What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. Cougars Game Thread

Kidding aside. I just dont get it. I watch all kinds of teams and games on Saturdays. How is it these other teams are competitive at least? We have different staffs, same results. Different players, same results. I am off the HCMT train. I am in stop talking and prove it mode. Not saying he isn't the guy "yet".
But we have been down this same path far to many times. We are epic bad again and I dont see it changing this season again.

Kidding aside. I just dont get it. I watch all kinds of teams and games on Saturdays. How is it these other teams are competitive at least? We have different staffs, same results. Different players, same results. I am off the HCMT train. I am in stop talking and prove it mode. Not saying he isn't the guy "yet".
But we have been down this same path far to many times. We are epic bad again and I dont see it changing this season again.
I wonder if we smoke more weed than the other teams? Seriously

I don’t get it either...

preseason - tougher, better conditioned, stronger...

first few games - second half/Q4 team, defense learning...

A guy like Landman, that went lights out last year, is now lost. He lead the team in tackles and INTs last year...blew plays up. This year he is leading the team in tackles, but it’s not in the same fashion. Players aren’t being utilized correctly to take advantage of their skills. It’s scheme and coaching going into week eight.

for offense, at this point, the future is now. Laviska is leaving, and I wouldn’t blame him. He made his opportunity, and needs to take it. Montez has made his legacy as a Buff, and more or less sealed it by the end of last season. Golden arm, lead brain, and a seemingly toxic attitude. When you are rushing the way Fontenot was last night, you keep hitting on that button. Down a few scores or not, clearly the rushing game is winning over passing. Rushing is what is going to keep the ball out of the other teams hands. ****ty scheme and calling on the OC.

there are some great looking kids coming in...but the Buffs need to plug the holes with adequate kids for the positions that need them...OL, and pretty much the entire defense.

onward to the next game...?

It's not that hard to understand.

The defense is playing a little below the level as what we expected in the preseason. That's mainly due to injury. Our CB position is paper thin and that's the position we got most injuries. But again, in a lot of games, the defense did enough.

The offense is the main problem. It's not the WR, it's not the RB. OL is much better than last year.

We were competitive in the first 3 quarters, don't just look at the score. We were competitive, we just couldn't score.

So the reason is clear. We are not competitive overall because of one position.

It would take an in depth look but my sense is that it’s pretty common for first year HC’s and their programs to struggle. So I’m not going to panic over our struggles.

It’s a lot of things.

Starting with game preparation and in-game coaching. Very questionable to poor on both sides of the ball. They do not play to strengths as evidenced by how messed up it is to have Nate Landman dropping in coverage or not running the ball to use clock and trying to wear down an opposing defense. Then there’s the utter and complete lack of a pass rush which exposes the separately and correctly posted secondary and Nate Landman into soul destroying stick moving, regardless of down and distance, by the opposing offense and eventual score rolling. Which then forces the Buff offense and Steven Montez to feel pressure, which they are terrible at managing, to pass the ball with an OL that doesn’t know how to, or can’t pass protect. So Montez and the coaching staff waste first down with a pass to the flat for no gain. Then on second down they try to throw a fade down the sideline that Montez telegraphs coming out of the huddle and it sails out of bounds. And then on third down his primary receiver is totally covered because Steven locked onto him pre-snap so he rolls out of the pocket at the first sign of pressure and heads for the sideline and throws it into the seats before being sacked. So, they go 3 and out a lot and that puts an increasingly frustrated, thin, tiring defense on the field a lot and they eventually cave and want to go home, like the rest of us.

Which then forces the Buff offense and Steven Montez to feel pressure, which they are terrible at managing, to pass the ball with an OL that doesn’t know how to, or can’t pass protect.

What? So you are saying Steven Montez can only perform when we are up 21?

Both sides of the ball are struggling, but the difference in leadership between Montez and Landman could not be more stark. Say what you will about him struggling in coverage and what not, but Landman was definitely a spark yesterday and helped somewhat keep us in the game in the second quarter. He was fighting. Montez looked pretty checked out from the beginning. Whomever is the QB next season will be a dramatic improvement merely by being a true leader.

It's not that hard to understand.

The defense is playing a little below the level as what we expected in the preseason. That's mainly due to injury. Our CB position is paper thin and that's the position we got most injuries. But again, in a lot of games, the defense did enough.

The offense is the main problem. It's not the WR, it's not the RB. OL is much better than last year.

We were competitive in the first 3 quarters, don't just look at the score. We were competitive, we just couldn't score.

So the reason is clear. We are not competitive overall because of one position.
I'd like to add, poor red zone playcalling.

I didn't watch much of the game but I did notice that Montez wasn't changing the play at the line. I wonder if they took that away from him?

Anyone know how to break a curse?

red zone playcalling

red zone play-calling is only poor when they don't work. To all the fans of every single team, there will also be a couple of BAD play calls in every single game.

That's not why our offense sucks.

The scariest part about all of this for me is do we start seeing the best recruits decommit? Do we see lots of transfers? I hope not.

Both sides of the ball are struggling, but the difference in leadership between Montez and Landman could not be more stark. Say what you will about him struggling in coverage and what not, but Landman was definitely a spark yesterday and helped somewhat keep us in the game in the second quarter. He was fighting. Montez looked pretty checked out from the beginning. Whomever is the QB next season will be a dramatic improvement merely by being a true leader.
Landman was nails. So much respect for him. He and Davion Taylor played their hearts out

I wonder if moving Chev back to OC might be a consideration because either our offensive play calling sucks or our players have no clue what their assignments are. Why on a 3rd and 7 do we only have 3 receivers running routes and they’re all over 20 yards downfield? I mean why are we not rolling a back out of the backfield or bringing a TE underneath coverage? Is it bad play calling or missed assignments?

It would take an in depth look but my sense is that it’s pretty common for first year HC’s and their programs to struggle. So I’m not going to panic over our struggles.
I agree, but it’s tough because I really thought Tucker and this staff, while not good enough for the long term, was an upgrade over the last one. With Viska, a 5th year Senior QB, grad transfer LT, a far better OL Coach, and a few really good defensive players in the front seven, I really thought this team could at least improve by a game and make a bowl.

This team looks about as good/bad as MM’s 5th/6th year teams so I think there’s definite reason for hope, but I hate that they changed the defense so dramatically that our best players on that side became JAGy. The scheme doesn’t fit the personnel.

My only assumption is that Tucker is willing to suffer the short term pain of getting smoked like this, to make sure his defensive scheme and philosophy is engrained in the program going forward.

I have to believe that he and RG have a long term plan and this is part of it.

I wonder if moving Chev back to OC might be a consideration because either our offensive play calling sucks or our players have no clue what their assignments are. Why on a 3rd and 7 do we only have 3 receivers running routes and they’re all over 20 yards downfield? I mean why are we not rolling a back out of the backfield or bringing a TE underneath coverage? Is it bad play calling or missed assignments?

Chev playcalling would be in conflict with what Tucker wants to do.

Agree. Just not ready to give up on Johnson by any stretch. Would like to see this offense with a running threat at QB.
Yeah you know I have been pounding the table for a more dual threat QB. I’m not all that down on Johnson either. How many times have we pointed out that there are receivers open and Montez just doesn’t step up in the pocket? Johnson is his coach and playcaller, but at some point, the player has to make the plays.

BTW how did Lytle get hurt on that play. I have watched a couple times now and he was hardly touched and barely hit the ground.

Yeah you know I have been pounding the table for a more dual threat QB. I’m not all that down on Johnson either. How many times have we pointed out that there are receivers open and Montez just doesn’t step up in the pocket? Johnson is his coach and playcaller, but at some point, the player has to make the plays.

I'm concerned about Johnson-we had those same two guys call the Rammie game. Kelly Stouffer called out Montez that night for throwing off his back foot on more than one occasion, and 7 weeks later he's still doing it (Stouffer made a couple comments yesterday about how he was doing it again).

Back