What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFP Selection Freakout Thread

CFP clown show...

Sleepy GIF by Cirque du Soleil

I haven't read the entire thread, so help me understand the protocol.

To me, if you're an undefeated P5 conference champion, you have to be in the playoffs (assuming that there's not four other undefeated P5 champions); otherwise, what's the point?
Conference championship is one of the five criteria used to rank comparable teams. Wins or being undefeated is not.

The protocol is, and always has been, pick the SEC champion and the other three best teams.
For better or for worse, big time college football is largely regional. Folks in the south care more about this sport than in other regions. Attendance, ratings, program support, etc. all exceed what other parts of the country do. This is a business. In their current form, Alabama & the $EC are more relevant than F$U & the A-PCC.

FSU should not have been top four last week if the JT injury means that much. They really should not be #5 ahead of Georgia (and probably behind Ohio State as well) if that is the reasoning of the committee.
Exactly. They are full of **** keeping them 3 and then using this excuse. Almost like they thought it was a get out of jail free card in the backpocket.

What should be the Orange Bowl line?
Irrelevant, bc transfer portal etc. for eliminated teams.

If they were in a playoff, then Georgia -6.5.

If Georgia and Bama played tomorrow I'd favor Georgia.

If your standard is always to default to Vegas then your CFP field should be Bama, UGa, Mich, tOSU.

You have to selectively favor W/L and Conf Champ, when it suits you to not have Michigan and Washington in the same bucket as FSU, Texas and Bama and somehow exclude tOSU and UGa, and explain the rankings that were published last week.

Irrelevant, bc transfer portal etc. for eliminated teams.

If they were in a playoff, then Georgia -6.5.

If Georgia and Bama played tomorrow I'd favor Georgia.

If your standard is always to default to Vegas then your CFP field should be Bama, UGa, Mich, tOSU.

You have to selectively favor W/L and Conf Champ, when it suits you to not have Michigan and Washington in the same bucket as FSU, Texas and Bama and somehow exclude tOSU and UGa, and explain the rankings that were published last week.
I’m not defaulting to Vegas. I just asked a question.

My default is comparing Bama and FSU according to the Committee protocol.

There are five criteria. Two favor Bama. One is not relevant. And they are equal on the other two.

This is how the Committee made their decision.

That doesn't explain at all why FSU was #3 last week.
F$U was not a top 4 team after JTrav is out for the year. But, for optics, F$U were included because they remained undefeated. It was a low-stakes choice and was mostly irrelevant.

When the chips were down, the committee had to determine the “best” matchups for their teevee shows. At that stage, an F$U team who people feared would be pedestrian on offense was actually poor on offense, so the sentiment changed.

I’m not defaulting to Vegas. I just asked a question.

My default is comparing Bama and FSU according to the Committee protocol.

There are five criteria. Two favor Bama. One is not relevant. And they are equal on the other two.

This is how the Committee made their decision.
That is how you believe the committee made their decision, despite the fact that it is not consistent with how they ranked FSU last week.

That is how you believe the committee made their decision, despite the fact that it is not consistent with how they ranked FSU last week.
Manhattan explained that very well.

Do you want to take FSU or Bama against the criteria?

It is not about wins, but Georgia had a stranglehold on #1 the whole time. Quite frankly, Michigan had a good case for #1 after beating Ohio State. The criteria is so fluid from week to week.

That doesn't explain at all why FSU was #3 last week.

It doesn't really matter. They were number 4. I could see how a Bama win over the #1 team, plus UT crushing Okie Lite, plus FSU looking inept on offense, could cause Bama and Texas to jump FSU.

To be honest, the inclusion of Alabama over FSU seems pretty straight-forward to me. You always seem to have reasonable takes. In this case, I think you just hate Alabama.

Manhattan explained that very well.

Do you want to take FSU or Bama against the criteria?

Manhattan explained it very well.

But his explanation is not at all a good defense of the committee. Quite the opposite actually.

It's not that Georgia is favored. It's that FSU is a 13-point underdog. Clearly, that shows they are not one of the top 4 teams at the moment.

Manhattan explained it very well.

But his explanation is not at all a good defense of the committee. Quite the opposite actually.
Who was in FSU’s group of three last week? I can’t recall.

Bama wasn’t. That comparison only became relevant this week given circumstances.

It doesn't really matter. They were number 4. I could see how a Bama win over the #1 team, plus UT crushing Okie Lite, plus FSU looking inept on offense, could cause Bama and Texas to jump FSU.

To be honest, the inclusion of Alabama over FSU seems pretty straight-forward to me. You always seem to have reasonable takes. In this case, I think you just hate Alabama.

I hate Bama, but I also watch them a lot. They're a really good team this season, but this is a lifetime achievement recognition to put them at #4. Do you honestly think Ole Miss or Missouri would get that same bump?

Can we just compare the two teams using the Committee criteria? You take FSU. I’ll take Bama. Or I’ll do FSU. And you do Bama. Then we can be finished.
That's not how the published committee protocol works.

You have to force FSU and Bama into the same bucket, and not have Washington or Michigan in that bucket for the factors that the committee says they consider to be relevant.

You already know that I think FSU is a slight dog to Bama.

If we ignore the committee's previous rankings and believe that motivated reasoning and SEC bias didn't get them to the direct comp, then using the committee's published factors, I take Bama's last two weeks over FSU's last two weeks by a slim margin, and then I say that with 3 weeks to modify their offense for Rodemaker it's basically a coinflip between Bama and FSU.

The missing player thing has to go. There's a hundred other dudes on that team that earned the spot.
Maybe they should put in the 4th and 31 protocol when playing a ****ty team. They should lose more influence for having their healthy starting quarterback in there as well.

Do you honestly think Ole Miss or Missouri would get that same bump?

If they just beat Georgia in a conference championship game and their only other loss was to the #3 team early in the season? I absolutely believe Ole Miss or Missouri would get that bump. It's not like FSU is Wake Forest.

That's not how the published committee protocol works.

You have to force FSU and Bama into the same bucket, and not have Washington or Michigan in that bucket for the factors that the committee says they consider to be relevant.

You already know that I think FSU is a slight dog to Bama.

If we ignore the committee's previous rankings and believe that motivated reasoning and SEC bias didn't get them to the direct comp, then using the committee's published factors, I take Bama's last two weeks over FSU's last two weeks by a slim margin, and then I say that with 3 weeks to modify their offense for Rodemaker it's basically a coinflip between Bama and FSU.
Let’s just use the criteria to compare. I don’t see why that is so hard.

Back