What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

Trajectory.

Year 2 (2018) he goes 7-2 in conference.
Year 3 he goes 5-4
Year 4 he goes 5-3 (although this is the Covid season, which I'm willing to put an asterisk on).

Matt Campbell has done more in having Iowa State beat Herman's Longhorns in Austin in year 4.

Herman may be a top 10 level HC yet. But he's not a certified home run like a Chris Petersen type.
Plus, some guys come back from being fired with fierce motivation. Others look at the 2nd lottery ticket as the ticket to easy life.

I think there's a high ceiling here, but there's more risks than I'm comfortable with based on what we know right now. But hey, I've never met the guy!
Texas' issues run very deep. It is going to take a very special coach to get them where their boosters and fans want them to be. I am not even sure if there is a coach who can do it.

This has nothing to do with Herman being a good coach or not. He has proven to be a good coach and recruiter. This is like people yelling about how Sark isn't a good coach because of his issues at USC and how he was mediocre at Washington.

Herman would be an absolute homerun hire for CU. CU does not have the clout at this time to think they are better than this kind of hire. RG and PD have made that so. Maybe Herman flames out here if he was hired, but make no doubt about it, it would fire up the fan base like we haven't seen since Barnett and recruiting would take a massive step up. Sign me up for that, if that is the minimum

How can you tell if he can recruit? He hasn’t been anywhere long enough. Certainly didn’t set future coaches us for success at places he left.
Again, I'm not sure where this revisionist history is coming from.

At UT, his 3 non-transition classes had a 247 composite ranking of #3, #3, #8. He left his successor with the top overall QB from 2019's class (Bru McCoy) and the top overall RB from the 2020 class (Bijan Robinson).

At Houston, his non-transition class was ranked #35 as a G5 school- he signed the top rated recruit in Houston's history (Ed Oliver), who his successor got to coach. The class before he got there was ranked 89th and the class after he left was 69th.

I'm not the biggest Tom Herman fan here but my goodness some of these objections are asinine.

I like him more right now than I would normally for CU. He is probably the safest hire CU could possibly make and I think we’re in a position where we can’t afford to miss on this next hire. I think Bronco represents a MacIntyre-like floor and a Barnett-like ceiling. So in hiring Bronco we might be trading some upside for safety which is probably a smart trade right now. I still personally think we need to inject some energy and sizzle into the program so I’m more partial to Herman or someone like Gattis, but I would be perfectly happy with a Bronco hire and would happily renew my season tickets.
These are my exact same thoughts except replace Gattis with Grimes. Nothing against Gattis, I just think Grimes brings TX recruiting, OL knowledge on top of a O system that will work well here.

if Gattis could bring more transfers I would be ok with that trade off.

Is it just me or does it look like a majority of the names being bantered around look great?
I think it's simply because of how ****ty Duhrell was.
Most names mentioned would bring back some hope that we got back to being a competitive team

The Mike MacIntyre who has a 73-0 loss on the schedule this year and needed OT to beat someplace called Bryant University? Yeah, no thanks.
MikMac walked into a University that makes CU look like Bama in terms of its support of FB. FIU was using Miss St.'s retired gear (e.g. helmets, shoulder pads etc.) because FIU would not spring for anything else. Cut the guy some slack.

Last edited:
Most of the names being bandied about are pretty decent. That means, of course, that we will end up hiring some random guy none of us have heard of. The options are good. We just don’t seem to be willing to capitalize. Prove me wrong, RG.

MikMac walked into a University that makes CU look like Bam in terms of its support of FB. FIU was using Miss St.'s retired gear (e.g. helmets, shoulder pads etc.) because FIU would not spring for anything else. Cut the guy some slack.
Ok, you want to hire him back? Because I still don’t.

This, and Midnight Mel's contract, should be fireable offenses.

Rick George should have already been fired! Several of us have a lunch scheduled in early November with the new President - we are going to let him have it as it relates to RG. I thought he would be good early in his tenure, but he's really nothing more than a glorified, empty suit salesman.

I know for a fact that fund raising to the AD has dried-up. He has managed to completely alienate key boosters like George Solich and others. He also alienated coaches in Tucker, Mike MacIntyre and Jim Leavitt. He makes enemies or thoroughly ignores those who disagree with him. He won't work hard why is why the AD has so many long-time cronies who have no fire or desire to be great. Most amazingly to me, even when our recruiting is demonstrably terrible, he staunchly defends it to boosters.

His main concern in the last year has been himself, which is why he negotiated a sizable salary increase and extension despite failing the football program miserably. He is too worried about himself to push back against the DiStefano to loosen the ridiculous restrictions for transfers.

He's got to go - real $$$ for CU are at stake here!

Rick George should have already been fired! Several of us have a lunch scheduled in early November with the new President - we are going to let him have it as it relates to RG. I thought he would be good early in his tenure, but he's really nothing more than a glorified, empty suit salesman.

I know for a fact that fund raising to the AD has dried-up. He has managed to completely alienate key boosters like George Solich and others. He also alienated coaches in Tucker, Mike MacIntyre and Jim Leavitt. He makes enemies or thoroughly ignores those who disagree with him. He won't work hard why is why the AD has so many long-time cronies who have no fire or desire to be great. Most amazingly to me, even when our recruiting is demonstrably terrible, he staunchly defends it to boosters.

His main concern in the last year has been himself, which is why he negotiated a sizable salary increase and extension despite failing the football program miserably. He is too worried about himself to push back against the DiStefano to loosen the ridiculous restrictions for transfers.

Godspeed in November.

Yeah, that is exactly what I said.:rolleyes:
The post I was responding to did say that, so unless you felt the same way I’m not sure why contextualizing MM’s disaster of a program was necessary. His predecessor went 1-16 in his last 2 seasons and still never lost 73-0 to Western Kentucky.

The post I was responding to did say that, so unless you felt the same way I’m not sure why contextualizing MM’s disaster of a program was necessary. His predecessor went 1-16 in his last 2 seasons and still never lost 73-0 to Western Kentucky.
Maybe I just wanted to contextualize it. We often agree, but I still do not feel compelled to have your permission to comment as I see fit.

What has kept the big boosters from getting RG fired thus far? More buyout money?

I would agree with you-again. I prefer Herman to Bronco, but if I know I'm getting Robert Anae with Bronco.......that decision becomes a little tougher. I honestly think if we're deciding between those two, we're not going wrong.
Bronco Landable score 3/10
Herman 2/10

These are my exact same thoughts except replace Gattis with Grimes. Nothing against Gattis, I just think Grimes brings TX recruiting, OL knowledge on top of a O system that will work well here.

if Gattis could bring more transfers I would be ok with that trade off.
Gattis Landable Score 6/10
Grimes 3/10

Maybe I just wanted to contextualize it. We often agree, but I still do not feel compelled to have your permission to comment as I see fit.
You don’t need my permission, but you’ll get my snark when you defend a guy who is getting boat raced by 73 in conference and squeeking by FCS programs one year removed from the Northeast Conference.

You don’t need my permission, but you’ll get my snark when you defend a guy who is getting boat raced by 73 in conference and squeeking by FCS programs one year removed from the Northeast Conference.
Oh dear, I will be on the look out.

MM made us respectable after Hawk/Embree made us worst P5 program. After MM, Tuck/Dorrell again made us the worst P5 program. Your vitriol should be directed elsewhere.

Back