What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

Welp - here's RG's opening statement when KD was introduced:

"Long time no see, for some of you. Welcome back and thanks for coming out today. I want to thank Coach (Darrin) Chiaverini for leading the program on an interim basis over the past two weeks, and ensuring that our student athletes were taken care of. Darrin is a great Buff who cares deeply about our program. I have a lot of respect and admiration for him. I also see some of our former football players here. Barry (Remington), Dave (Thistle), Conley Smith, it's great that you're here. Coach (Tad) Boyle is here. It's about family, and it's about us taking care of each other. I also would be remiss if I didn't thank Lance Carl, who was my partner in crime on this to be able to get somebody like Karl Dorrell here. I couldn't be more excited about that and also Eastman & Beaudine and their support through this process."

https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/2/24/football-karl-dorrell-introductory-press-conference-quotes

Here's that article.

That article is odd to read. The process in the hire was not good, but the article couches it as a serendipity because it was written after the inaugural season, during Covid, when the team went 4-2. We now know the team was coasting off the prior year, had limited contact with Dorrell, and the deeper he got involved, the worse things became.

Nothing about CU football makes me freak out anymore. I’m numb to the pain. Still, it’s not a good look to either A) use the same firm that placed the guy you just fired for incompetence or B) in the event that particular firm really didn’t place KD for them to have him listed prominently on the front page of their website as a “recent placement”. Either way, it’s bad optics. I realize optics don’t matter to CU, so it’s not surprising to me in the least.

This is so CU. Why do we expect anything different with the same bumbling bureaucrats running the show? Maybe E and B are the pig that finds the acorn this time. Here is what I think is really going on. E and B got RG his gig with the Rangers, so he runs home to mama, kind of the same way Bohn used Neinas for coaching searches because they got him his job. Very clubby atmosphere.

I think this is likely what happened.

1. Eastman & Beaudine helped place MT.

2. RG felt burned when MT left and thought to himself, "No way am I using them again. I'll do it myself this time."

3. RG made the worst hire in the world.

4. RG thinks to himself, "I made the worst hire in the world. I'll use Eastman & Beaudine this time around."

Doesn't explain, however, how a picture of KD showed up on their website.
I doubt #4 was up to RG. I'd assume the President of the University is involved in defining the search process and they will be looking to avoid #3 above.

ok, a few things before anyone panics further...

we don't actually know how kd got to CU.

CU likely executed and exclusive contract with the search firm, wherein they get paid regardless of whether it is one of "their" candidates or another. this is not unusual in a lot of circumstances including hiring scenarios and investment banks.

just because they were working for CU at the time of the kd hire doesn't mean they recommended him or even arranged his visits or whatever.

search firms and i-banks take "credit" any time one of their exclusive clients gets the outcome they hired the firm to help with. in the case of CU, it was the successful hiring of a new hc. even if that hc was not sourced by the firm or anything else.

the fact that the firm may have edited their site to remove the reference is a good thing-- it shows they are aware of the optics.

also, you all don't know what the firm said to CU about kd or whether it supported or recommended the hire or if they had alternative options.

clients make ****ty choices on their own, all the time.

settle down.

ok, a few things before anyone panics further...

we don't actually know how kd got to CU.

CU likely executed and exclusive contract with the search firm, wherein they get paid regardless of whether it is one of "their" candidates or another. this is not unusual in a lot of circumstances including hiring scenarios and investment banks.

just because they were working for CU at the time of the kd hire doesn't mean they recommended him or even arranged his visits or whatever.

search firms and i-banks take "credit" any time one of their exclusive clients gets the outcome they hired the firm to help with. in the case of CU, it was the successful hiring of a new hc. even if that hc was not sourced by the firm or anything else.

the fact that the firm may have edited their site to remove the reference is a good thing-- it shows they are aware of the optics.

also, you all don't know what the firm said to CU about kd or whether it supported or recommended the hire or if they had alternative options.

clients make ****ty choices on their own, all the time.

settle down.
we can go based upon the information we’ve received from news reporting, what the hiring manager actually said, and credible poster scoop. What I don’t understand: why would Rick George mention the search firm while announcing Karl Dorrell’s hire if they didn’t contribute to the decision-making process?

we can go based upon the information we’ve received from news reporting, what the hiring manager actually said, and credible poster scoop. What I don’t understand: why would Rick George mention the search firm while announcing Karl Dorrell’s hire if they didn’t contribute to the decision-making process?
that's the thing-- search firms and i-banks are whores with no self awareness. they think they add value even if they don't actually directly deliver the retained result.

they undoubtedly set up some kind of a process, reached out to candidates, did some vetting and background and "worked" with CU to identify what CU wanted in a hire. etc.

the last one to blame in the hiring of kd is a search firm... i find it highly improbable that the firm said hey ignore these other candidates who are now left and hire kd.

consultants also are very quick to jump on board an idea that the client has sold itself on. ****ING BRILLIANT they will say and then fit the idea into their preconceived criteria after the fact.

it is all bull ****.

the reason to use a firm is so that the client doesn't have to directly reach out to the target and to do some vetting and market analysis and such.

the client wants to be able to say "no, i have not had any contact with target x" and "no i never offered target z the job" and so forth.

this is seriously much ado about nothing.

also, rg gets some air cover by using a firm in all cases.

this is a big nothing burger.

I don’t think anybody is placing the blame for the KD hire on the shoulders of the search firm. That’s on RG, LC and Phil. However, I also don’t think you can feel completely comfortable with the choice of search firm when they were the ones involved in the last (disastrous) search.

I don’t think anybody is placing the blame for the KD hire on the shoulders of the search firm. That’s on RG, LC and Phil. However, I also don’t think you can feel completely comfortable with the choice of search firm when they were the ones involved in the last (disastrous) search.
this is a hot take but doesn't reflect reality--- CU needs a national reputable firm to serve as a go-between. they picked one they have used in the past and that they have connections to. it is the same reason i will use the same i-banker even if the last deal went ****ty that they "helped" me with.

this firm likely has the connections to get with the agents of all the hot prospects we may be targeting. that is all that is really needed.

do you blame the knife for cutting off the finger of the drunken fast food worker?

Maybe Dorell fit the parameters of who Rick George was looking for, so they gave him Dorrell.

also, we don't know but can likely guess as to what sort of self limitations CU imposed for the search.

i am sure getting a choir boy was high on the list of things required.

We blame guns for killing people, so my answer is: yes.
faulty analogy.

what is the intended purpose of the knife? to cut up veggies and such? what is the intended purpose of a gun?

and so forth.

there is much to get spun up about but retaining a known and apparently well regarded search firm is not one of those reasons.

faulty analogy.

what is the intended purpose of the knife? to cut up veggies and such? what is the intended purpose of a gun?

and so forth.

there is much to get spun up about but retaining a known and apparently well regarded search firm is not one of those reasons.
joke2.jpg

That's not a fact. He's still on the website. Just took this screenshot.

View attachment 55093
that is why i said apparently-- there was a post earlier suggesting it had been deleted and i am far too uncorked to verify that.

"hey mister lawyer, i know you have advised me to the best of your ability and i have made my own decisions but i still want to blame you for my own stupidity."

this is a hot take but doesn't reflect reality--- CU needs a national reputable firm to serve as a go-between. they picked one they have used in the past and that they have connections to. it is the same reason i will use the same i-banker even if the last deal went ****ty that they "helped" me with.

this firm likely has the connections to get with the agents of all the hot prospects we may be targeting. that is all that is really needed.

do you blame the knife for cutting off the finger of the drunken fast food worker?
I don’t blame the knife, but I still would think twice before using it again.

It’s a perfectly reasonable assumption to make that the firm used characteristics given to them by CU in their efforts when they “assisted” CU in hiring KD. We have the same people, apparently using the same characteristics, utilizing the same search firm, and we somehow expect a different outcome?

Back