What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

He has only been at Oregon one year. He was at Alabama the 4 years before that and their recruiting is okay.
I was talking about the CSU CBs coach (Terry Fair) who was just hired at Tenn, not Cristobal. Also, I just am not sure where the Fair gets the rep as a good recruiter- he never recruited more than low 3* to CSU- he's not listed as the primary recruiter for any of their top 5 recruits during any of the three classes he was there for. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I don't really get it.

For the record, I think Cristobal did an amazing job at FIU and was unfairly canned. That's a disappointingly good hire for UofO. I wish they would have hired Herm.

I was talking about the CSU CBs coach (Terry Fair) who was just hired at Tenn, not Cristobal. Also, I just am not sure where the Fair gets the rep as a good recruiter- he never recruited more than low 3* to CSU- he's not listed as the primary recruiter for any of their top 5 recruits during any of the three classes he was there for. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I don't really get it.

For the record, I think Cristobal did an amazing job at FIU and was unfairly canned. That's a disappointingly good hire for UofO. I wish they would have hired Herm.
Yes I am talking about Tair as well. You really think he would be taken off their staff by an Alabama guy if he wasn't a strong recruiter?

Yes I am talking about Tair as well. You really think he would be taken off their staff by an Alabama guy if he wasn't a strong recruiter?
He was the best defensive player on Fulmer's best team. Yes, I think he was coming regardless of whether he's a great recruiter.

I get that people will poke fun at this hire, that the players picked their coach. I see it otherwise. Cristobal is an elite recruiter, I daresay one of the top in the Pac-12. I get the skepticism about his coaching record at FIU, same issues with MacIntyre at SJSU. If Cristobal hires a good staff, I see him as being as good a hire at UO could have made.

signed Ed Orgeron

FIFY.

really though, like most things in life, I have no effing idea. Just struck me funny that one the Pac-12 "elites" would go this route.

The term "dream job" is typically only used by the middle class, those making $500k or so, so not surprised that Pahi has not heard that (in his circle).

Interesting that Leavitt got passed over in favor of Christobal. Gotta figure he will get another HC offer someday, but interesting that they had one season to evaluate him and they decided to pass.

Interesting that Leavitt got passed over in favor of Christobal. Gotta figure he will get another HC offer someday, but interesting that they had one season to evaluate him and they decided to pass.
He's 61 years old. Window is closing.

He's 61 years old. Window is closing.
Definitely. Part of my comment was speculation as to whether his act is a little tired (putting out there on Twitter that he should be the HC) and people just don’t want to deal.

He was the best defensive player on Fulmer's best team. Yes, I think he was coming regardless of whether he's a great recruiter.
I just don't see that happening and it happened really quick too. CSU recruited very well in the Mountain West the last couple of years and got a lot of kids out of the South and these coaches were clearly part of it.

Definitely. Part of my comment was speculation as to whether his act is a little tired (putting out there on Twitter that he should be the HC) and people just don’t want to deal.
I think it's mostly that they don't want a defensive-minded HC. They didn't contact Wilcox either.

Oregon does not have a history of going out and making 'splashy' hires. Most of the time they promote from within - Taggert was one of the first in a long time to come from the another HC position and that was a G5 slot. I think they got a solid hire without all the drama.

I do believe that Leavitt would be most attractive to a G5 program or a program on the low end of the P5 spectrum (Kansas). Like what happened with Sonny Lubick - he kept getting passed over until late in his career - not always fair but P5 ADs are not usually looking for guys over 60 unless they have a big rep. Spurrier at South Carolina.

Frost pulled a MacIntyre and brought his G5 staff to his new P5 gig.

I think it’s fair for Nebraska fans to trust Frost. He’s a good coach and this staff might be full of rock stars. But it might also be a big issue like we saw with MM. And after seeing these numbers, it’s laughable that Moos pulled the whole “we have a lot of options,” thing. He had one option and it better work.

Can Christobal see into the future?

I can. 6-6
Have you seen how many cream puffs Oregon has on their schedule next year? Assuming Herbert stays healthy they have an easy 8-10 win schedule.

The Ducks have enough cream puffs in their schedule to make an SEC school jealous.

I think it’s fair for Nebraska fans to trust Frost. He’s a good coach and this staff might be full of rock stars. But it might also be a big issue like we saw with MM. And after seeing these numbers, it’s laughable that Moos pulled the whole “we have a lot of options,” thing. He had one option and it better work.

nebbermind

Have you seen how many cream puffs Oregon has on their schedule next year? Assuming Herbert stays healthy they have an easy 8-10 win schedule.

The Ducks have enough cream puffs in their schedule to make an SEC school jealous.

I was actually making a little joke. Here on the Colorado Buffaloes board.

Last edited:

herbert is the real deal and will play on sunday...wish he was in boulder

[
Moos had plenty of options. The Fusker sychophants didnt. At the end of they day, he abided the Fusker cult.

Frosty has a VERY long rope at Cornholio U. Hiring his most trusted assistants to monster raises to resurrect the corn****ers is only icing on the cake.

Frosty has a VERY long rope at Cornholio U. Hiring his most trusted assistants to monster raises to resurrect the corn****ers is only icing on the cake.

I completely agree with the long rope! 7 year contract gives him at least the first 2 years to determine if he made the right decision on any of his assistants. I am a Troy Walters homer, so I know he is an advantage, but most of the others, especially Chinander beg for comparisons to MM. These G5 coaches have to somewhat be loyal to these guys that got them up to this point, and they get rewarded with bigger paychecks and a chance to prove they are good coaches. Based on the way the UCF defense played last year, and based on the way the Nebraska defense played last year, and based on the schedule and the teams they will face, they will have to score at least 42 points in every single game to have a chance. The Blackshirts will not be back anytime soon. After 2 years, if the defense sucks, changes would have to made (sounds familiar), and if recruiting cannot get dramatically better, changes will need to be made.

Back