What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Just listened to Woelk from cubuffs.com on the Pac-12 channel on SiriusXM.

A few things he said of interest:

1. Colorado wins when they have an identity and RG is very aware that historically Colorado has been successful with an identity of physical toughness, running the ball and defense. I think RG is looking to establish the long term identity of the program.
2. Colorado has gone the G5 route twice recently with modest success. His opinion is that RG is going P5 this time. Coordinator or HC candidates.
3. He is not hearing much Dana Holgorsen talk in his circles.

So great to see this...

For 2 hires now, I have preached #1 as my hope for our Buffs. Embree sounded like he wanted to do this but that staff was just missing so many other elements.

The majority of our conference plays finesse football. Oregon took that system to the highest level and got crushed by a more powerful team. Watch WSU get crushed in whatever major Bowl game they get into if they play a Big 10 or SEC school.

We don't have to compete for many Pac12 schools for the best Running style Linemen or the best Dual Threat QB. Utah pulled that backup QB out of my neighborhood in Frisco Texas. I guarantee the Buffs would have won that recruiting battle if we even tried.

Mac got us to a point now where we have a very attractive program for a coach to come in and thrive. This is the biggest hire for us since replacing Barnett.

We get the right guy, and we're a top 20 program and might actually talk Pac12 championships and playoffs.

We get the wrong guy and we slide back to irrelevance pretty quickly.

I'd be surprised if EB wanted to come back at this point. I think he prefers the NFL and he came back for 2 years out of a sense of duty to his best friend and his alma mater.
He wouldn’t come back even if begged to.

$4,000,000 doesn’t even get us in the Top 20 salaries. What is RG’s budget. If he wants to win the Pac 12 and play for a National Championship, at a minimum, he needs to offer $4M. At a minimum. All while he’s paying Mac $3M a year for 3 years.

I don’t think we can afford $4M plus. Therefore I think he goes for a top coordinator type.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach
If RG gets who he wants the salary will be in the top 20.

Not on board with EB as head coach either. He is OC in KC in name only. Andy Reed is the OC there. If we could get Andy, well now I think that would be great. No thanks on EB.

This is false.

In the game yesterday, EB called 99% of the plays.

I just don't buy it. Who did Mahomes talk to on the sideline? Reid. Reid had his play sheet and was plenty involved.

Reid is the HC. Of course he is involved in the game and the ebbs of the contest. EB called the vast majority of the plays. If we’re basing off of what the camera showed, Reid’s lips were persed and EB was calling the plays from the sheet. Reid would offer input as the boss. On several occasions, you could see him offer approval/input/suggestions per his job.

I don't mind if we go the G5 route, but RG better make damn sure that guy doesn't drag his whole G5 staff w him. He will need to find a staff of P5 coaches

I could not imagine a more disappointing HC hire than EB.

He was part of a package deal with Embree and was a major part of the most dismal two year stretch in CU football history. His offenses were awful.

I love him as a former Buff, and think he is a very bright football mind, but I cannot get over his association with the darkest times in CU history.

I could not imagine a more disappointing HC hire than EB.

He was part of a package deal with Embree and was a major part of the most dismal two year stretch in CU football history. His offenses were awful.

I love him as a former Buff, and think he is a very bright football mind, but I cannot get over his association with the darkest times in CU history.

I often wonder what it would have been like if EB was named the head coach instead of Embree, which back then is how I thought how it was going down until it didn't.

I think @Buffnik nailed this early on: EB the coach today would be in the race for this position if he weren’t on the Embree staff 7 years ago.

The problem with that: EB wouldn’t be the coach he is today without his epic failure at Colorado. He had to humble himself and go backward in his career, put his head down, and work his arse off to impress his bosses. He watched Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy in their career arcs. He didn’t leave the KCC. He stayed, studied, and waited his turn.

Now, he’s the favored Reid offensive coordinator/future HC disciple and continues to work hard to learn and show out on game day. Reid has seriously increased the space EB has gotten to call plays. Yet, the KCC offense continues to thrive. Andy Reid has said that EB will be a great head coach. Reid will do his part to make it so.

Yes, EB was awful at Colorado. But, the dude has done something many people are too proud to do: he took his lumps and is grinding even harder to get where he wants to go. He is already better for it today. It’s sad to see people here view him in a state of arrested development.

Reid is the HC. Of course he is involved in the game and the ebbs of the contest. EB called the vast majority of the plays. If we’re basing off of what the camera showed, Reid’s lips were persed and EB was calling the plays from the sheet. Reid would offer input as the boss. On several occasions, you could see him offer approval/input/suggestions per his job.

I’m a Chiefs fan. Typically under Reid, the OC is responsible for installing the gameplan for that particular opponent but Reid calls the plays. If the offense goes into a funk, then he’ll hand over playcalling duties to the OC to try and spark something different. Last year Reid called plays for at least the first 10 weeks and then handed it to Nagy after some ugly ugly performances against the Giants and Bills

ESPN has a profile on Holgo today. . . the more I read it, the less I think he is a cultural fit with Boulder. . . and please, lets have a coach that can play defense for gods sake. I know we are in an offense first world now, but, a coach that only pay lip service to the D is not my idea of a good coach.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...est-virginia-dana-holgorsen-more-quirky-coach
The great thing about the Boulder culture is that you don't have to care about the cultural fit. Package things nicely with some press releases and community events. Otherwise, this community doesn't care about CU or its football team all that much. Win and avoid national scandal. That's really the only pressure here in terms of being a "cultural fit". Biggest mistake that RG could make would be to hire someone who is going to be a great fit within this culture. That's how you get Rick Neuheisel as your HC. It's what you're prioritizing when you hire Dan Hawkins to quote sayings from Eastern religious philosophers at you. **** that noise. Hire a damn football coach and the community will be supportive and happy with him.

ESPN has a profile on Holgo today. . . the more I read it, the less I think he is a cultural fit with Boulder. . . and please, lets have a coach that can play defense for gods sake. I know we are in an offense first world now, but, a coach that only pay lip service to the D is not my idea of a good coach.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...est-virginia-dana-holgorsen-more-quirky-coach
The "cultural fit" with Boulder excuse has to be the most overused and overblown aspect of this coaching search.

The "cultural fit" with Boulder excuse has to be the most overused and overblown aspect of this coaching search.

pick a ****ing genius, over the top innovative, passionate guy who knows how to win and watch this cultural thing go away.

Mac was an evangelical christian, outspoken against all kinds of boulder orthodoxies. win. win. win. the rest is just noise.

here are the only cultural questions that matter:

1. does the guy care about his players, off and on the field, and will he help them succeed and stay on track?
2. is he in the bell curve on following all the rules?
3. is there any real likelihood he will embroil the school in scandal?

if you can get over those tiny little hurdles, then the only cultural question that matters is whether you can win, build, and win some more.

pick a ****ing genius, over the top innovative, passionate guy who knows how to win and watch this cultural thing go away.

Mac was an evangelical christian, outspoken against all kinds of boulder orthodoxies. win. win. win. the rest is just noise.

1. does the guy care about his players, off and on the field, and will he help them succeed and stay on track?

if you can get over those tiny little hurdles, then the only cultural question that matters is whether you can win, build, and win some more.
Preach it, brother!

i don't think the Boulder community has the same antipathy for CU football as it did 20-30 years ago. or the Barney "scandal" flare-up. Before moving to New Mexico just this year, i lived in Boulder for almost 30 years. the community is sanctimonious about different stuff and no self-respecting counter-culture type can afford to live there these days....unless they are part of the pseudo-Haight/legal weed tourism angle downtown that seems to be a pretty hot sell....no matter how silly. the newish tech economy people are in their own world.

Last edited:
EB is not the architect of the offense and I don't care who is calling plays. That's the easy part, as long as everything is working. The architecture of the offense, and how to attack the opponent is the key. The fact that Mahomes is talking to the HC on the sideline (not the QB coach or the assistant QB coach, and not the OC) is telling. Manhattan wants to ignore that, but it's telling as hell.

EB might make a fine HC. I wouldn't hire him as an OC from what we have seen.

Exactly. And all of the criteria you mentioned fits just about every other college town as well. People talk like there are these special considerations to take into account with Boulder that other university communities don't have to worry about. Which is almost uniformly untrue.

The biggest critique of Holgo I’ve read from WVU fans is his lack of 2H adjustments as games have progressed this year.

Even though they won, WVU only scored 7 points against TTU in the 2H.

They scored 0 points in the 2H against Iowa State.

They had a scoreless 3Q and had to ride Grier for a big 2-point conversion against UT for a dramatic win.

They only scored 10 2H points against Okie Lite in what looked to be a track meet game.

I think Holgerson is a nice coach and would be a breath of fresh air for Colorado. Even though they’re having a nice year, WVU fans are disappointed because they feel like they should’ve won the Iowa State and Okie Lite games. The ones I’ve spoken with in my area blame him for their shot at a playoff berth.

EB is not the architect of the offense and I don't care who is calling plays. That's the easy part, as long as everything is working. The architecture of the offense, and how to attack the opponent is the key. The fact that Mahomes is talking to the HC on the sideline (not the QB coach or the assistant QB coach, and not the OC) is telling. Manhattan wants to ignore that, but it's telling as hell.

EB might make a fine HC. I wouldn't hire him as an OC from what we have seen.

Playcalling is easy? Nice take.

Back