What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

Trying to be objective, where does CU-NU rank among national-interest rivalry games?

We'd be behind OSU-Michigan, USC-Notre Dame, OU-UT for sure. Probably behind Miami-FSU and Bama-Auburn. Some others that will draw a big number regardless of record, but I think we're easily a Top 10 game.
Without prime? Top 15?

Without prime? Top 15?
That's what makes it tough after those first few. Most rivalries are dependent on how relevant each team is that year for drawing a national audience. But with the Nubs having a very large & engaged national fanbase and CU becoming "Black America's Team" - I think we've got a leg up on a lot of the others that draw general interest.

Trying to be objective, where does CU-NU rank among national-interest rivalry games?

We'd be behind OSU-Michigan, USC-Notre Dame, OU-UT for sure. Probably behind Miami-FSU and Bama-Auburn. Some others that will draw a big number regardless of record, but I think we're easily a Top 10 game.
Its a regional rivalry like all of the ones you mention. It becomes nationally interesting when one or both teams are ranked. Much in the same way that no one gives a **** about CU, they give a **** about Coach Prime. Its the personalities that make the story interesting.

Army-Navy, UF-UGA (cocktails and whatnot), UF-Tenn, USC-UCLA (debatable if that’s bigger), UO-UDub, Texas-aTm,

Second tier rivalry like UW-WSU, UA-ASU, UM-MSU, Wisconsin-Minnesota. I don’t know that I’d put it in the top ten, though.
UA/ASU?? UW/WSU?? Uhhh no. Those are regional rivalries that have no real national interest, much like the egg bowl or backyard brawl. As a true rivalry game CU/Nebraska is absolutely top 10, but it’s also likely behind big brand games like Penn State/tOSU, LSU/Bama, USC/UM/tOSU, UGA/FL, etc

Its a regional rivalry like all of the ones you mention. It becomes nationally interesting when one or both teams are ranked. Much in the same way that no one gives a **** about CU, they give a **** about Coach Prime. Its the personalities that make the story interesting.
CU is a national brand that isn’t entirely recognized because of Prime. Of course he’s the catalyst in the resurgence, but CU has been a bigger brand than Utah (for example) despite the disparity in success the last 13 years.

Anecdotal, but if, ten years ago (before I started following CU), someone asked me "who are Colorado's football rivals", I wouldn't have mentioned Nebraska.

CU is a national brand that isn’t entirely recognized because of Prime. Of course he’s the catalyst in the resurgence, but CU has been a bigger brand than Utah (for example) despite the disparity in success the last 13 years.
@Devildog2

Will Ferrell Loser GIF

Compared to Utah, yes my impression is we are a bigger brand. How do we quantify that? It's hard to know.

If we were seriously important to the national scene however we'd have had higher ratings and interest around the country even when we were mediocre to terrible. How you measure that is hard to say but I found some data on TV ratings youre not going to like.

Data Is Since 2013. Conference Games Only. No P5 Title Games.
Below is the ranking of schools if we cut the sample at 32 games. (Colorado’s maximum number of games in the data)
0052041-lcee.jpg

We know that Nebraska has been not very good over this time period yet people still tune in (27 best v our 32 best).
0052033-buxb.jpg

Even Kentucky and Vanderbilt have more viewers than us (18 best v our 32 best).
0052028-awli.jpg

Remember the best 32 games were chosen for the series. We can split the hairs on the conference just chose to suck for a decade and thus so did their ratings. Then there is the P12 Network distribution hurting us or not but only the conferences worst games ended up on P12N and most ended up on ESPN or FS. Pac12 After Dark probably hurt the ratings too. The time zone we played in.

That said looking at the BigTen and SECs worst team getting better ratings for playing on the SEC Network or B1G Network

Last edited:
It's kinda hard not to like Buffett, even he is a Nub.

Nub fans gotta be pissed that he hasn't Phil Knight'ed them.

That fact drives them bonkers. I'd assume he'd leave them something when he passes on. But he doesnt give to the AD very much relative to what he has to give and he gives a lot to charity.

He's known for not be one to waste money.

Well played.

Not gonna lie, if I had that kind of scratch I'd be donating the lions share to helping the poor, the homeless. easing suffering, before giving to a sports team.

Well played.

Not gonna lie, if I had that kind of scratch I'd be donating the lions share to helping the poor, the homeless. easing suffering, before giving to a sports team.
He along with Gates and a couple of others has committed to donating the bulk of his fortune to charity when or before he passes on.

And I agree with your point. If I had large amounts of money that I was donating there are many options that would make a more significant difference than donating it to a sports business connected to a university.

I could certainly see donating it to many programs within the university before athletics, programs that fund research into significant issues facing society, programs that promote diversity in educational opportunity (outside of athletics,) etc.

Hard to justify donating money to an athletic program with a head coach with a guaranteed contract for more than $5 million a year and assistants making more than $1 million per year when the best professors on campus make a fraction of that.

Compared to Utah, yes my impression is we are a bigger brand. How do we quantify that? It's hard to know.

If we were seriously important to the national scene however we'd have had higher ratings and interest around the country even when we were mediocre to terrible. How you measure that is hard to say but I found some data on TV ratings youre not going to like.

Below is the ranking of schools if we cut the sample at 32 games. (Colorado’s maximum number of games in the data)
0052041-lcee.jpg

We know that Nebraska has been not very good over this time period yet people still tune in (27 best v our 32 best).
0052033-buxb.jpg

0052028-awli.jpg

Remember the best 32 games were chosen for the series. We can split the hairs on the conference just chose to suck for a decade and thus so did their ratings. Then there is the P12 Network distribution hurting us or not but only the conferences worst games ended up on P12N and most ended up on ESPN or FS. Pac12 After Dark probably hurt the ratings too. The time zone we played in.

That said looking at the BigTen and SECs worst team getting better ratings for playing on the SEC Network or B1G Network
Eh, people don’t tune into bad football and CU has been playing really bad football since 2011. There’s also the problem of the Pac 12 being poorly viewed relative to other conferences so it makes sense that CU has had poor viewership. I think the Big 12 primarily targeting CU and paying us a signing bonus to join before Arizona, ASU and Utah (not to mention WSU, OSU, Cal and Stanford), should tell you that CU has a brand that resonates.

Eh, people don’t tune into bad football and CU has been playing really bad football since 2011. There’s also the problem of the Pac 12 being poorly viewed relative to other conferences so it makes sense that CU has had poor viewership. I think the Big 12 primarily targeting CU and paying us a signing bonus to join before Arizona, ASU and Utah (not to mention WSU, OSU, Cal and Stanford), should tell you that CU has a brand that resonates.
CU has been bad enough that many if not most games have been on the PAC12 Network. That isn't going to produce numbers. Even when not on PAC12 they were on ESPNU or similar secondary channels.

Prior to the demolition of the program CU was one of the most frequent teams on national games because CU drew viewers on a national basis.

Certainly Prime has brought more attention to CU than anything else could, he is not just the story in college football but arguably the biggest story in sports in the US this year.

You can make an argument though based on past history that if CU had been consistently decent and sometimes better that we would have been much more frequently on better TV slots and have much better numbers.

Might even wonder if the program had been supported to be a quality team if we wouldn't have been one of the teams invited to the B1G.

CU has been bad enough that many if not most games have been on the PAC12 Network. That isn't going to produce numbers. Even when not on PAC12 they were on ESPNU or similar secondary channels.

Prior to the demolition of the program CU was one of the most frequent teams on national games because CU drew viewers on a national basis.

Certainly Prime has brought more attention to CU than anything else could, he is not just the story in college football but arguably the biggest story in sports in the US this year.

You can make an argument though based on past history that if CU had been consistently decent and sometimes better that we would have been much more frequently on better TV slots and have much better numbers.

Might even wonder if the program had been supported to be a quality team if we wouldn't have been one of the teams invited to the B1G.
The 32 conference games over 10 years chosen for the sample probably were the ones not on the P12N. They were probably when we played USC, UCLA, UU, UO, or UW. In skimming the article the impression I got was that CU was the limiter of the sample size having the fewest rated games to use

Also, in the graphic you can Stanford being 3rd in terms of ratings.

The 32 conference games over 10 years chosen for the sample probably were the ones not on the P12N. They were probably when we played USC, UCLA, UU, UO, or UW. In skimming the article the impression I got was that CU was the limiter of the sample size having the fewest rated games to use

Also, in the graphic you can Stanford being 3rd in terms of ratings.
There’s also the fact that CU has no rival in the Pac 12. Stanford has Cal and SC, WSU has UW, etc. Bad football, no meaningful games, no rival.

Haha. What set them off? Tell me what thread and I can post it here
It was a thread called “Colorado…lol” which was posted in their “Other Teams” board and was started after we lost to Oregon. It was about 19 pages deep. I went yesterday to respond in that thread. It had disappeared. So I started a thread asking if it was deleted. Apparently it got moved to their “HOT TOPICS” forum which I guess is their version of Barzil …. That’s why I couldn’t see it. I then asked if someone could DM me what was said and why it got moved. I was told by “Big Red Max” The head honcho that it was “none of my business, it’s being handled and to stop cluttering up the forum with threads asking what happened” to which I gave him a “rolls eyes” emoji reaction. That’s it. An eye roll reaction got me banned.

Last edited:
It was a thread called “Colorado…lol” which was posted in their “Other Teams” board and was started after we lost to Oregon. It was about 19 pages deep. I went yesterday to respond in that thread. It had disappeared. So I started a thread asking if it was deleted. Apparently it got moved to their “HOT TOPICS” forum which I guess is their version of Brazil…. That’s why I couldn’t see it. I then asked if someone could DM me what was said and why it got moved. I was told by “Big Red Max” The head honcho that it was “none of my business, it’s being handled and to stop cluttering up the forum with threads asking what happened” to which I gave him a “rolls eyes” emoji reaction. That’s it. An eye roll reaction got me banned.
What a bunch of snowflakes.

UA/ASU?? UW/WSU?? Uhhh no. Those are regional rivalries that have no real national interest, much like the egg bowl or backyard brawl. As a true rivalry game CU/Nebraska is absolutely top 10, but it’s also likely behind big brand games like Penn State/tOSU, LSU/Bama, USC/UM/tOSU, UGA/FL, etc
I love how you passionately argue about completely subjective matters.

0052041-lcee.jpg

0052033-buxb.jpg

0052028-awli.jpg

Meh - that's less than reliable data.

First off, Pac 12 network and "Pac 12 After Dark", ie, the reason this conference died, make interconference comparisons invalid.

That even rings through inside the conference, although to a lesser extent. If you sucked, like we did, you were relegated to the P12N where your numbers died. If you were good, like USC, Oregon, and Utah were, you were more likely to be on the national networks. In fact the fact that Utah's are so low, despite their success, is a story that bears looking into.

ETA - look at Washington's viewership numbers so far this year, even though they're a top 10 team. 100% because their less than stimulating opponents thus far have put UW on the P12N twice and Peacock once. I would imagine they have the lowest viewership numbers among top 25 teams.

It was a thread called “Colorado…lol” which was posted in their “Other Teams” board and was started after we lost to Oregon. It was about 19 pages deep. I went yesterday to respond in that thread. It had disappeared. So I started a thread asking if it was deleted. Apparently it got moved to their “HOT TOPICS” forum which I guess is their version of Barzil …. That’s why I couldn’t see it. I then asked if someone could DM me what was said and why it got moved. I was told by “Big Red Max” The head honcho that it was “none of my business, it’s being handled and to stop cluttering up the forum with threads asking what happened” to which I gave him a “rolls eyes” emoji reaction. That’s it. An eye roll reaction got me banned.
He’s a cvnt. He banned me years ago.

Back