What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. Cougars Game Thread

I agree, but it’s tough because I really thought Tucker and this staff, while not good enough for the long term, was an upgrade over the last one. With Viska, a 5th year Senior QB, grad transfer LT, a far better OL Coach, and a few really good defensive players in the front seven, I really thought this team could at least improve by a game and make a bowl.

This team looks about as good/bad as MM’s 5th/6th year teams so I think there’s definite reason for hope, but I hate that they changed the defense so dramatically that our best players on that side became JAGy. The scheme doesn’t fit the personnel.

My only assumption is that Tucker is willing to suffer the short term pain of getting smoked like this, to make sure his defensive scheme and philosophy is engrained in the program going forward.

I have to believe that he and RG have a long term plan and this is part of it.

We need results quicker now-getting smoked on a weekly basis now is the kind of stuff that has you on the hot seat going into year 3

I think we are concerning about the wrong thing is Johnson is the one we call out. Yes, he didn't fix Montez. Who did? His playcalling is average at worst.

We have way more important problems not related to Johnson.

I'm concerned about Johnson-we had those same two guys call the Rammie game. Kelly Stouffer called out Montez that night for throwing off his back foot on more than one occasion, and 7 weeks later he's still doing it (Stouffer made a couple comments yesterday about how he was doing it again).

You're concerned because he cannot get a 5th year who doesn't give a **** about mechanics (and never has) to employ better mechanics? I get criticisms about playcalling, but blaming him for Montez being uncoachable is weird.

I'm concerned about Johnson-we had those same two guys call the Rammie game. Kelly Stouffer called out Montez that night for throwing off his back foot on more than one occasion, and 7 weeks later he's still doing it (Stouffer made a couple comments yesterday about how he was doing it again).
You’re concerned about Johnson because Montez’s fundamentals haven’t gotten better? He’s a 5th year senior and is who he is at this point.

You know they work with him in practice and I’m sure he looks great without the threat of pressure. I said it a few weeks ago, but if they were serious about coaching the bad stuff out of him, they should have made specific periods in practice where he was fully live and had to operate the offense with the threat of being hit. Of course, they would never do that, though, so we get to see him revert back to bad habits when it matters most

Yeah you know I have been pounding the table for a more dual threat QB. I’m not all that down on Johnson either. How many times have we pointed out that there are receivers open and Montez just doesn’t step up in the pocket? Johnson is his coach and playcaller, but at some point, the player has to make the plays.

Receivers are open. Running lanes are open. Same old ****, different week.

And that second INT from a 5th year with 30ish starts? Just brutal.

You’re concerned about Johnson because Montez’s fundamentals haven’t gotten better? He’s a 5th year senior and is who he is at this point.

You know they work with him in practice and I’m sure he looks great without the threat of pressure. I said it a few weeks ago, but if they were serious about coaching the bad stuff out of him, they should have made specific periods in practice where he was fully live and had to operate the offense with the threat of being hit. Of course, they would never do that, though, so we get to see him revert back to bad habits when it matters most

I'd agree with that, but a simpler solution than even that would have been to go get a grad transfer before this year. If you don't think you can fix his issues, you need to find somebody to provide him with more competition than Noyer, Lytle, and Stenstrom have provided to this point.

Last edited:
Kidding aside. I just dont get it. I watch all kinds of teams and games on Saturdays. How is it these other teams are competitive at least? We have different staffs, same results. Different players, same results. I am off the HCMT train. I am in stop talking and prove it mode. Not saying he isn't the guy "yet".
But we have been down this same path far to many times. We are epic bad again and I dont see it changing this season again.
Poorly talented players steeped in a losing culture. 3-4 year project.

It would take an in depth look but my sense is that it’s pretty common for first year HC’s and their programs to struggle. So I’m not going to panic over our struggles.
Typically a new coach comes in because of poor team performance in recent years/games. (Or because a better program took him away - not the case here.) Therefore it’s not surprising the Buffs are struggling. Are they as bad as the last couple of games? I wouldn’t have thought so, but maybe.

I'd agree with that, but a simpler solution than even that would have been to go get a grad transfer before this year. If you don't think you can fix his issues, you need to find somebody to provide him with more competition than Noyer, Lytle, and Stenstrom have provided to this point.

Who was this mythical grad transfer out there that would have been better than what we had? Jalen Hurts wasn't coming here.

Preseason projection to go in first. Post season, doubt it if his personal stats don't get better.
I think he’s a guy who is likely to be somewhat stat proof. He’s shown what kind of player he can be with the ball in his hands, and he’s done it just enough to where it’s not just a fluke. The more important concern was his health, IMO. He needs to remain healthy the rest of the year to prove he isn’t injury prone.

definitely going backwards at this point.

montez appears immune to coaching and had his worst game ever. i feel bad for lytle. too early to judge stenstrom. 3rd string guy who likely hasn't seen snaps with the first team all year.

the defense settled down and played a lot better than i expected, considering the roster.

play calling sucked. yeah, everyone always says that after a loss, but it really did suck. run the ****ing ball. some of the yards were in garbage time, but i feel like we are seeing improvement in the run game.

goals from here out: identify the guys who can play and get them reps. figure out how to build on offense on the guys we expect to have here next season and the base of guys who are showing they can play the rest of this season. identify the main gaps. looks to me we need some plug and play dbs and a qb.

viska is going pro. he will be missed. i didn't think we'd regret what he wasn't able to do this season, but that's where we are. it isn't on him, but this is not the last season we hoped for.

Did you really think asking for at least a 1 game improvement over last year was too much to expect? Granted, I’m more optimistic than most, but I expected 7+ but I really didn’t think the defense would regress under this staff like it has.
Yes. I predicted four. Upgraded to five after NU. I’m in for four at this time for next year.

I'm ready for the Mel Tucker era to end!
After another performance that was spot on reminiscent of the Embree era, he pointed to two missed field goals as issues (one of which was 52 yarder into the wind on a rainy day). He simply doesn't get it. Yeah, he has a great demeanor but he and his coaches are no better than the Embree era.
I'm not interested in waiting 4 years for him to realize that his offensive Coordinator is garbage. Great coaches get it done, teach the players and get results. Losing coaches lose. It's apparent where he falls, particularly blaming a kicker and quarterback for a defensive that gives up 50 points to average teams. James Stefano isn't the problem, the coaches are absolutely the issue, when they aren't wise enough to realize that the Buffs WR's can play 5 deep and outplay any DB combo in the Pac12. Instead, they call pass protect packages using only 3 WR's, leaving sub par TE's on the field instead of elite WR's. Very disappointing.

definitely going backwards at this point.

montez appears immune to coaching and had his worst game ever. i feel bad for lytle. too early to judge stenstrom. 3rd string guy who likely hasn't seen snaps with the first team all year.

the defense settled down and played a lot better than i expected, considering the roster.

play calling sucked. yeah, everyone always says that after a loss, but it really did suck. run the ****ing ball. some of the yards were in garbage time, but i feel like we are seeing improvement in the run game.

goals from here out: identify the guys who can play and get them reps. figure out how to build on offense on the guys we expect to have here next season and the base of guys who are showing they can play the rest of this season. identify the main gaps. looks to me we need some plug and play dbs and a qb.

viska is going pro. he will be missed. i didn't think we'd regret what he wasn't able to do this season, but that's where we are. it isn't on him, but this is not the last season we hoped for.
Belichick will pick up Shenault in the 2nd round and I'll have to give up the NFL for good. Viska as a Pat is a conundrum I can't wrap my head around.

Preseason projection to go in first. Post season, doubt it if his personal stats don't get better.

After the combine, Viska won’t be around in the 2nd.

Even if he is an early 2, he should still go pro. If I were the Broncos and he's still there late in the first round, I'm trading back into Round 1 and getting him. They need all the offensive weapons they can get.

After another performance that was spot on reminiscent of the Embree era, he pointed to two missed field goals as issues (one of which was 52 yarder into the wind on a rainy day). He simply doesn't get it. Yeah, he has a great demeanor but he and his coaches are no better than the Embree era.
I'm not interested in waiting 4 years for him to realize that his offensive Coordinator is garbage. Great coaches get it done, teach the players and get results. Losing coaches lose. It's apparent where he falls, particularly blaming a kicker and quarterback for a defensive that gives up 50 points to average teams. James Stefano isn't the problem, the coaches are absolutely the issue, when they aren't wise enough to realize that the Buffs WR's can play 5 deep and outplay any DB combo in the Pac12. Instead, they call pass protect packages using only 3 WR's, leaving sub par TE's on the field instead of elite WR's. Very disappointing.

Lol, team is 3-4 in year 1.

FIRE THEM ALL!!

Go find a hobby...Maybe you could take up coaching for the Buffs since you believe you have all the answers.

Even if he is an early 2, he should still go pro. If I were the Broncos and he's still there late in the first round, I'm trading back into Round 1 and getting him. They need all the offensive weapons they can get.
There are many teams who can use a mega versatile, playmaking, and fast WR. Viska will be ready for the Combine and will wow people. If there are odds of Viska to be drafted in the First, I’d max the bet.

giphy.gif

STFU!!! Coach Tucker is the right guy
You have some good points stuffed inside a flaming bag of turd premise

Back