What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

I was driving home from my daughter’s tonight and listening to some national sports talk guy. He had a guy named Pete Fiutak on, who I’ve never heard of. When the host asked him about Deion to Colorado, he said, “I’m jealous! At Wisconsin we get Luke Fickell. Colorado is going big. They didn’t go for a Fickell or Herman or Freeze or Rhule. They got Deion Sanders!”

He thinks this is great for Colorado and that Colorado fans should really have fun with this. He also said, “Why go to the SEC where you’re going to always go 8-4 or 7-5 when you can win big at Colorado?”

That guy sounds like a dumbass. Fickell was a damn good hire as well.

Typically, the involvement of someone at Saliman's level with this sort of thing directing a person in RG's position would be to set an expectation, find out what was needed from himself and the organization, and ask who the "blue sky" candidate would be.

If Saliman made everything happen that he was told was necessary and then was told that the recommended hire was anyone other than the blue sky guy, it would be normal for a good CEO to put a stop to any talk of settling and make sure they put the full court press and singular focus on landing the blue sky.

I might disagree with you, however I Totally understand where you are coming from. I believe he finally got the backing from the President, and Saliman has removed obstacles that hindered RGs job. Amazing what the AD can do with the proper support.
The intel I have is that Saliman made this deal happen. RG was along for the ride. He wasn’t driving the car.

Hopefully these former players stepped up as the high donors (either for coach and/or NIL):
David Bakhtiari: career earnings ~$91mm so far
Nate Solder: career ~$78mm
Jimmy Smith: ~$60mm

Typically, the involvement of someone at Saliman's level with this sort of thing directing a person in RG's position would be to set an expectation, find out what was needed from himself and the organization, and ask who the "blue sky" candidate would be.

If Saliman made everything happen that he was told was necessary and then was told that the recommended hire was anyone other than the blue sky guy, it would be normal for a good CEO to put a stop to any talk of settling and make sure they put the full court press and singular focus on landing the blue sky.
Typically, when executives get so heavily involved in making Athletic decisions, it’s born out of ego and the results are dismal. The opposite appears to be the case here.

If it's Alabama's staff then I'll throw out a guess...
Travaris Robinson:
Native of Miami, played CB in NFL for Atlanta and Tampa Bay
Coached CB's @ Florida and Miami (among other places) and is the current CB coach @ Alabama. He also was the Defensive Coordinator for South Carolina from 2016-20

Let's Go!!

Typically, when executives get so heavily involved in making Athletic decisions, it’s born out of ego and the results are dismal. The opposite appears to be the case here.
I was being more general about how it goes with a key M&A target or finding the person to lead a new business unit or initiative. Applying that to this hire and a re-launch of football in the way a good business CEO would approach the process.

I was being more general about how it goes with a key M&A target or finding the person to lead a new business unit or initiative. Applying that to this hire and a re-launch of football in the way a good business CEO would approach the process.
I wasn’t disputing your point, more just looking at it from a more specific, and equally complimentary POV.

I said it in the President thread. Saliman isn't a flashy hire, but completely understands CU and knows how to operate here. He lets the campus f it up, then swoops in after they hang themselves.

He isn't going to come out and demand this and that, because it doesn't work at CU (see Kennedy).

I was hoping he was going to be sneaky good for athletics, and I think he neutered Phil and resourced RG, who was able to make the play here.

Can someone tell me where this sudden influx of money came from? The number one reason my hopes were so dashed, especially before KD was fired, was that I thought we were broke and that our big donors had abandoned the program. I thought that we would be at a huge disadvantage because of NIL. What the hell happened?
I’m going to go out on a limb and guess the big donors were more enthusiastic about Deion Sanders than a warmed over mediocrity who spent his days running off our most talented players because they didn't kiss his ass.

The situation at Colorado is extremely unique. Aside from Colorado, no Athletic Directors who hire the worst coach in America get to hire another coach. But, given the will for a home run hire, big money folks who felt mistrustful of RG, and institutional impediments, Saliman had to orchestrate it all.

Back