What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado vs. Oregon game thread

Are you not noticing anything weird about Lanning's energy around CU and Prime?
From the brief clips and quotes posted on Allbuffs, no, I'm not picking up anything weird

I could've missed something

ASU was a 34.5 point dog to SC and they have been plagued by injuries on the OL (and QB), and they still managed to be competitive last night.

It does seem like even really bad P5 teams can play competitive games with elite teams, while CU always seems to get raced
U$C often plays down to their competition. Oregon wasn’t going to make that mistake yesterday.

U$C often plays down to their competition. Oregon wasn’t going to make that mistake yesterday.
This is what I'm saying and will continue to say. The USC game will be night and day from yesterday. Riley can't/won't be able to use the "disrespect" angle to motivate his players. And despite how much he might try to sell his players that we are still dangerous, after yesterday I think most of them will be overlooking us. Add in a home game, a very early start for a west coast team and some angry feelings among our players after that blowout, and I think you have the makings of a pretty competitive game next Saturday.

Maybe, and I get your point.

But this is one place where the score doesn't fully capture how badly we were beaten yesterday.
Your comment is not germane to the reply I gave to hawg. Lanning is continuing the legacy rebuilt by Cristobal. He’s not some sort of organizational savant or dynamic personality. He is a good football coach, but nothing special.

The 1H was bad for Colorado. Oregon kept trying in the 2H. The defense improved and the offense continued to suck. Ultimately, yesterday showed Colorado’s areas of weakness more than it showed Oregon’s strength.

Plus Travis Hunter

Both of them make life a lot easier for the other WRs and DBs.

This program has suffered from interior rot for decades. A better defensive front four would take pressure off the LBs and DBs. A better OL would allow SS to follow a progression and breathe life into a disastrous run game. Just a serviceable interior would make a huge difference.

Wasn't talking about this year. We're likely a Sun Bowl type team. They're a New Year's Six caliber team.

Next year will likely be another story.
Just saw your post. Interesting. El Paso is a 4.5 hour drive away from me and earlier this A.M. I bought a $50 "preemptive" Sun Bowl ticket on the 30 yd line. Cheap insurance if that's where we end up and if so I've avoided the rush. Reading the ticket difficulties associated w/Buff games this year has freaked me out.

Sun Bowl match-up is PAC12 vs ACC

Last edited:
Random thoughts from the game…

Went with my girlfriend (soon to be fiancé), who is a fellow CU alum, and her parents and brother, Ducks season ticket holders (but not alums, shocker) that live in southern Oregon. Beautiful facilities and excellent pregame festivities. The significant other’s parents commented that the CU alum tent was the best alum presence they’d seen at a home game. RG needs to figure out how to upgrade Folsom. The concourses, restrooms, and vendors were incredibly easy to navigate. During a long TV break, you could take a whiz, grab a beer, and be back in your seat without missing a snap.

The gf and I had seats in what I thought was the visitor’s section. Wrong. Surrounded by the rudest and most passive aggressive fans I’ve been around. ****heads, the lot of them. There are an incredible amount of ugly and fat people in Oregon. I was expecting a crowd more akin to Boulder than Lincoln. Wrong again. In fairness, the fans are very passionate and that’s the loudest stadium I’ve been in. (I’ve been to most of the Big XII and Pac-12 venues, the old Mile High for playoff games, the new Mile High, Ball Arena, including for Nugs playoff and Finals games this year - I don’t recall anything as loud as Autzen.)

Several other Oregon fans apologized to us for the behavior of the 20 or so obnoxious assholes around us. Also good interactions pre-game with Oregon fans and vendors. So I don’t mean to indict the entire fan base. Eugene is not Lincoln.

As for the game, most of the posters here have nailed it. The lines are atrocious. Shedeur has either got to make a quicker read or take a sack. He can’t run back an 10 extra yards. It’s been alluded to already, our receivers didn’t have the speed and athleticism to create space or beat Oregon defenders after the catch. This was a glaring difference from the first three games and may show itself again next week. After that, I think we’ll see offensive success akin to the first three weeks. Unless we figure **** out quick, however, next week may be rough on the offensive side of the ball. The only thing I was disappointed in yesterday was effort. (I thought the spread was about right going in.) We had to play with our hair on fire to have any chance and we looked complacent or even lazy at times.

This is part of Coach Prime’s story. Of course I wish we won, but none of us thought we were going undefeated this year. I didn’t leave the game disappointed but hopeful. As I said to my girlfriend’s family postgame, I would not be surprised if Coach Prime pushes to get a 1:1 with Oregon on a future slate. That’s who he is. And we keep receipts. Go Buffs
Your gf is from southern Oregon and you didn’t realize how many fat, ugly white people live here?

Autzen is loud and a fun place to watch a game. Very open and easy to get around. For all the opulence, it surprising how bad the visitor locker room is. It’s basically a double wide sitting in the lot behind the stadium with cones lining the path. Maybe that’s typical for visitors but it just stood out to me there.

ASU was a 34.5 point dog to SC and they have been plagued by injuries on the OL (and QB), and they still managed to be competitive last night.

It does seem like even really bad P5 teams can play competitive games with elite teams, while CU always seems to get raced
Wait...you do watch college football, don't you?! ;)

RPO and people selling out to stop the pass. The RPO is hard for us to do as Shedeur really isn't a threat to run. But they weren't creating running lanes like that last year if you watch their 2022-23 tape. Shedeur definitely has the brains and the passing ability to play in this offense but without the legs, it's hard to play a RPO styled attack. I think they should do more Air Raid concepts but all of these schemes require you to run block and we can't at this level.
Really good. We are running an RPO offense with an Air Raid QB. We've gotten away with it the first few weeks but won't going forward. Gotta figure this out.

Really good. We are running an RPO offense with an Air Raid QB. We've gotten away with it the first few weeks but won't going forward. Gotta figure this out.
He's more of a pro style which is what he did as a freshman but last year he ran the AR and this year, this RPO styled attack. I like how Lewis spreads em out but his bail out options are limited. That needs to adjust

Plus Travis Hunter

Both of them make life a lot easier for the other WRs and DBs.

This is not to in any way pretend like we aren't seriously deficient on both lines leading to those statistics but it should be kept in mind that we are also one of the very few P5 level programs to have played three P5 opponents to this point. Add that the G5 team we played treats our game like a super bowl and it is hard to compare us to programs that are playing FCS programs or bringing in MAC and Sun Belt teams for payday games.

Nobody with any sense expected turning this program around to be a one year thing. It is amazing how much progress has been made in less than a year but we aren't close to turned around.

Expect this next wave of changes to include some significant upgrades on both lines from both transfers providing immediate help and high school recruits to eventually take over.

This is not to in any way pretend like we aren't seriously deficient on both lines leading to those statistics but it should be kept in mind that we are also one of the very few P5 level programs to have played three P5 opponents to this point. Add that the G5 team we played treats our game like a super bowl and it is hard to compare us to programs that are playing FCS programs or bringing in MAC and Sun Belt teams for payday games.

Nobody with any sense expected turning this program around to be a one year thing. It is amazing how much progress has been made in less than a year but we aren't close to turned around.

Expect this next wave of changes to include some significant upgrades on both lines from both transfers providing immediate help and high school recruits to eventually take over.
Yep.

If Lanning took over Colorado this year and Prime took over for Cristobal in Eugene, Colorado loses by 60.
Prime wouldn’t, but should’ve said, “When I leave Colorado years from now, their new coach will inherit great talent like Lanning did but even better.” Or, “Lanning doesn’t have the balls to take over a 1-11 program.”

Back