What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official COLORADO vs Arizona Game Basketball Thread

Okay. Maybe next game Tad will hit some shots and play defense for the team.

So you are denying that Tad should have called TOs when the team was obviously not performing well? Good to know ... I trust you have vast experience in coaching basketball.

There was nothing in the last few games that would have pointed to that happening. What a train wreck of a defense. And after playing so well in that department v ASU. It was not to be expected. Ten minutes into the second half the Buffs had given up.

Hey guys, just wanted to post in this thread after reading a lot of the comments. A lot of you guys are classy so I'll try and keep it classy. First, it was just a bad turn of events today for you guys. Zona hasn't been playing that well of late on offense (worse than in the nonconference schedule, were top 15 offense per KenPom at one point) so it's not surprising that the law of averages would kick in at some point. I would not be surprised if XJ's comments played somewhat of a role because they were pretty insulting. With all of this said, your program's rise is definitely good for the conference and I'm sure you guys will be back at some point. Think that Scott is the best player on your team and gives me worries every time we play you guys. XJ surprisingly (or not surprisingly) did not play well today even though he usually shows up for the UofA games. Not having Dinwiddie makes a big difference for sure, we can relate having lost Ashley who caused so many problems for the opposing team's defense. Will be surprised if you guys don't make the tourney, pac 12 is one of the better conferences in the country, you guys also beat KU. Hopefully the east coast writers don't deny you.

So you are denying that Tad should have called TOs when the team was obviously not performing well? Good to know ... I trust you have vast experience in coaching basketball.

Yes. Because there's no evidence out there that says calling TO's would have changed the result of the game. But hey Mr. Expert, go ahead and tell me how calling a bunch of timeouts would have kept Aaron Gordon from shooting lights out or would have resulted in our offense shooting better than 32% for the game.

Hey guys, just wanted to post in this thread after reading a lot of the comments. A lot of you guys are classy so I'll try and keep it classy. First, it was just a bad turn of events today for you guys. Zona hasn't been playing that well of late on offense (worse than in the nonconference schedule, were top 15 offense per KenPom at one point) so it's not surprising that the law of averages would kick in at some point. I would not be surprised if XJ's comments played somewhat of a role because they were pretty insulting. With all of this said, your program's rise is definitely good for the conference and I'm sure you guys will be back at some point. Think that Scott is the best player on your team and gives me worries every time we play you guys. XJ surprisingly (or not surprisingly) did not play well today even though he usually shows up for the UofA games. Not having Dinwiddie hurts your team for sure, we can relate having lost Ashley who caused so many problems for the opposing team defensively. Will be surprised if you guys don't make the tourney, pac 12 is one of the better conferences in the country, you guys also beat KU. Hopefully the east coast writers don't deny you.

We're going to have 6 Pac tournament teams and outside of Zona and UCLA, CU has by far the best resume. Disappointing performance tonight, but our RPI is still 28. Just one of those nights for us, but you guys clearly were ready to play. McConnell is a special talent. Enjoy

Hey guys, just wanted to post in this thread after reading a lot of the comments. A lot of you guys are classy so I'll try and keep it classy. First, it was just a bad turn of events today for you guys. Zona hasn't been playing that well of late on offense (worse than in the nonconference schedule, were top 15 offense per KenPom at one point) so it's not surprising that the law of averages would kick in at some point. I would not be surprised if XJ's comments played somewhat of a role because they were pretty insulting. With all of this said, your program's rise is definitely good for the conference and I'm sure you guys will be back at some point. Think that Scott is the best player on your team and gives me worries every time we play you guys. XJ surprisingly (or not surprisingly) did not play well today even though he usually shows up for the UofA games. Not having Dinwiddie makes a big difference for sure, we can relate having lost Ashley who caused so many problems for the opposing team's defense. Will be surprised if you guys don't make the tourney, pac 12 is one of the better conferences in the country, you guys also beat KU. Hopefully the east coast writers don't deny you.

See! I told you guys to hold out hope for a solid representative from Tuscon. Thanks UofAfan. You're a good dick ***** (not a pejorative term). Hope to see you guys in the tournament, and perhaps the Buffs will represent a bit better. Solid win for your boys tonight.

Hey guys, just wanted to post in this thread after reading a lot of the comments. A lot of you guys are classy so I'll try and keep it classy. First, it was just a bad turn of events today for you guys. Zona hasn't been playing that well of late on offense (worse than in the nonconference schedule, were top 15 offense per KenPom at one point) so it's not surprising that the law of averages would kick in at some point. I would not be surprised if XJ's comments played somewhat of a role because they were pretty insulting. With all of this said, your program's rise is definitely good for the conference and I'm sure you guys will be back at some point. Think that Scott is the best player on your team and gives me worries every time we play you guys. XJ surprisingly (or not surprisingly) did not play well today even though he usually shows up for the UofA games. Not having Dinwiddie makes a big difference for sure, we can relate having lost Ashley who caused so many problems for the opposing team defensively. Will be surprised if you guys don't make the tourney, pac 12 is one of the better conferences in the country, you guys also beat KU. Hopefully the east coast writers don't deny you.

Thank you for the post ... classy. And given our collective consciousness at the moment (not to mention the sore anuses we have from the butt-****ing you guys just gave us) ... it is appreciated (at least by this Buff).

Little tip though ... the "Enter" key is your friend. It breaks up paragraphs and makes long posts much easier to read.

You're welcome! :lol:

And he's right. I love Tad, but as I said in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one :huh:) ... I believe he totally failed to manage this game. He needs to get over his reluctance to call TOs at appropriate times (sorry Tad, but you're not John Wooden ... and you don't have Lew Alcindor or Bill Walton in your pocket). He let us get in a hole early in first half, and failed to respond when AZ started out hot at the beginning of the second. Unforgiveable IMO.

Appropriate coach speak and the game management leaves something to be desired. However, it's not all on him. We had one of our 3 current "stars" show up. Can't do that in a game like this.

Yes. Because there's no evidence out there that says calling TO's would have changed the result of the game. But hey Mr. Expert, go ahead and tell me how calling a bunch of timeouts would have kept Aaron Gordon from shooting lights out or would have resulted in our offense shooting better than 32% for the game.

So when your team is taking ill-advised, rushed shots, failing to get back on defense, and otherwise just sucking ... you as a coach just throw up your hands and say to yourself "Hey ... there's nothing I can do ... it's all on them"?

You're a true idiot.

^^^
Spoken like someone who has either been there before, or does a great job acting like it.

Our Gordon and our Johnson sure could learn a thing or two from your Gordon and your Johnson.

My teams of late haven't for the most part been doing well haha so I've been there. Quick question: any reason why Boyle didn't start Scott? Scott's always been money against us, and we already had a significant lead by the time he entered if I'm not mistaken, thought that really set the tone for the game in general.

My teams of late haven't for the most part been doing well haha so I've been there. Quick question: any reason why Boyle didn't start Scott? Scott's always been money against us, and we already had a significant lead by the time he entered if I'm not mistaken, thought that really set the tone for the game in general.

He started Ben Mills for senior night. Not the best move for us, but a classy one by Boyle.

And I appreciate your stance on KU fans. :thumbsup:

He started Ben Mills for senior night. Not the best move for us, but a classy one by Boyle.

Maybe classy, but not smart. Ben cost us at least 4 points on defense - not getting back in time and not getting in position to guard the post (plus potentially on offense by not getting any rebounds that Scott might have). Not Ben's fault that Tad put him in that position.

Regarding Mills, I didn't have a problem with him starting. What I had a problem with is that J-Hop should have started over Dustin. With the lineup Miller started, I thought Tad would have been better served to start J-Hop instead of Dustin to be able to defensively match up better with Nick Johnson. Arizona's too athletic, especially with a 3-guard lineup that forces XJ to try to stay with NJ if CU goes big.

Maybe classy, but not smart. Ben cost us at least 4 points on defense - not getting back in time and not getting in position to guard the post (plus potentially on offense by not getting any rebounds that Scott might have). Not Ben's fault that Tad put him in that position.
When I heard he was starting I figured he'd be in WITH Josh. Not FOR him. But I heard it was Josh who approached Tad suggesting Ben start. Hell, it was a cool thing to do and, hopefully, will pay dividends somehow. It sure didn't effect the outcome.

When I heard he was starting I figured he'd be in WITH Josh. Not FOR him. But I heard it was Josh who approached Tad suggesting Ben start. Hell, it was a cool thing to do and, hopefully, will pay dividends somehow.

I agree and hoped it might pay off by getting them extra pumped up. But all facets of our game take a huge hit when Ben is in for Josh - defense, rebounding, and offense. Rebounding has never been Ben's forte, and he had zero in 7 minutes tonight.

So when your team is taking ill-advised, rushed shots, failing to get back on defense, and otherwise just sucking ... you as a coach just throw up your hands and say to yourself "Hey ... there's nothing I can do ... it's all on them"?

You're a true idiot.

I'm the idiot? CU was blown off the court against Arizona save for maybe a good stretch at the end of the 1st half and you think Tad calling TO's would of changed that. LOL.

When I heard he was starting I figured he'd be in WITH Josh. Not FOR him. But I heard it was Josh who approached Tad suggesting Ben start. Hell, it was a cool thing to do and, hopefully, will pay dividends somehow. It sure didn't effect the outcome.

I don't know that I'd say it didnt effect the outcome. It was just one more thing that helped set the tone of the game. Arizona took advantage of him defensively and he threw up an extremely wild shot on his only offensive touch. Even though his minutes were limited, it definitely contributed to the 8-1 run early.

Now, having said that, we still kept it close in the first half and the game was decided on that run at about the 15 minute mark, but basketball is a game of momentum. What if Josh starts, improves the D and is able to get a bucket or two early? Does the game take a different path if get off to a 6-5 start? Maybe, maybe not but as much as I have a hard time calling out Tad for starting Ben, I do think it had some impact on the game.

I'm the idiot? CU was blown off the court against Arizona save for maybe a good stretch at the end of the 1st half and you think Tad calling TO's would of changed that. LOL.

If you don't agree with him in every way you are an idiot.... come on, you know that.

All in disagreement will be interwebs intimidated until he perceives a win. I am sure in his advanced age he is just reverting to his childhood occupation of stealing lunch money.

So re watching the game now (yes I hate myself) and watching how Arizona plays defense. They guard a man on the perimeter by extending an arm and putting a hand an inch or two away from an offensives chest or face (face guarding). As soon as our player makes a move their hand comes in contact with the body, it slows our player down and they withdraw the hand and have great body position to play defense and slide their feet.

Why isn't this hand check? Why don't we do this on defense? We give opposing players much more room to maneuver and a quick hand check to slow down momentum would be great.

Next we can worry about keeping guys from sagging on the weak side and giving up wide open 3s.

So re watching the game now (yes I hate myself) and watching how Arizona plays defense. They guard a man on the perimeter by extending an arm and putting a hand an inch or two away from an offensives chest or face (face guarding). As soon as our player makes a move their hand comes in contact with the body, it slows our player down and they withdraw the hand and have great body position to play defense and slide their feet.

Why isn't this hand check? Why don't we do this on defense? We give opposing players much more room to maneuver and a quick hand check to slow down momentum would be great.

Next we can worry about keeping guys from sagging on the weak side and giving up wide open 3s.

That was a hand check until conference play started. It's a defensive fundamental that I'd like to see CU emulate. We've seen it in the past.

The refereeing be it as it was, set the tone of play in this game early. AZ seemed to find that window and play within it. They were more aggressive, and generally playing within the contact level the refs allowed. AZ took their fouls and kept grinding. AZ was very physical at both ends. Long winded way of saying AZ adapted to the officiating and we did not.

Couple of players spent too much time complaining. Let the coaches engage the refs.

The refs were absolutely awful last night. I was rotating between baskets last night and our players (namely XJ and Scott) were getting their forearms slapped and bodied when going up by a defender going horizontal. No foul on Arizona but they were getting the soft calls on the other end. The refs weren't the reason we lost, but they were just awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many 2 inch shots did XJ miss in that stretch?
It wasn't just XJ but he missed his fair share. Time to borrow some blocking dummies from the football team and have these guys finish around the basket through contact, they probably do something like that already. That and our guys need to get stronger in the off-season.

The refs were absolutely awful last night. I was rotating between baskets last night and our players (namely XJ and Scott) were getting their forearms slapped and bodied when going up by a defender going horizontal. No foul on Arizona but they were getting the soft calls on the other end. The refs weren't the reason we lost, but they were just awful.

Ref evaluation is a loser's lament.
The refs have way too much influence on the game of basketball. It is what it is. If you like college hoops, questionable refereeing comes with the territory.
There is zero point bitching about it after this loss.

Back