What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. UW Game Thread --- 1:30 PM on FOX

What's the better unit?

This is a NFL example

Run D
Total Yards 1363 (2nd)
Yards per Carry 4.0 (15th)
Rushing attempts faced 344 (fewest by 39)

Pass D
Total Yards 3643 (29th)
Yards per attempt 6.3 (4th)
Completion pctg 56.1 (3)
Rating 70.1 (4)
Pass attempts against 613 (most by 33)
This is apples to oranges. I was under the impression you were talking about comparing rush defenses to other rush defenses.

Is that passing total mean 29th worst or 4th best against the pass? Is this the same team, or are these each a different team?

It's hard to judge anything based on this data. The team you posted the rushing numbers for might have been scoring a ton of points and not had to face that many rushing attempts. They were still good against the run though.

You can't really judge season totals without knowing how teams performed in certain situations, IE first and 10, 3rd and longs. Just looking at end of season stats doesn't tell a complete story either.

For this example I'd go with the pass defense shown because they didn't allow a high percentage or yardage total despite facing a lot of attempts.

That's the same team. 29th most yards given up.

chev needs to get his head out of his ass...all that short crap can work against the crap teams but against the big boys who play big boy football you need to pass downfield...to have 3 chances from the wash 10 yardline and never throw it into the endzone is redic

So good or bad? That seems like way too few yards given up to be the 29th worst pass defense in football for yardage, unless this is a 25 year old stat.

Bad.

That's the 2005 Denver Broncos, btw. A team that commonly had early leads and forced their opponents to abandon the run.

This is apples to oranges. I was under the impression you were talking about comparing rush defenses to other rush defenses.

I was talking about the whole defense unit and even with rush defenses, wouldn't you agree that the one that gives up less yards per carry is the better unit?

Attempts faced
A 337 (fewest)
B 428 (5th fewest)

Total yards given up
A 1267 (fewest)
B 1430 (5th fewest)

Yards per carry
A 3.8 (6)
B 3.3 (1)

Does team A truly have the better run D when it gives up half a yard per carry more than unit B while facing almost 6 fewer rushes a game?

Success against a team that's this good against the run is different than success running against a team like Oregon State. If you'd have given me an O/U of 3.5 yards per carry today, I would have taken the under.

You would’ve been right. We were under 3.5 per carry.

We ran for 100+ and aside from a couple late sacks, Montez had enough time to make throws. I've seen this O-line get whipped, but today they just got beat here and there, and there continue to be way too many miscommunications on who has to block who.
Chev went way out of his way to protect them today. 35 carries to get 119 yards.

People really need to move away from total yardage for passing and rushing to make their point and look at **** like yards per attempt.

Does my head in when a Defense that gives up the fewest yards against the run or pass gets called the best in that category.
I put damn near zero on numbers these days. This football and past football are very different. You can't hit or touch anyone. I guarantee you those numbers wouldn't be there if you could play now. It is what it is, I guess.

I can't remember a game where the first defender on a play missed so many tackles.
Thank you for noting this. I thought I was the only one and it was becoming maddening. Not sure who to blame for it, but everyone saying that Elliot did awesome today apparently did not see this.

Thank you for noting this. I thought I was the only one and it was becoming maddening. Not sure who to blame for it, but everyone saying that Elliot did awesome today apparently did not see this.
So the player was in position to make a play...and didn’t? And this is the coach’s fault? This site is exhausting.

So the player was in position to make a play...and didn’t? And this is the coach’s fault? This site is exhausting.
Yes. If it’s one player doing it over and over, it’s the player. If it’s every player but 2, it’s coaching.

Just finished watching the game on DVR, what a boring game. A few observations- our offense is non existent without Laviska, our run game sucks, and the red zone offense is pretty bad. Good news is we beat Oregon state next week and are bowl eligible.

I don't think it's fair to say (not that anyone is saying explicitly this) that Montez had a bad game. He was 10/12 at half and really did not get put in very many great situations by the staff.

I still believe Montez is a great QB at CU and his best moments are ahead of him.

that was your basic "moral victory" game.

we kept it close and executed. we just didn't have the bodies.

without naming names, our offensive line got ****ing rolled. i was super pleased to see a whole bunch of guys catch passes. i thought our play calling had many, many questionable moments.

i thought our defense played well, considering a whole bunch of factors; what i would say overall about the defense is that we are generally well-coached and that translates to generally being in position.

we are what we thought we were (dennis green, kinda). we can win out. i honestly believe that. but, i hope that the involvement of a bunch of guys on offense opens up some game planning.

After rewatching...

Udub mostly lined up in these formations nearly all game...
3-2-6
2-1-8
4-1-6
5-1-5
4-2-5

They dared us to run against these fronts all game. We obliged and got no push in the 2H. I don’t care about being predictable. These fronts meant that they didn’t respect our OL’s ability to block them at all. Their DL really dominated. They were getting pressure even when they had the 2, 3, and 4 man fronts.

After rewatching...

3-2-6
2-1-8
4-1-6
5-1-5
4-2-5

They dared us to run against these fronts all game. We obliged and got no push in the 2H. I don’t care about being predictable. These fronts meant that they didn’t respect our OL’s ability to block them at all. Their DL really dominated. They were getting pressure even when they had the 2, 3, and 4 man fronts.
^This

Thanks for going back and looking at this.

After rewatching...

3-2-6
2-1-8
4-1-6
5-1-5
4-2-5

Thanks for going into this. Hard to run a screen game or even go deep if you can't protect against 3 much less 4.

Sorry for not being informed on injuries but what's wrong with Delrick A. and for how long?
Thanks in advance....

I didn't get to see the game today and only was able to hear the last quarter on radio..

Having dinner in downtown Seattle and Brady Quinn and crew are here too. Hope he did okay on the broadcast, otherwise I might need to let him know....

Back