What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

1. Your prospective job doesn't include a 5 year contract for $20m+, mostly or fully guaranteed.
2. If the CEO of said company hand picked you, I don't think your mid level manager would matter too much
I guess you’re assuming Saliman is doing the hiring and will continue to be readily accessible to the HC which I guess could be the case but would be unusual. Not having an effective or empowered AD would seem like a red flag to potential HCs. Even with a multi year contract, the AD is supposed to be the one a coach goes to with needs, concerns, run interference on boosters, and to help remove administrative roadblocks for them so they can focus entirely on coaching. I guess what I’m saying is a lack of a functioning AD may be just as bad as having a lame duck AD.

“Ok Rick, our biggest problem is that we need a coach who can help us beat our rival Alabama. They have the most successful coach and the most powerful development infrastructure in the history of college football.”

“Why don’t you tell us about your coaching hires and the process you used to select those coaches.”

(Fill in RG’s answers)

“Thank you for your time Mr George, we will be in touch.”
It won't happen, but the sheer hilarity of RG getting the Auburn AD gig and hiring KD would simply be too much.

I Hope Please GIF

There is another poster on this site who has claimed sources in the AD who has said RG is merely a figurehead at this point and Saliman is leading the HC search.

If that report is true and RG has already interviewed for that job, it would be logical to suggest that poster's claim is accurate and that RG has already been told his days are numbered. At that point, let's hope Saliman is also prepared to make a new AD hire quickly.
Salian for player-coach: read President-AD…or El Presidente…or El Comandante

The search firm process is listed below. I think the firm can assist with the placement without being the source of the name. They could’ve been involved in only the last part, the contract negotiation. Keep in mind that the Mercury News article quotes RG as saying he offered Dorrell the job before leaving his house. So, you could blame E&B for a terrible contract too, but a lot of the negotiating power could be lost when a candidate is selected prior to negotiations under its process. Regardless, there is no way to be 100% certain, but I firmly believe that Dorrell was sourced internally by RG and LC, and the contemporaneous facts support that. The picture of Dorrell on the website is marketing, and just indicates that it was involved in the process at some point in his “placement” at CU.

View attachment 55100

Again, from the Mercury News:

George’s recall was similar.

“He was there for McCartney and Neuheisel and knew what we needed. And he had a recruiting plan. He knew what to sell, the campus and the way of life.”

The doorbell rang: FedEx.

Instantly, Dorrell’s dogs, a Yorkie and Basenji, went wild.

Dorrell excused himself and headed to the door.

George turned to Carl.

“I like this guy, and I’m going to offer him the job before we leave the house.”

Carl looked at George.

“Yep, this is the guy.”

Dorrell returned, and the discussion continued for another hour or so.

By 4 p.m., George was in a great place. Dorrell? He wasn’t sure where things stood.

“I walked them to the door and thought they would be calling later to tell me if I was in or out.”

Before he reached the door, George turned to Dorrell.

“I want you to be our head coach.”
How fukking crazy this whole debacle has been…the process, the result, the contract, the personality…it is literally endless pure pain…BUT this article just draws the line in the sand of how extremely incompetently you hire someone. Absolutely amazing.

AND the search firm doesn’t worry me one bit…they will do the job a search firm normally do, and put a lot of candidates in the (unfortunately most incompetent in D1 football) lap of the decisionmaker.

The people doing the hiring should keep Russell Wilson in mind.
Often, a sportsperson is a 'superstar', because of many factors, not just their innate abilities.
I'm for not breaking the bank on a hire.
Of course, in football you are as much concerned with a coach's image and appeal to recruits, as with his ability.

The idea of sepending 100s of $1000s on a "search team" is absurd. Every college football publication and talking head, knows who is available, what they'd bring to the table and if they'd want to come here.

Last edited:
Back