What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. UW Game Thread --- 1:30 PM on FOX

After rewatching...

Udub mostly lined up in these formations nearly all game...
3-2-6
2-1-8
4-1-6
5-1-5
4-2-5

They dared us to run against these fronts all game. We obliged and got no push in the 2H. I don’t care about being predictable. These fronts meant that they didn’t respect our OL’s ability to block them at all. Their DL really dominated. They were getting pressure even when they had the 2, 3, and 4 man fronts.
Wow. The fact Adams is still moving guys in and out all game is mind blowing. The oline is broke

Watching Utah dismantle USC just causes me to wonder where we stand as a coaching staff. We NEVER out coach a team that is favored over us. We win the games we should win and that’s about it. There is a reason we can’t beat a ranked team on the road.

The simple answer is this. We have talent to compete at our skill positions, and our defense as a whole is pretty good on the line and in the backfield. Our offensive line is below average, and hasn't come up to bite us this year until now.

The simple answer is this. We have talent to compete at our skill positions, and our defense as a whole is pretty good on the line and in the backfield. Our offensive line is below average, and hasn't come up to bite us this year until now.
Our defensive backfield is not good.

After rewatching...

3-2-6
2-1-8
4-1-6
5-1-5
4-2-5

They dared us to run against these fronts all game. We obliged and got no push in the 2H. I don’t care about being predictable. These fronts meant that they didn’t respect our OL’s ability to block them at all. Their DL really dominated. They were getting pressure even when they had the 2, 3, and 4 man fronts.

What frustrates me about that then is that we were succeeding in throwing the ball even with those formations when Steven could get the ball off quickly and in rhythm. But so many of the play calls were either runs right up the gut, longer developing play action, or longer routes.

There never seemed to be a consistent effort to move the ball through the air. No quick screens at all, and very few quick timing routes. Montez excels at the quick out, for example, and he was very successful with it on the few times when they'd throw it on 1st or 2nd down. We just didn't try it very often.

I have not seen good RPO action with a good fake at all lately
I have not seen a legitimate RB Screen that is set up with the proper OLine technique
I have not seen us intelligently use combo routes to create wide open guys
I did not see them use the Triangle backfield in this last game to create more protection
I also do not think that McMillan can run between the tackles with his lack of lean and pad level, which means I actually think that Bish should have got some carries, or they should use the RPO toss sweep action to get him outside where he is really good with his drop and quick steps.

What frustrates me about that then is that we were succeeding in throwing the ball even with those formations when Steven could get the ball off quickly and in rhythm. But so many of the play calls were either runs right up the gut, longer developing play action, or longer routes.

There never seemed to be a consistent effort to move the ball through the air. No quick screens at all, and very few quick timing routes. Montez excels at the quick out, for example, and he was very successful with it on the few times when they'd throw it on 1st or 2nd down. We just didn't try it very often.

IMO, if your OL can’t get chunk run yardage against super light boxes, your offense has major issues.

The pass game is also why I brought up the pressure they were getting with these light boxes. To start the game, we did have success with shorter passes and even the TD to Arias. That’s because the OL created good enough pockets in which Montez could operate.

As the game progressed, we had lineman falling backward or whiffing on their assignments completely. I keep harping on Tonz and Kaiser; but, the combination of their horrific play is why udub could dominate. When Tonz is letting dudes through in pass pro or is on his arse, Montez can’t step up into a cleaner pocket. When Kaiser is simultaneously whiffing on his assignments, Montez’ normal instinct to roll right is blunted by guys running in his face.

You know who was once again a really bright spot, imo, during yesterday's game? Javier Edwards. That dude is soooooo much better this year. I know Brian Howell has been saying this too, but Javy has really done well. And against UW no less, he made some nice stops. That dude deserves some atta-you's.

D played pretty well mainly and were in position on some key stops and whiffed on the tackle.
O is really disappointing. No identity. OL is ridiculous. RB rotation?? We did finally have a TE sighting a few plays I guess that is good?

D played pretty well mainly and were in position on some key stops and whiffed on the tackle.
O is really disappointing. No identity. OL is ridiculous. RB rotation?? We did finally have a TE sighting a few plays I guess that is good?
The fact that 34 does not get several blows per game should tell you something. It’s really thin back there.

I have not seen good RPO action with a good fake at all lately
I have not seen a legitimate RB Screen that is set up with the proper OLine technique
I have not seen us intelligently use combo routes to create wide open guys
I did not see them use the Triangle backfield in this last game to create more protection
I also do not think that McMillan can run between the tackles with his lack of lean and pad level, which means I actually think that Bish should have got some carries, or they should use the RPO toss sweep action to get him outside where he is really good with his drop and quick steps.
I don’t think you know what the RPO is

We can't get any sort of push from our OL.

Washington's secondary is elite. They're playing 6 in the box with a safety kept very deep. You have to be able to run against that if you're going to have a chance against that defense. The failure is much more concerning to me than the play calling. Play calling is too predictable and by the book, but if you're going by the book against the matchup you shouldn't be getting stoned in the run game.
OL was very much the liability.

Lol I still can’t believe we have a starting OG who was a lowly recruited DL.
Unfortunately that problem, lack of OL quality and quantity, has been readily mentioned around here for years. Apparently, it is the one position group this staff cannot recruit well. It is almost like there was a crony OL coach who doesn't cut the mustard hanging around....

After rewatching...

3-2-6
2-1-8
4-1-6
5-1-5
4-2-5

You can expect similar gameplans the rest of the way. UU, WSU and Cal IMO, have the DL to make it work. There are going to be some more games like this one before the year is out.

Unfortunately that problem, lack of OL quality and quantity, has been readily mentioned around here for years. Apparently, it is the one position group this staff cannot recruit well. It is almost like there was a crony OL coach who doesn't cut the mustard hanging around....
Actually two of them hanging around.

Loyalty will get you beat.

...and last week.

After rewatching...

3-2-6
2-1-8
4-1-6
5-1-5
4-2-5

Yep, our O-line is non existent. It's never a good thing when the back is having to start making cuts when he's still in the damn backfield because nobody is being blocked. They need to recruit the hell out of the lines.

Yep, our O-line is non existent. It's never a good thing when the back is having to start making cuts when he's still in the damn backfield because nobody is being blocked. They need to recruit the hell out of the lines.
tenor.gif

Well, it’s been a few days, but mad as hell still. My sling didn’t record the encore performance of the game, so I got up just in time to see the final 5 minutes of that. I shut off the TV and went back to bed with 1:30-ish left. I caught glimpses of the score at 7-0 and 13-7 during the day, so I thought Chev made good on his word...The defensive front is playing great. The offense is starting to sputter due to line play...and what happened to the money gang?

Back