What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. UW Game Thread --- 1:30 PM on FOX

They gave us a ton of chances-the turnover on the 3 yard line, the leaping the shield penalty, the pick Browning threw at the end of the first half..........and we couldn't take advantage. Pathetic.

Maybe if Fisher gets into the end zone on the pick, things would have been different in terms of playcalling and everything changes. But alas.

Not really. Our line was a lot worse last week than today.

Did you watch the game?

They got major penetration/pass rush rushing 2-4 guys.
Kaiser whiffed at least a half dozen times.
Tonz was literally pushed on his arse twice.
We were a little over 3 ypc against 4-6 man boxes.

They got whipped.

We ran for 100+ and aside from a couple late sacks, Montez had enough time to make throws. I've seen this O-line get whipped, but today they just got beat here and there, and there continue to be way too many miscommunications on who has to block who.
Did you watch the game?

They got major penetration/pass rush rushing 2-4 guys.
Kaiser whiffed at least a half dozen times.
Tonz was literally pushed on his arse twice.
We were a little over 3 ypc against 4-6 man boxes.

They got whipped.

Sucks to take L’s on these last two but we’re still ahead of where I thought we would be in the season and I’m still optimistic we can over perform my initial 7 win bet.

We can get better. We’ll get a few more W’s this year and we’ll get to a bowl game.

I guess we have 3 more "should" wins and 2 toss ups, but the toss ups are at Folsom

We ran for 100+ and aside from a couple late sacks, Montez had enough time to make throws. I've seen this O-line get whipped, but today they just got beat here and there, and there continue to be way too many miscommunications on who has to block who.

It is cute that you think CU running for 115 yards on 35 carries is a success.

It is cute that you think CU running for 115 yards on 35 carries is a success.
Yeah, and Oregon had 170 on 49 carries, and Auburn had 147 on 45 carries, Utah had 129 on 29 carries, an BYU had 34 of 28 carries, and ASU had 164 on 40 carries.

UCLA is the only team that averaged more than about 4 yards per carry, as they had 150 on 27 carries.

Point is, UW has an excellent run defense. Rushing for over 100 on them, by us, is absolutely a success and kept us competitive.

Me and Duff haven't always hit it off, he was right about this, though. That game was right there for them. You come up empty with turnovers, you're weeping, yes I know we got a couple they only got a fg on. The should wins is what I'm talking about. It was right there, they didn't take care of business.

People really need to move away from total yardage for passing and rushing to make their point and look at **** like yards per attempt.

Does my head in when a Defense that gives up the fewest yards against the run or pass gets called the best in that category.
From a defensive standpoint, giving up the fewest yards in a particular statistic, is essentially the best in that statistical category over the course of a season.

People really need to move away from total yardage for passing and rushing to make their point and look at **** like yards per attempt.

Does my head in when a Defense that gives up the fewest yards against the run or pass gets called the best in that category.
Agree. Efficiency measures are more important, more predictive of success.

Success against a team that's this good against the run is different than success running against a team like Oregon State. If you'd have given me an O/U of 3.5 yards per carry today, I would have taken the under.

From a defensive standpoint, giving up the fewest yards in a particular statistic, is essentially the best in that statistical category over the course of a season.

What's the better unit?

This is a NFL example

Run D
Total Yards 1363 (2nd)
Yards per Carry 4.0 (15th)
Rushing attempts faced 344 (fewest by 39)

Pass D
Total Yards 3643 (29th)
Yards per attempt 6.3 (4th)
Completion pctg 56.1 (3)
Rating 70.1 (4)
Pass attempts against 613 (most by 33)

What's the better unit?

This is a NFL example

Run D
Total Yards 1363 (2nd)
Yards per Carry 4.0 (15th)
Rushing attempts faced 344 (fewest by 39)

Pass D
Total Yards 3643 (29th)
Yards per attempt 6.3 (4th)
Completion pctg 56.1 (3)
Rating 70.1 (4)
Pass attempts against 613 (most by 33)
Is that passing total mean 29th worst or 4th best against the pass? Is this the same team, or are these each a different team?

It's hard to judge anything based on this data. The team you posted the rushing numbers for might have been scoring a ton of points and not had to face that many rushing attempts. They were still good against the run though.

You can't really judge season totals without knowing how teams performed in certain situations, IE first and 10, 3rd and longs. Just looking at end of season stats doesn't tell a complete story either.

For this example I'd go with the pass defense shown because they didn't allow a high percentage or yardage total despite facing a lot of attempts.

Back