What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

Looks like the Nubs will win this Saturday since Northern Illinois lost to Southern Illinois which wasn't a big surprise for me. But boy if the Nubs lose this Saturday, a double digit loss season is likely.
Sims didn't practice yesterday and today was their day off. Something to watch with the rest of their practices this week. If he starts, I bet it's a short leash. The injury is a good excuse to try more of the 2nd backup they inserted in Q4.

Does Prime seem like the kind of guy who gushes about his relationship with the AD, talks non stop about being a "need to be needed kind of guy", buys a multi million dollar home in the area, changes everything about a program in one offseason, convinces 50 kids to transfer to play for him, and then bounces after one year?

Come on.
He always spoke very highly of his last AD. The problem he said he encountered at JSU had to do with the higher up administration and promising things they couldn't deliver. I suspect CU is on the right track here, but I think all this talk about CU being a perfect place for him to coach and/or AD for a decade or so is highly unlikely. He hasn't been any one place for an extended period of time. He's played for 5 NFL franchises and 4 MLB franchises. He finds a way to be comfortable wherever he is. Plus, RG's going to retire and he's said the main reason he came to CU was RG. I don't think he'll bounce after one year, but if we get more than 3 years, we'll be fortunate, IMO.

Buying a multi-million dollar home is also not a big deal. He has at least one other (in Dallas) that we know of. He wants to live comfortably where ever he lives, and enjoys his family life away from the lights. When he's done here, he'll just sell it (or keep it as a vacation home). Regardless of his intentions on how long he would stay, he'd buy a house.

What he does after CU I have no clue. I'd be surprised if he went to another coaching gig unless admin screws things up. But rest assured he'll have something that he'll pursue that gets him fired up.

He always spoke very highly of his last AD. The problem he said he encountered at JSU had to do with the higher up administration and promising things they couldn't deliver. I suspect CU is on the right track here, but I think all this talk about CU being a perfect place for him to coach and/or AD for a decade or so is highly unlikely. He hasn't been any one place for an extended period of time. He's played for 5 NFL franchises and 4 MLB franchises. He finds a way to be comfortable wherever he is. Plus, RG's going to retire and he's said the main reason he came to CU was RG. I don't think he'll bounce after one year, but if we get more than 3 years, we'll be fortunate, IMO.

Buying a multi-million dollar home is also not a big deal. He has at least one other (in Dallas) that we know of. He wants to live comfortably where ever he lives, and enjoys his family life away from the lights. When he's done here, he'll just sell it (or keep it as a vacation home). Regardless of his intentions on how long he would stay, he'd buy a house.

What he does after CU I have no clue. I'd be surprised if he went to another coaching gig unless admin screws things up. But rest assured he'll have something that he'll pursue that gets him fired up.
He was at NFL network for 14 years and he played for both Dallas and ATL for 5 years each. Saban was with the Browns for 3 years, MSU for 4, LSU for 4, and Miami Dolphins for 2 before Bama. Nobody knows what he’s going to do obviously, but this idea that he’s not long for CU because “he hasn’t stuck around one place for very long” is dumb.

Nebraska doesn't scare anybody, but look at the remaining schedule:

N Illinois
LA Tech
Michigan
@ Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue
@Michigan State
Maryland
@Wisconsin
Iowa

That's a whole lot of mediocre with very little firepower outside of Michigan.

Definitely. It is not just race, but as others have alluded, a lot of SEC schools really shy away from brash head coaches. Florida (Spurrier and Meyer) seems to be the one school which thrives with the brash types.
A lot of the SEC schools have a group of big donors who are deeply (deep pockets) involved in the programs and expect their money to buy them a degree of deference. They have almost a sense of ownership of the programs.

Have to question how willing Prime would be to accept that kind of situation. What some call brash on his part is a strong sense of self-confidence. He is clear that his program is HIS program, don't see him being happy doing the social dance some of those rich good ol' boys expect.

I actually think they are on the right track. As much as I don’t care for Rhule, he is a good coach.
He's an above average college coach who, if he lucks into a great talent at qb, can have stellar seasons (like he did at **** baylor).

But... there are like 126 coaches, so if he's #60, he's above average.

But #60 overall is pretty much bottom quarter of the B1G. Not great if that's your conference.

At a school like Temple, an above average coach can look like a miracle worker.

Then he got lucky with RG3.

Unless the nubs return to their historic norm of only scheduling the little sisters of the blind in the ooc, he will probably manage to get them just barely bowl eligible most years.

But unless he catches lightning in a bottle with another great college QB, his ceiling is 9 wins, and most years he'll sit around 6 or 7.

He's an above average college coach who, if he lucks into a great talent at qb, can have stellar seasons (like he did at **** baylor).

But #60 overall is pretty much bottom quarter of the B1G. Not great if that's your conference.

Unless the nubs return to their historic norm of only scheduling the little sisters of the blind in the ooc, he will probably manage to get them just barely bowl eligible most years.

But unless he catches lightning in a bottle with another great college QB, his ceiling is 9 wins, but most years he'll sit around 6 or 7.
In other words - probably around Frank Solich, Mike Riley & Bo Pelini level. I wonder if they'll be able to accept that. Can that fan base accept the reality that their best case scenario is to become peak Alvarez Wisconsin?

But unless he catches lightning in a bottle with another great college QB, his ceiling is 9 wins, and most years he'll sit around 6 or 7.
I think Briles coached RG3, not Rhule.

"I've never disrespected an opponent a day in my life and never will," Rhule said.

Does he lack self-awareness or is he just lying?

Does he not understand that criticizing an opponent for their approach to transforming his team would generally be considered disrespectful? Does he not understand that gathering mid-field on an opponent's logo before a game is provocative in a way that feels disrespectful?

"I've never disrespected an opponent a day in my life and never will," Rhule said.

Does he lack self-awareness or is he just lying?

Does he not understand that criticizing an opponent for their approach to transforming his team would generally be considered disrespectful? Does he not understand that gathering mid-field on an opponent's logo before a game is provocative in a way that feels disrespectful?
Reminds me of Jim Harbaugh. I'm old enough to remember when he said the NCAA violation was just him buying a burger. I'm also old enough to remember him saying he'd never eaten a booger in lis life. Rhule is another Coach Booger.
sport-preview-jim-harbaugh.jpg

And also not smart for letting his players meet on the midfield logo on the road. Rhule fits the N to a tee.
They are still operating as if they were the big, bad, Nebraska of old who could intimidate opponents just by showing up. The meeting on the logo at the middle of the field is a part of this, it is a way of trying to say "This your stadium but this is our field today, we claim it."

Problem for them is that nobody still believes that, including themselves. They don't intimidate anyone, they don't dominate anyone, and even "lesser" opponents like Northern Illinois know that if they just hang around until the end there is a good chance the fuskers will make a mistake or otherwise do something to give away the win.

Rhule is old school, an not in the good way like Coach Prime. He is buying into the "Big Red" B.S. and thinking that they can return to what they were in the 90's. They can't.

Coaches like Rhule, programs like Nebraska, aren't what the kids who make a difference are looking for. Offensive playmakers aren't looking for a place that throws 15 wobbly passes a game and runs the ball 60 times, offensive linemen aren't looking for a place the runs an option ground game, they want film to show the pros that they can pass protect.

Bringing in Sims as the savior at QB is a perfect illustration of this. His skills (other than not being able to hold on to the ball) would have been perfect for the offenses they ran in the late 90's, today he is a liability.

Rhule isn't a terrible coach but I've said it before. Even if he were a great coach it wouldn't save that program. Their problem isn't the coach, it is the program. The phony bravado of trying to meet at the logo and claim the field is just another example of this. Shedeur just went out there and popped their bubble.

Back