evasive when asked this week about Martin. Asked about criticism directed at his offensive coordinator, Helton said, “I think Tee Martin has done a wonderful job.”

Asked if Martin is the only one calling plays, Helton said, “I think Tee Martin is doing a wonderful job.”

Sounds like Walters and Frost’s TE coach will officially join Nebraska’s staff, announcement soon.

He will have brought his entire staff which is a bit surprising.

Edit: makes sense why he was upset with Florida trying to dictate some assistant hires to him. I’m sure they were like “yeah...no we aren’t bringing your entire staff here.” Meanwhile, Nebraska had no choice but to let him do whatever he wants lol.

Riley is a good coach and would be a positive on almost any staff.

This could create an ugly situation though. He probably has a lot of OSU fans who are fans of his and wasn't the HC that long ago.

When the new coach hits a couple rough spots it's hard to imagine there not being pressure to put Riley back in charge. Even before that happens there will be a lot of "How coach Riley did it" talk.

Lol at the ducks' sour grapes.
Can you blame Duck fans for being sour? He used a donors plane while on a recruiting trip to interview, lied to the press about interviews, lied to recruits and current players. I just hope we go back to WinTheDay as I never really liked the DoSomething saying as much.

It sounds like Leavitt will go to FSU if he doesn't get head coaching job at Oregon. It is odd though that all the players want Cristobal as coach rather then Leavitt given how big of a positive impact he had on the defense.

Can you blame Duck fans for being sour? He used a donors plane while on a recruiting trip to interview, lied to the press about interviews, lied to recruits and current players. I just hope we go back to WinTheDay as I never really liked the DoSomething saying as much.

It sounds like Leavitt will go to FSU if he doesn't get head coaching job at Oregon. It is odd though that all the players want Cristobal as coach rather then Leavitt given how big of a positive impact he had on the defense.
Did you put any Pepsis in his office? I hear that helps....

FSU and Jimmy Sexton had Taggart’s name floating as Jimbo’s replacment the last two weeks across many major sports outlets. Oregon AD needed to have a backup plan ready to execute immediately in the event Taggart became FSU’s final decision. Instead, y’all were caught with your pants down because you believed a coach who similarly lied to the folks in his last job about his interest in Oregon.

Taggart was offered his dream job and said yes. Until every detail was settled, he was in no position to do anything other than move forward with the job he previously held.

Last edited:
Sounds like Walters and Frost’s TE coach will officially join Nebraska’s staff, announcement soon.

He will have brought his entire staff which is a bit surprising.

Edit: makes sense why he was upset with Florida trying to dictate some assistant hires to him. I’m sure they were like “yeah...no we aren’t bringing your entire staff here.” Meanwhile, Nebraska had no choice but to let him do whatever he wants lol.

Interesting thing about Troy Walters is that the folks at Stanford are begging for Shaw to consider him for the open OC job because Bloomberg went to Rice. There is a lot of mixed messages about the offense that Troy would want to run, versus the traditional offense that Shaw wants. Pretty sure that could be sorted out between those two, and technically, Troy is not married to the Frost offense, and sadly Troy DOES NOT get to call plays in the Frost offense as the HC still calls all the plays, and Troy was just the eyes in the sky that provided technical information and adjustments to the HC. Still would prefer not to have Walters at Nebraska, just do not want him to help them at all!!!

Also begs the question, why doesn't Mac just be the DC for us? If there is one thing he does really well, is coach DB's and I am pretty sure he could run a great defense if he spent his time on it.

LOL

Blame them? I am laughing at them, you know, the way they laughed after getting leavitt and clark from us.

What cracks me up are those calling Taggart a snake oil salesman and saying good luck with him, when the reality is that their only complaint about him is that he's leaving UO. Going to his dream job, obviously won't leave FSU under the same circumstances. I happen to think it's ****ty to leave after a year, but the reaction is comical.

Can we get Leavitt back?? Call him "assistant Head Coach" or some crap?

What cracks me up are those calling Taggart a snake oil salesman and saying good luck with him, when the reality is that their only complaint about him is that he's leaving UO. Going to his dream job, obviously won't leave FSU under the same circumstances. I happen to think it's ****ty to leave after a year, but the reaction is comical.
Yeah, and if the deal with FSU fell through Oregon fans would be pissed about him even mentioning leaving for FSU to recruits in the days leading up.

Back