What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Why even write this... It offers nothing of value to anyone, and god forbid local media helps in any capacity.
[redacted]
You're new here, This is only your 13th post, so you probably need to learn a few rules, here's one:
  • Never link or read any article from the DP because their sports editor and most of the staff writers hate CU.

Last edited:
Why even write this... It offers nothing of value to anyone, and god forbid local media helps in any capacity.
(****ty DP article redacted)
Who the **** is this Matt guy? He can go **** himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I just say that it sure as hell appears that RG knows what he's doing?

1. Start with establishing the fact that he runs a "tight" AD that's not going to leak **** to the media. Doing that helps you get higher quality candidates. There are guys out there (who we all would probably be quite happy with) that are interested in the job, but there's no way in the world they would express interest if there was a chance their name could get leaked.

If you have a pretty good gig now that you don't want to risk losing, but actually would be interested in coaching CU because of _______________, ______________, etc (we can all fill in those blanks with lots of reasons why a coach would prefer CU to a number of other schools) - you can't express interest in CU if there's a reasonable chance your name gets out. But if you're confident that your candidacy will remain confidential - you're willing to throw your hat into the ring.

2. He wasn't speaking off the cuff when he said that he wants championships; "conference championships and national championships" to be exact - and there's a reason the national guys picked up on that, and are putting that quote in their stories. Coaches out there know that CU has invested quite a bit in facilities, and that the current AD is the one who made that happen. They know that the current AD didn't hire MM. They know that you can win championships at Colorado.

The type of coaches we want to hire want to work for programs that want to win championships. They don't want to work for programs that are happy with bowl games. RG putting it out there this way does one thing: it improves the quality of candidates that are going to be interested in the job.

It's RG's first high profile job hire - and he's going about it in exactly the right way.

I can't wait to see who we get.
I think chances are less than 50/50 that hire comes from someone already mentioned

Not on board with EB as head coach either. He is OC in KC in name only. Andy Reed is the OC there. If we could get Andy, well now I think that would be great. No thanks on EB.
EB calls plays in KC. I think Reid is still bringing him along in that aspect, and you could see last night Reid got more involved late in that shootout than he typically has this season. EB will be a Head Coach in the NFL within the next 2 seasons. I just don't see any chance that RG even considers him for the CU job.

EB calls plays in KC. I think Reid is still bringing him along in that aspect, and you could see last night Reid got more involved late in that shootout than he typically has this season. EB will be a Head Coach in the NFL within the next 2 seasons. I just don't see any chance that RG even considers him for the CU job.
I'd be surprised if EB wanted to come back at this point. I think he prefers the NFL and he came back for 2 years out of a sense of duty to his best friend and his alma mater.

Just listened to Woelk from cubuffs.com on the Pac-12 channel on SiriusXM.

A few things he said of interest:

1. Colorado wins when they have an identity and RG is very aware that historically Colorado has been successful with an identity of physical toughness, running the ball and defense. I think RG is looking to establish the long term identity of the program.
2. Colorado has gone the G5 route twice recently with modest success. His opinion is that RG is going P5 this time. Coordinator or HC candidates.
3. He is not hearing much Dana Holgorsen talk in his circles.

Last edited:

1. Colorado wins when they have an identity and RG is very aware that historically Colorado has been successful with an identity of physical toughness, running the ball and defense. I think RG is looking to establish the long term identity of the team.
2. Colorado has gone the G5 route twice recently with modest success. His opinion is that RG is going P5 this time. Coordinator or HC candidates.
To 1, I agree that's true, but I don't agree we should be chasing that mold necessarily. Lots of schools that had success pre-2000 did so in that mold. But the game has changed since then too.

1. Colorado wins when they have an identity and RG is very aware that historically Colorado has been successful with an identity of physical toughness, running the ball and defense. I think RG is looking to establish the long term identity of the team.
Washington is the style that should be emulated. Physical offense and defense that can overpower in the run game, but brings a balanced attack with the passing game.

Washington is the style that should be emulated. Physical offense and defense that can overpower in the run game, but brings a balanced attack with the passing game.
agree...but with current players flipping the switch to tough and physical will be a disaster for awhile...hope everyone has patience....our oline loves to whiff/backpeddle/ then whiff again!

agree...but with current players flipping the switch to tough and physical will be a disaster for awhile...hope everyone has patience....our oline loves to whiff/backpeddle/ then whiff again!
I think 50% of making that transition is mental and starts with at the top with the HC instilling it in the staff and players. I think the same personnel we have now could perform drastically different next year with the right mentality and cultural change in the staff. But you're right, they need to get physically bigger and tougher on the OL.

#1 makes me so happy to hear. Our back yard recruiting area produces offensive linemen and a smattering of skill players. But really, OL is where it's at in Colorado prep recruiting. Our best teams offenses have always been built on linemen, and a good proportion of them were recruited in our back yard.

We can't do what the other teams in the conference are doing and rise to the level of success that we want.

Pro style, QB dependent offense? We'll always play 2nd fiddle to U$C.
Go fast, RPO style? we'll struggle to catch UCLA & Oregon
Air Raid? One of the founding fathers of the Air Raid is probably going to retire in the conference.

People say that we can't "compete with Stanford," but can't we?

Yes, Stanford will always have the upper hand on recruits for whom academics are the most important consideration.

But there are a whole hell of a lot of good players out there for whom academics are not the most important consideration.

If you want a good academic school, with a rocking stadium* and a campus with great social opportunities, do you pick Boulder or Palo Alto?

There's a certain type of recruit for which we will never beat out Stanford in a head-to-head recruiting battle. But there are a lot of other types for which we'll actually have the upper hand in that head-to-head battle.

*Folsom during winning and esp championship seasons always has been and always will be a far, far superior atmosphere to Stanford Stadium - hell, it's frequently a livelier and more fun place in a losing season that Stanford Stadium is during a championship season (I had to look it up, and yeah, their stadium is literally named "Stanford Stadium").

1. Colorado wins when they have an identity and RG is very aware that historically Colorado has been successful with an identity of physical toughness, running the ball and defense. I think RG is looking to establish the long term identity of the program.
AS For #1 and #2
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ege-footballs-power-five-dont-use/1456619002/
Go get Jeff Monken
“If I was coaching today,” Switzer says, “I would line up in the spread and I would run three-back option plays out of the spread. I would have misdirection motion. I would have the passing game off of it, too – but I would make people defend the option game first.”
Big Ten Network analyst Gerry DiNardo, who had success in the triple option as an assistant at Colorado and as a head coach at Vanderbilt – but did not run it when he moved to LSU – agrees with Niumatalolo.
“Would it work at a struggling program? I don’t think there’s any doubt,” DiNardo says. “But the perception is it will hurt you in recruiting and in ticket sales, because it’s considered antiquated and outdated and not exciting.”
“Guys are concerned about the optics of it,” Niumatalolo says, “but the biggest optic (should be) they want to win. … I think you would sell tickets by winning.”
I will now duck and cover!

Agreed, but Monken does have Army in the top 25
Also solves our OL ****ty pass blocking issues!

No-Monken and whateverhisnameis from Navy would have worked really well at Kansas, Rutgers, or Oregon State. This isn't a rebuild like those are.

Agreed, but Monken does have Army in the top 25
Also solves our OL ****ty pass blocking issues!

Two main problems I see with triple option (or something close):

1. When things are rolling, things are good. But when that offense goes sideways, seasons tank quickly because there is no real fix on the fly during a season.

2. Your defense is at a disadvantage because they are not seeing enough good looks in practice at regular offenses.

Two main problems I see with triple option (or something close):

1. When things are rolling, things are good. But when that offense goes sideways, seasons tank quickly because there is no real fix on the fly during a season.

2. Your defense is at a disadvantage because they are not seeing enough good looks in practice at regular offenses.
I agree, this was mostly tongue in cheek.
Just got me thinking about RG response about identity.
RG was here when we were winning and had an identity.
With teams running the RPO we need to find a way to orchestrate a triple RPO (3xRPO)

Several sources are reporting that USC is going to keep Helton. Could be a load of bs, but would be awesome if we remained the best opening available!

Several sources are reporting that USC is going to keep Helton. Could be a load of bs, but would be awesome if we remained the best opening available!
If true that is glorious. Can we get Lynn Swann to give him an extension?

I think 50% of making that transition is mental and starts with at the top with the HC instilling it in the staff and players. I think the same personnel we have now could perform drastically different next year with the right mentality and cultural change in the staff. But you're right, they need to get physically bigger and tougher on the OL.

Agreed, for the mental aspect, take a look at Oregon this year. They haven’t played exceptionally well all season but that’s a team that is very physical and wants to hit. Very different from Oregon teams of the past with similar recruits

Point #1 is music to my ears. Couldn't agree more with this. It's how we set our brand apart from the rest of the Pac.

Back